Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  05:47:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hawks

quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal
Australia is a lot more interesting than New Zealand...

Squeeze me? Sure, Aussie's got crocodiles, koalas, kangaroos, platypusses(?), leafy seadragons and Yahoo Serious, but NZ has... flightless birds. Can't beat that!! Actually, Australia has a few of those as well. But it's too warm there. And who wants to see a fricking opera house, anyway?

Don't forget Crocodile Dundee...national treasure I'm sure.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  13:24:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I discovered something very disturbing about Oz yesterday, when talking on TeamSpeak with an Australian woman who plays City of Villains.

Paralysis ticks. Her Golden Retriever dog was killed by the bite of just one of these tiny monsters. She herself was once bitten by one of these ticks, and was hospitalized with great pain, partial paralysis, and areas of numbness. These ticks can and do kill people.

The paralysis tick is one of 75 native tick species of Oz, and has a range along the eastern seacoast, where most Aussies live. Having seen and felt the deer ticks of California all my life, I was left involuntarily scratching myself after hearing of this Australian pest.

But with my luck, if I were to migrate to New Zealand instead of Australia (I'm actually considering neither), I would discover too late that there is a species of Kiwi that likes to burrow into the rectums of sleeping people.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/23/2006 13:26:26
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  13:34:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I discovered something very disturbing about Oz yesterday, when talking on TeamSpeak with an Australian woman who plays City of Villains...Paralysis ticks...

And just off the coast, there lurks the occasional Irukandji. Small, practically invisible and deadly.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  15:41:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chippewa
And just off the coast, there lurks the occasional Irukandji. Small, practically invisible and deadly.

I know all about box, and other jellyfish, but hadn't heard that term before. Here is an article about the critters I assume Chippewa was referring to. Here's the first one I found, which made me wonder if you were at first hinting at some sort of native pirates.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  16:48:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
Beskeptigal, Austrailan wild-life is amazing. I'm sort of biased towards NZ, though (well, i chose to live here, after all). I've lost count of the number of dolphin-encounters I've had. Over a period of years I've managed to wade, boat, kayak, swim, snorkel, dive and surf with dusky, Hectors, bottlenose and "common" dolphins. Once, I even spent a whole hour kayaking with three orcas in the bay just below our house (I was often less than a metre from them - now that was excillerating). Apart from wild-life and deserts, NZ has just about the same stuff that Aussie does - you just don't have to drive for 15 hours in between each "attraction".

Also, when you go swimming in the sea of NZ, you don't risk being eaten by crocodiles...

You can head in to the bush anywhere in NZ without risking being bitten something poisonous...

There are fewer sheep-shaggers in NZ...

And so on...

(Sorry for hi-jacking this thread)

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  17:39:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:

I've lost count of the number of dolphin-encounters I've had. Over a period of years I've managed to wade, boat, kayak, swim, snorkel, dive and surf with dusky, Hectors, bottlenose and "common" dolphins. Once, I even spent a whole hour kayaking with three orcas in the bay just below our house (I was often less than a metre from them - now that was excillerating).

I saw a turtle once.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  17:42:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:

...You can head in to the bush anywhere in NZ without risking being bitten something poisonous...

You've also got pine forrests.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  18:39:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I'm not saying NZ wasn't fun, mind you. But our Aussie experience was unbeatable.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  05:06:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:

I've lost count of the number of dolphin-encounters I've had. Over a period of years I've managed to wade, boat, kayak, swim, snorkel, dive and surf with dusky, Hectors, bottlenose and "common" dolphins. Once, I even spent a whole hour kayaking with three orcas in the bay just below our house (I was often less than a metre from them - now that was excillerating).

I saw a turtle once.

Why does this remind me of the "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" subtitles in mock-swiss.

Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yër?
See the løveli lakes
The wøndërful telephøne system
And mäni interesting furry animals
Including the majestik møøse
A Møøse once bit my sister...
No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse
with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given
her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and
star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo
Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst
Nordfink"...
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  06:48:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer
subtitles in mock-swiss.

Swiss actually refers to Switzerland.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  10:39:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:
subtitles in mock-swiss.

But why are you Swiss always referring to Switzerland? Isn't that the Land of the Switz? They make those handy switzblade knives?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/24/2006 11:03:05
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  11:36:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:
subtitles in mock-swiss.

Swedish, then.... Yeesh. What a purist. Miss by a mere few hundred kilometers and they're all over you like a cheap suit.....

:)

Yes, it's supposed to be mock-swedish.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Edited by - Valiant Dancer on 08/24/2006 11:37:21
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  12:08:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Yes, it's supposed to be mock-swedish.

Well, the moose was a dead give-away. Aren't many of them in the Alps...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  14:25:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
quote:
Swedish, then.... Yeesh. What a purist. Miss by a mere few hundred kilometers and they're all over you like a cheap suit.....

An american lass once mistook good ol' swedish me for a swiss. She thought it made sense, because after all (1) sweden makes beautiful watches and (2) the reason we make watches is because Greenwich is in Sweden. Still makes me giggle that one, even after 12 years.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds.