NASA's Goals Delete Mention of Home Planet
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  18:43:02  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
And the Bush administration continues its mission to downplay and ignore global warming.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/22/science/22nasa.html?ex=1154232000&en=6f9c2cc39284ab92&ei=5070&emc=eta1

quote:
In early February, the statement was quietly altered, with the phrase “to understand and protect our home planet” deleted. In this year's budget and planning documents, the agency's mission is “to pioneer the future in space exploration, scientific discovery and aeronautics research.”

David E. Steitz, a spokesman for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, said the aim was to square the statement with President Bush's goal of pursuing human spaceflight to the Moon and Mars.

But the change comes as an unwelcome surprise to many NASA scientists, who say the “understand and protect” phrase was not merely window dressing but actively influenced the shaping and execution of research priorities. Without it, these scientists say, there will be far less incentive to pursue projects to improve understanding of terrestrial problems like climate change caused by greenhouse gas emissions.

Heh, heh, it'll be fine, see, once we've screwed up this planet we'll just move to Mars.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 07/22/2006 18:43:20

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  19:38:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Given time, the 'idiot bastard president' Bush would most likely appoint Ken Hovind (Dr. Dino) Secretary of Science and Education. [major bummer face]

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  19:39:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
After a full pardon...

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  00:12:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
It's 12:10 am and the thermometer still reads almost 90 F. This is truly the hottest night I have ever experienced in my almost 30 years in WA, including the year I lived east of the Cascades.

Sooner or later no one will be able to ignore this.
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  11:00:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:
It's 12:10 am and the thermometer still reads almost 90 F.

In all fairness global warming has little to do with daily high or low temperatures in a specific location. It is quite annoying when the neocons at work shout "what global warming?" everytime we have a record low.

Global warming can be seen best by the increase in the near surface permafrost temperatures or the accelerated melting of the edges of the icecaps.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  13:54:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
DALE: I know what's wrong with your truck. It's your quote unquote pollution controls. I heard on talk radio you don't even need 'em, they're just an egghead government plot.

HANK: How is cutting down on pollution a government plot, Dale?

DALE: Open up your eyes, man. They're trying to control global warming. Get it? G-L-O-B-A-L.

HANK: So what?

DALE: That's code for U.N. commissars telling Americans what the temperature's going to be in our outdoors. I say let the world warm up, let's see what Boutros Boutros Ghali Ghali has to say about that. We'll grow oranges in Alaska!

HANK: Dale, you giblet-head, we live in Texas! It's already 110 in the summer, and if it gets one degree hotter, I'm going to kick your ass!

- King of the Hill Quotes

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.