Astronomy
 Thank You
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Michael Mozina
SFN Regular

1647 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  16:05:42  Show Profile  Visit Michael Mozina's Homepage Send Michael Mozina a Private Message
I just wanted to thank Kil, Dr. Mabuse, John, Ricky, Cuniformist and the rest of this crew. I've learned a great deal here over the past year, and I've come to very much appreciate the skeptical review I've recieved here. At this point, I don't feel there is a lot more that I can say here until the STEREO data comes out. I also have a lot of work to do both for my business, and some new solar theory papers I'd like to write based on what I've learned here over the past year.

I just wanted to thank you all for your time, your efforts, and even your tough skepticism. I beleive it has served me well, I'm very pleased to have met all your aquaintances. It's truely been a pleasure.

Thanks.

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  06:33:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Well, Michael, it has certainly been educational for me, too. I am unfortunately unable to comment on the surface-of-the-sun issue (partly because it involved things I am very unfamiliar with, and partly because at 8+ threads, I simply cannot begin to catch up on what I've missed). However, the matter and the big bang thread really made me think about some things and do some real investigating. The book The Big Bang: the Origin of the Universe, by Simon Singh (discussed here) in particular really opened my eyes to a lot. Of course, Michael, I find the Big Bang to be a particularly compelling model for explaining the early early universe, but perhaps in the future we will be proven wrong. Ultimately, I plan to do a follow-up to the thread-- perhaps poor Robb is still curious?-- based on what I've read. However, I, like you, have some other things not skeptically-related to finish up on.
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  07:45:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
Michael certainly was an interesting character. He is either a crackpot or the single most important scientific mind to ever grace the planet. His ideas would completely overturn all aspects of physics and cosmology.
Michael writes in a very lucid, measured, and convincing style - it is just that his subject matter is nonsensical.
I felt sorry for Michael at first because he has so much invested in his theories, but the truth is he will never be proven wrong. No matter what evidence is presented he will go to his grave convinced that future generations will gather around his statue and marvel at how his contemporaries could not see the sheer genius.

PS. Don't worry Michael is not really gone - he is a little like the Bob character in What About Bob?.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  07:52:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur
PS. Don't worry Michael is not really gone - he is a little like the Bob character in What About Bob?.

Well, I didn't figure he'd really been gone. He's still fighting with Dave over the surface of the sun thing. And I would not be surprised if a new rumble starts regarding the Big Bang...
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  13:20:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Mozina

I just wanted to thank Kil, Dr. Mabuse, John, Ricky, Cuniformist and the rest of this crew. I've learned a great deal here over the past year, and I've come to very much appreciate the skeptical review I've recieved here. At this point, I don't feel there is a lot more that I can say here until the STEREO data comes out. I also have a lot of work to do both for my business, and some new solar theory papers I'd like to write based on what I've learned here over the past year.

I just wanted to thank you all for your time, your efforts, and even your tough skepticism. I beleive it has served me well, I'm very pleased to have met all your aquaintances. It's truely been a pleasure.

Thanks.

Wow, and no mention of Dave W., the one guy here who put in the most effort to give your crazy ideas a fair and detailed examination. You're all class, Michael.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  22:23:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
125 pages of Michael vs Dave. And here I am wondering if I should keep posting after ~10 posts trying to have a rational discussion with the pro-Israel warmongers on JREF.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  14:04:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I am surprised about the percieved adversity that Michael experience. For as long as I have followed this discussion, Dave have been to the point and always critically analysed arguments. And without getting emotional too. Whenever Michael has accused Dave of attacking him, what I have seen is Dave pointing out flaws, lack of knowledge, logical fallacies, misunderstandings, misrepresentations, and other problems with the arguments.
All while being level-headed.

Michael seems to take many of Dave's criticisms of Michael's arguments as personal attacks, instead of using that criticism for self-evaluation. If I ever get into a serious discussion, I can only hope for someone as level-headed and logical as Dave.
It's too bad Michael takes the discussion so personally. Dave has on many occations stated that Michael is projecting, and I agree with this assessment. On one level I do understand Michael's fierce defence of his position, but the over-reactions and projections isn't serving him well. Will all the energy, time, and money he poured into his project, I can see how it is too painful to acknowledge that Dave and other's has offered valid criticisms and arguments that seriously questions the foundations of Michael's model.

My hope is that besides the work Michael will put into refining his hypothesis about the Solid Surface of the Sun, he will also work on his cognitive and communication skills. These have proven to be sub-par for this kind of exchange.

I wish Michael Mozina good luck in his endeavors and hope he eventually returns for some more discussions.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  21:47:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert
Wow, and no mention of Dave W., the one guy here who put in the most effort to give your crazy ideas a fair and detailed examination. You're all class, Michael.

I've got to agree with H. here, regardless of the personal to-ings and fro-ings, Dave was by far the biggest contributor here at SFN. I'm not simply talking about volume of posts either, this extends to the sheer amount of work and thought put into the posts.

I enjoyed it on and off, but at the end of the day, the discussion was far too qualitative and shotgun for me to keep on top of things as I would have liked.

Michael I truly would like to read any publications specifically related to your model (or a scientific presentation of your model, for that matter) that are fit for submission to an appropriate per-reviewed journal or organisation. Even if you feel the "scientific establishment" (whatever that is) would keep you from being successully published, the act of distilling your thoughts into a coherent body of work would be well worth the effort.

Keep us informed.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.