Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  14:35:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Now Mel is pleading temporary insanity. This article from CNN has some details.

Gibson says:
quote:
"I am a public person, and when I say something, either articulated and thought out, or blurted out in a moment of insanity, my words carry weight in the public arena," he said. "As a result, I must assume personal responsibility for my words and apologize directly to those who have been hurt and offended by those words."
He is saying the right words:
quote:
"There is no excuse, nor should there be any tolerance, for anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of anti-Semitic remark," Gibson said in a statement issued by his publicist. "I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested on a DUI charge."
ABC is now dropping Gibson's Holocaust miniseries:
quote:
Gibson has a Mayan-language film called "Apocalypto" due later this year, and his film company, Icon Productions, had been producing a mini-series set during the Holocaust for ABC. The television network announced Tuesday that it was dumping that project.

"Given that it's been nearly two years and we have yet to see the first draft of a script, we have decided to no longer pursue this project with Icon," the network announced. But ABC's corporate parent, Disney, said "Apocalypto" remains in post-production and is scheduled for release in December.
Meanwhile, this Jewish reaction perhaps sums things up best:
quote:
"We are glad that Mel Gibson has finally owned up to the fact that he made anti-Semitic remarks, and his apology sounds sincere. We welcome his efforts to repair the damage he has caused," Abraham H. Foxman, national director of the Anti-Defamation League, told The Associated Press. "Once he completes his rehabilitation for alcohol abuse, we will be ready and willing to help him with his second rehabilitation to combat this disease of prejudice."

"I welcome his words. And I hope and pray that they are sincere and heartfelt," but Gibson needs to show "tangible actions" of repentance, Rabbi Mark S. Diamond of the 280-member Board of Rabbis of Southern California told the AP.

"I don't want to minimize for a moment the hurt and anger, the anguish, his words have created in our community," he said.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  11:53:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Repeat DUI offender pleads guilty: For her sixth charge, Susan West faces fine, up to one year in jail

The laws are strict enough? Right.....

quote:
The woman whose repeat drunken driving arrests and fatal crash launched a major state crackdown on DUI offenders has pleaded guilty to her sixth charge.

Prosecutors say Susan Lynn West will face the maximum sentence of one year in jail and a $5,000 fine when she is sentenced Aug. 28. West, 48, has remained in custody since being arrested June 18 for driving drunk in Bellevue.

West had pleaded guilty in 1997 to vehicular homicide for causing a drunken crash that killed 38-year-old Mary Johnsen, a mother of two, as Johnsen walked hand-in-hand with her husband in their Sammamish Plateau neighborhood.

Her most recent arrest in Bellevue came about six months after she was released from probation for Johnsen's death. She got out of prison in 2003 after serving six years of a nine-year sentence.

Prior to the fatal crash in 1997, West had been arrested for drunken driving in Pullman in 1978, in Seattle in 1985, in Marysville in 1989 and Fall City in 1991. Two of the cases were deferred, and one was dismissed.

Because she'd been arrested four times for drunken driving prior to the fatal accident, her case spurred several new state laws in 1998 designed to crack down on drunken drivers.

Earlier this year, the Legislature passed a law making it a felony to have a fifth DUI conviction in 10 years or a DUI conviction after a prior vehicular homicide conviction.

But since that law won't take effect until next July, it doesn't apply to West.

She had DUIs from 1978 to 1991. You can bet the farm she was drunk behind the wheel thousands of times for the 4 she was caught before the fatality. And of those, 3 were essentially ignored by the courts.

She served 6 years for killing a pedestrian. They should have sentenced the judges that let her off the three previous DUIs.

She only gets one year for the 6th DUI. And while the law was changed because of her specific case, the legislature was so gutless they made it a felony to get your 5th DUI! And it took them 8 years just to pass that. And, not one legal action to address an alcoholic's being a danger to themselves or to others which is a standard we do apply with other mental disorders.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 08/16/2006 11:55:15
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds.