New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  18:29:01  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
According to this Ansa.it article, an ancient Roman town that was even naughtier than Pompeii is now the subject of intensive new archaeological work:
quote:
Ancient sin city bears fresh fruit

Stabiae peristyle find promises more at once-hopping spot

by Denis Greenan

(ANSA) - Naples, July 11 - American, British and Italian archaeologists have made a major new find at the ancient Roman site of Stabiae, one of the hottest and most happening resorts in ancient times .

Stabiae has been neglected over the years because of its more famous neighbour Pompeii and because, frankly, there wasn't much to see there .

But now a key new partnership has been set up to dig the whole area of the ancient 'Gomorrah-on-the-Gulf' .

. . .

According to Pliny the Elder, who died when Vesuvius belched down its wrath on the Neapolitan resort towns, Pompeii was a place you could safely take your daughters, while Stabiae was strictly for the wild oats sowing set - or wilder stuff yet. Thanks to a ground-breaking Italian law, local archaeological authorities have forged a partnership with the US-based Restoring Ancient Stabiae (RAS) foundation .

. . .

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  18:40:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Why, oh why did they have to name it "Gomorrah-on-the-Gulf"?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  18:44:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

Why, oh why did they have to name it "Gomorrah-on-the-Gulf"?

The ancient Stabiae Chamber of Commerce thought it was a catchy nickname, is all. They had no idea they'd someday be competing with other claimants, like New Orleans. Besides, "Stabiae" itself has a certain violent nuance to it, while Gomorrah was a party town with an established reputation throughout the Mediterranean.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/13/2006 18:56:18
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  18:59:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMoonerThe ancient Romans thought it was a catchy name, is all. They had no idea they'd someday be competing with other claimants, like New Orleans.

New Orleans, despites its dangers, corruption and troubles will always be sweet and free to me. I met nice people there I didn't want to scalp.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  19:20:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chippewa

quote:
Originally posted by HalfMoonerThe ancient Romans thought it was a catchy name, is all. They had no idea they'd someday be competing with other claimants, like New Orleans.

New Orleans, despites its dangers, corruption and troubles will always be sweet and free to me. I met nice people there I didn't want to scalp.

I wish I had visited New Orleans, and hope I can in the future. Lazy as I am, any place called "The Big Easy" sounds good to me.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/13/2006 19:22:47
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  19:33:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

quote:
Originally posted by Chippewa

quote:

I wish I had visited New Orleans, and hope I can in the future. Lazy as I am, any place called "The Big Easy" sounds good to me.

The one time I went, I had a grand ol' time. In May it was hot but not oppresive, and the drinking was all-too-easy. Still, I never got the impression that I was below sea level. In retrospect, I'm not sure what would have tipped me off to that, but I never knew it until a few year later when the shit hit the whole damned place!
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  20:27:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
At least Rock & Bowl is now up and running again. I use to hangout there. It's a bowling alley with two music stages and an adjacent snack bar that serves the BEST hot jambalaya ever with ice cold beer for only a couple of bucks, and on top of all that, multiple bands often with fine blues musicians perform live simultaneously upstairs and downstairs.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  21:51:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I only live 1.5 hours away, but I haven't been since the storm. I really miss Central Grocery and their muffulettas...best sandwich ever!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.