Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Politics
 A nail in the despicable scumbag's coffin?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  06:18:37  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Possibly the Senate will vote on the stem cell bill today and Bush has promised a veto. This is very interesting as it's the first veto he's ever even considered. I wonder what effect it will ultimatly have on the remainder of his alledged presidentcy and the Republican Pary in general. And will it have an effect on the upcoming election?
quote:
The Senate began debate yesterday on H.R. 810, the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act, which will expand federal funding for embryonic stem cell research and open the door to enhanced treatment or cures for a wide array of maladies including cancer, spinal cord injuries, Parkinson's disease, diabetes and Alzheimer's.

The legislation would mitigate the limits on federal funding of stem cell research that Bush imposed in 2001.

But a policy statement issued by the White House said that passage of the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act would compel "all American taxpayers to pay for research that relies on the intentional destruction of human embryos for the derivation of stem cells. Should the legislation be presented to the president, he would veto the bill."

White House Press Secretary Tony Snow confirmed that on Monday saying "the administration has released a statement of administration policy expressing a veto threat about H.R. 810, the stem cell bill, that has been cleared and published… We've got a formal veto threat out for it in the form of a statement of administration policy."

"It's tragic. For six years, President Bush has refused to veto a single bill. But now he's threatening to issue his first -- ever -- on stem cell research," said Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) in a speech Monday to the 97th annual NAACP convention. "He didn't veto Republican budgets that cut from the neediest among us and plunged our country hundreds of billions of dollars into debt. He didn't veto tax breaks for Enron and Exxon, while hardworking families paid more for gas just to get to work or pick up their kids from school. But now, he's going to veto a bill that offers hope to millions of Americans suffering from cancer, or chronic and other debilitating conditions, such as diabetes, Lou Gehrig's, or sickle cell anemia."

Comments.....?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  07:24:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
My comments: he will veto it and it will have no effect on the elections. People right now don't care...with WWIII going on and the possible arrival of Our Lord Jesus Christ, there's just too much other stuff to worry about.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 07/18/2006 07:24:41
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  08:13:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
I dunno. If Nancy Reagan, who is for stem cell research, gets involved, it could have some repercussions on the elections since conservative republicans respect her. Also, it is my guess that many republicans resent the intrusion of the religious right dictating policy. So, it just remains to be seen.

Maybe I'm an optimist, but it seems to me that the shit is piling up for the republicans. There is now much more of a perception that global warming is happening and that it was the republicans who, in their denial of global warming, has made matters worse.

There is a also a perception that the Bush hands off policy on Middle East peace has in part caused, or at least failed to do anything to prevent the current problem. Not to mention the destabilization of the Middle East due to our occupation of Iraq.

I think the republicans are in deep doo doo, and this veto will not help things for them…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  08:56:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
This is exactly the reason why the Dems must train some political attack dogs. This is the kind of issue that if publicized enough the right way could really hurt Republicans. This has the potential to be one of those issues that political fence-sitters mention when they dicuss politics around the dinner table.

But instead the Dems are lame in their attacks and the only people who get their feathers ruffled are people like us. :-(

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  10:07:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
It will probably have no effect on the elections. With all the crap they have done (the Bush admin) this will be an unnoticed drop in the bucket.

I am not convinced that the dems can even shift the legislative balance at all, at this point.

Which is sad, because it seems that they should be able to regain a majority in both legislative branches if they could just focus and find a few issues (iraq, homeland security, climate change, oil prices, domestic spying, guantanamo gulag, stem cells, unethical redistricting, jack abramoff, Valerie Plame, and so on...) that they could rally around and use like a blunt instrument.

Instead we have several prominent dems who refuse to admit an error (voting to let W use military force in Iraq) for fear of being swift-boat'd by their republican challengers for election. They see how badly Shrub W hurt Kerry with "hehe hehe, ya see, he's a flipp-flopper, hehe hehe, and ya can't trust a flip-flopper, because, well, they're a flip-flopper, hehe hehe". They will do anything to avoid it.

What they don't seem to understand is their fumbling responses just make them look worse than if they would just stand up and admit error.

It would be simplicity itself to turn the whole thing against Bush and the republicans.

Senator X (D, NY): "Yes, the vote to allow the use of force in Iraq was an error on my part. I should never have trusted this president to excercise that authority responsibly and intelligently. For that, I apologize."

Will we ever hear them say it? Unlikely.

Maybe the dems should hire me as a "spin consultant".

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  13:26:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
quote:
Senator X (D, NY): "Yes, the vote to allow the use of force in Iraq was an error on my part. I should never have trusted this president to excercise that authority responsibly and intelligently. For that, I apologize."

Oh that would be so beautiful.

Alas.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  13:56:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Stem cell research is supported by about 2/3 of the American public. With a Republican-dominated Congress passing a bill to expand Federal funding for this kind of research, it's clear that the threatened veto will be an extremist action by Bush.

Rallying white evangelical extremists worked for Bush in the past, but that was when he ran for office at a time when many Americans thought he was the only hope between themselves and terrorism. Even then, the election was close, and only was won through slanderous propaganda and massive electoral fraud.

Bush has decided to side with the fundies at the expense of everyone else. Unfortunately for the Republican Party, he's preaching to a tinier and tinier choir, ans scoring lower and lower in the opinion polls. He's setting up absolutely optimal conditions for large Democratic gains in the House and Senate. Watch for a huge "reverse coat-tails" effect in the coming elections. The situation is terrible for Republicans already. Iraq, scandals, and general incompetency seem to be causing an ever-accelerating slide in Bush's support. The fundies can no longer help the Republican Party, which will soon have to decide if it wishes to collapse into a minor religious party, or reclaim its former place as a center-right party.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.