Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  00:34:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GK Paul

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:

Kneeling is a sign of reverence in church and apparantly some liberals also kneel when they worship.
So, you're not going to acknowledge that Coulter tried to mislead everyone about the focus of Pelosi's "worship," and you're not going to acknowledge the fact that abortion is discussed all the time using the word "abortion," and you're not going to acknowledge the fact that you can't be bothered to provide evidence in support of your own arguments, but instead you're going to purposefully conflate kneeling in order to felate a man with kneeling in order to pray?

You're in waaaay over your head, kid.

Coulter claims on page 20 that the organization NARAL Pro Choice America purpose is to keep abortion legal. She says the webpage won't use the word abortion and she can't find out what NARAL stands for. I checked the webpage myself and can't find the word abortion.

You know, don't you, that we liberal secular humanist baby killers aren't all reading from the same scriptures? Some organizations do choose to play down words that they apparently feel have been loaded with negative meanings by years of right-wing rhetoric. NARAL is one of these, choosing to use the weasel-word, "pro-choice" (just as the opposition uses the weasel-word, "pro-life"). I think they are wrong in largely abandoning the starkly accurate words, "abortion" and "abortion rights." But it's their right to choose their own words. We liberal secular humanist baby killers don't have a monolithic control of our propaganda apparatus.

Still, the word, "abortion" is used on the NARAL site, though not on the front page. Here's one example:

http://www.prochoiceamerica.org/news/press-releases/2006/pr06192006_scotus_ban.html

[Edit: Spelling]

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/29/2006 00:36:15
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  00:50:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

You have a link that says "likely" came from, but when I read the speach I didn't find the exact sentence that she used in my post. Maybe it was a different speech.

And you didn't provide a source at all. Palosi spoke about the morality of the Republican budget. What context do you think she would have made a comment about voting one's faith? Do you think Palosi goes around proclaiming she's the high priestess of the liberal faith and we should vote accordingly?

Stop, think for a minute. We aren't a threat to you. We are sharing our ideas and observations with you. Instead of trying to defend the indefensible, why not find the places we do agree and go from there?

There have been many many examples here for you showing Coulter's book is full of lies and distortions. What does your belief tell you about lies and bearing false witness? Shouldn't you be seeking the truth rather than defending the lies?

So far you just ignore what I've said and go on to the next quote. The next quote doesn't prove the previous quote. If you want to defend what Coulter said about Palosi, find the actual context of the quote and try to understand it. Go to Google and search for Palosi act worship or Palosi vote worship. Or see if Coulter cited a source and look for that.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 08/29/2006 00:51:28
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  00:52:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
NARAL: National Abortion & Reproductive Rights Action League
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  01:22:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Actually, it seems that all of her "information" is a bunch of re-hashed ancient creationist arguments she got from William Dembski, who isn't a biologist, or even a scientist, but is instead a two-bit mathematician who teaches at a second-rate Bible college. And because of that, Coulter wouldn't know a good argument if one fell on her.

Chapter 8, 9, and 10 in the book all appear to deal with Darwin's Theory and Science. I would estimate that their is at least 50 differnt names in the endnotes for these chapters. Most endnotes appear to be scientific articles. Bill Dembski was only mentioned on 2 pages of chapter 10.

"Something cannot come from nothing" -- Ken Tanaka - geologist

"The existence of a Being endowed with intelligence and wisdom is a necessary inference from a study of celestial mechanics" --Sir Isaac Newton

GK Paul
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  01:39:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

quote:

You have a link that says "likely" came from, but when I read the speach I didn't find the exact sentence that she used in my post. Maybe it was a different speech.

And you didn't provide a source at all. Palosi spoke about the morality of the Republican budget. What context do you think she would have made a comment about voting one's faith? Do you think Palosi goes around proclaiming she's the high priestess of the liberal faith and we should vote accordingly?

Stop, think for a minute. We aren't a threat to you. We are sharing our ideas and observations with you. Instead of trying to defend the indefensible, why not find the places we do agree and go from there?

There have been many many examples here for you showing Coulter's book is full of lies and distortions. What does your belief tell you about lies and bearing false witness? Shouldn't you be seeking the truth rather than defending the lies?

So far you just ignore what I've said and go on to the next quote. The next quote doesn't prove the previous quote. If you want to defend what Coulter said about Palosi, find the actual context of the quote and try to understand it. Go to Google and search for Palosi act worship or Palosi vote worship. Or see if Coulter cited a source and look for that.

If someone makes a personal attack at me, its my right to defend my self with evidence isn't it. Don't attack the messenger, just the message,

You just said Coulter's book is filled with "many many" lies and distortions. Please name "all" the lies and distortions you can think of in Godless. This is your chance to really tear into Coulter and make her look bad. I think at least 8 would qualify as many many. And also please name all her lies I defended, and how I went about defending them. If your going to make accusations, you should be able to back it up.

