Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Media Issues
 Are Israeli atrocities reported in US media?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  01:45:11  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Since I haven't read any threads about the Israeli incursions into Lebanon...

Swedish foreign minister has voiced the opinion that the Israeli retaliation against Hizbollah is disproportionate, and that WAY too many innocent civilian bystanders are getting murdered by Israeli bombs. The massive destruction of Lebanese infrastructure is highly questionable from a human rights point of view.

But my question to my American skeptics is this:
Does American media report the bad shit that Israel is doing?
How much coverage is there on the Israeli bombing of UN posts in Lebanon?

quote:
A preliminary UN report said 17 bombardments landed within one kilometre of the post, and 12 artillery rounds hit within 150 metres of the structure - four of them being direct hits.

After this, the post was hit by a precision-guided weapon from an Israeli aircraft.

The Irish foreign ministry said one of its officers in the UN's Unifil peacekeeping force in south Lebanon, placed six warning calls to the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) prior to the attack.

And
quote:
The bomb which killed the unarmed peacekeepers - Canadian, Austrian, Finnish and Chinese soldiers - hit the building and shelter of the observation post, near the eastern end of the Lebanese-Israeli border, UN spokesman Milos Struger said

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5217176.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5216230.stm

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  05:08:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
That would depend on the reporting "news" agency.

FOX news has been reported to be phrasing the actions as attacks against military targets and glossing over the civilian deaths as collateral damage.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/mideast/index.html

MSNBC seems to be covering it a bit better.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036051/

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  09:19:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Yeah the admin doesnt get off the hook anymore, they're political kryptonite.

Id say there is plenty of reporting about every snafu Isreal makes, however it is certainly slanted to the 'conventional military is the right way to wage war' side. Also, as the American population has been desensitized to collateral damage for 60 years, this is just normal TV for us. Hell, half of Americans cant even find Isreal on a globe.

Foxnews.com is better than the TV news by far, concerning bias, however they still "back page" certain items and use brilliant wording.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  13:53:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
The program on Democracy Now this morning had thorough coverage of this issue.

Aug. 3, 2006; Is America Watching a Different War? American, Lebanese and Israeli Panel on How the US Media is Covering the Invasion of Lebanon

The program noted CNN International calls Hezbollah a militia while CNN USA calls them terrorists.

And while Fox wasn't the focus of the piece at all, I found this bit interesting:

quote:
Earlier this week, two producers working for Fox News in Amman Jordan resigned in protest. In their resignation letter, Serene Sabbagh and Jomana Karadsheh wrote "We can no longer work with a news organization that claims to be fair and balanced when you are so far from that."

They went on to write “Not only are you an instrument of the Bush White House, and Israeli propaganda, you are war mongers with no sense of decency, nor professionalism.”

Peace, Propaganda, and the Promised Land: Documentary Examines US Media Coverage of the Israeli Palestinian Conflict

I have seen a bit of attention paid to this matter. Not enough, and we'll see how much the public cares. One of the comments about the slanted news in Israel proper was that the real news was available but most people don't want to know.

The amount of arguing I have been doing with people just trying to inform them there is a Palestinian side has really driven home how thorough the propaganda machine has been.

And the irony of it all is while the US and Israeli public are fooled, the actions of our governments is making everything much worse in the world.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 08/03/2006 13:58:39
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.