Studies links Compassion to Good Health
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  21:28:39  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Interesting study from the Center for the Advancement of Health that was released last year. http://www.hbns.org/getDocument.cfm?documentID=1172

quote:
The people identified as religious scored high on measures of a compassionate attitude and good psychosocial health, the researchers found. When religion was pulled out of that equation, Steffen said the link between compassion and positive psychosocial outcomes remained significant. By contrast, the relationship between positive health and religion did not hold up when compassion was removed from the equation, the study found.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 07/24/2006 21:29:35

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  05:57:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
No surprise there. Doing anything that makes you feel good will ... make you feel good.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  07:51:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
I don't see how having a compassionate attitude is "doing something that makes you feel good". It is an attitude, not an act. Of course it often inspires acts of kindness that generally make compassionate people feel good, so maybe the reason the study results were what they were because compassionate people are more prone to doing things that make them feel good.

I was slightly surprised by this study. There is a great deal of suffering in the world, and so it was just as possible that having a higher amount of compassion could make one more depressed.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  07:55:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
May i also point out that "feeling good", while part of good health, is also not the same thing as good health.

I guess I was also slightly surprised by the study because I had always assumed that any connection between religion and health/happiness was primarily due to the sense of belonging and philosophical certainty. (That is, if the connection is there at all - it is still controversial and hasn't been studied enough.) But if the connection between health/happiness and religion is more due to a cultivation of compassion, regardless of whether it is religion that cultivates it, that's pretty cool.

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  13:11:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I'll add my anecdotal evidence. I have darn good health considering the things I've done. And I think I am very compassionate atheist. Perhaps that compassion is neutralizing the negative health effects of my small social circle, type A behavior and anger over the current and past political situation.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 07/25/2006 13:12:18
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  14:14:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
be wrote:
quote:
I have darn good health considering the things I've done. And I think I am very compassionate atheist. Perhaps that compassion is neutralizing the negative health effects of my small social circle, type A behavior and anger over the current and past political situation.
I feel ya!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2006 :  15:08:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Very interesting stuff. I can't help but feel that compassion is healthy all around. But this particular study seems kind of weak, relying heavily as it does upon questionnaires filled with terms subject to differing interpretations.

(This unfortunately reminds me of Futurama's "Soylent Cola," the taste of which varies from person to person.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  05:08:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

I don't see how having a compassionate attitude is "doing something that makes you feel good". It is an attitude, not an act. Of course it often inspires acts of kindness that generally make compassionate people feel good, so maybe the reason the study results were what they were because compassionate people are more prone to doing things that make them feel good.

I was slightly surprised by this study. There is a great deal of suffering in the world, and so it was just as possible that having a higher amount of compassion could make one more depressed.

This seems to mirror studies done which linked people with positive attitudes with better recovery rates. It's just labling the positive attitude differently.

Whether attributed to religion, compassion, or just general perkiness (punishable by flogging depending on time of day ), this just seems like a rehash of old research.

Religion is used to impart a sense of well being.

Compassionate people have a positive attitude because people with negative attitudes tend to be defeatist and distrustful of others.

General perkiness, we've all seen this person. And if they were really perky and it was really early in the morning and we weren't morning people, we've all wanted to physically hurt them. This is positive attitude on steroids.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  15:30:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Compassionate people have a positive attitude because people with negative attitudes tend to be defeatist and distrustful of others.

That's not necessarily true. I distrust government and all advertisers, I don't believe anything slightly woo unless there's evidence. But I go out of my way to help people and stick up for most anyone being picked on. I chose nursing as my profession and so on.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  05:14:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

That's not necessarily true. I distrust government and all advertisers, I don't believe anything slightly woo unless there's evidence. But I go out of my way to help people and stick up for most anyone being picked on. I chose nursing as my profession and so on.

Should have said distrustful of others by default.

Sorry.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.