"Something cannot come from nothing" -- Ken Tanaka - geologist

"The existence of a Being endowed with intelligence and wisdom is a necessary inference from a study of celestial mechanics" --Sir Isaac Newton

GK Paul
Edited by - GK Paul on 08/29/2006 03:59:09
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  03:59:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:

You just said Coulter's book is filled with "many" lies and distortions. Please name "all" the lies and distortions you can think of in Godless.
It is of course up to beskeptigal, but why ever should she want to do that? What would be the point? That Coulter is a liar is a proven fact. Several of these lies has already been pointed out and you have not been able to refute a single one. Why continue with more?
quote:
This is your chance to really tear into Coulter and make her look bad.
Like there was a need....
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  04:36:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Dude, you're full of it! What a troll. Both Dave and I provided the link to the speech and quoted it in its full context. You ignored both and then get snippy when BSG doesn't provide the exact quote.
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 08/29/2006 08:08:46
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  04:38:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
Wow! This is an impressive and thorough effort by the members of this forum. Every little canard that GK Paul has used has been effectively rebuffed. Rebuffed simply using a little research and a lot of reasoning and references. A person can learn something here. GK Paul are you up to it.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  04:43:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

quote:
Originally posted by Starman

quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Your avatar is annoying, HH.
Well, I find it to be positively charming.
Yea, but we will call you a Michael Bolton fan for as long as you use it!

My daughter, perusing a topic I'd linked her to, saw that animated avatar and instantly recognized and liked it. (Me, I'd assumed it was some guy beating the crap outta someone else. But it didn't annoy me.)

Thats exactly what I thought until I finally saw the movie. When that scene came up I was, like, totally "Dude! I know that dude! H Humperdink or something....". It was, like, way cool.
(I try to keep up with the kids lingo)

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  07:26:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

Coulter claims on page 20 that the organization NARAL Pro Choice America purpose is to keep abortion legal. She says the webpage won't use the word abortion and she can't find out what NARAL stands for. I checked the webpage myself and can't find the word abortion.
I know others have already answered this, but using the search tool on the NARAL homepage, it's quite easy to find the word "abortion." And according to Google, the word appears on over 1,200 different pages within the NARAL website.

And then, if you go to their Learn About Us page, there's a link to a historical timeline, and the first event there is this:
1969 The National Association for the Repeal of Abortion Laws (NARAL) is founded.
So, you and Coulter both are too lazy, too ignorant and/or too uncaring to figure out this stuff, which takes all of a few minutes. You might have the "youth" excuse, but we all know that any instance of such apparent laziness on Coulter's part is a key feature of her plan to suck you and everyone else into her Hell.

You're well on your way. Look at all the stuff you've blinded yourself to. You refuse to acknowledge:
  • Coulter's many documented lies,
  • Pelosi was talking about worshipping the Christian God, not liberalism,
  • nobody considers Nina "BJ" Burleigh to be infallible,
  • felatio isn't prayer,
  • "Pro-Choice" activists use the word "abortion" often,
  • nobody can "tithe" to the NEA who isn't an educator, and
  • abortion isn't a "sacrament."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  07:57:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

Chapter 8, 9, and 10 in the book all appear to deal with Darwin's Theory and Science. I would estimate that their is at least 50 differnt names in the endnotes for these chapters. Most endnotes appear to be scientific articles. Bill Dembski was only mentioned on 2 pages of chapter 10.
So what? Shortly after Godless hit the shelves, Dembski claimed responsibility for any errors that appear in those three chapters, meaning he was intimately involved in their creation. Coulter has apparently done nothing to disabuse anyone of that notion. So, the idea that she got everything in those chapters (even the endnotes) from Dembski makes perfect sense. Coulter probably just rewrote them in her own venomous style.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  08:02:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse
When you are attributing a quote to me, you damn well better make sure not to distort my words, or I'll start calling you a fucking liar too.

Tread carefully, so you don't stick your foot in your mouth.

I thought the moderator might have put that edited for grammar quote in for some reason above my quote area. I didn't know you did it. I had added a fact about tithing to one of my posts. Personally, I really don't care why people change their posts.

Nice sidestep there, but you're not fooling anyone.
If you don't care why people change their posts, why the fuck did you edit something you yourself didn't write? You saw the text in my post, so you had to know it wasn't your writing. It's really sloppy, and it reflects very badly on your credibility that you don't seem to care if you "revise history" or what other people say.

Use the Preview-button before posting, so you can see what your post will look like before you submit it. Since you seem to be new, not only SFN but to discussion-forum and Internet for that matter here some info: Moderators on SFN don't edit posts for spelling or grammar, but for more important stuff like violations of rules, copyright and in some cases general formatting for readability. But when a post is edited the moderator always leave a notice saying who did the editing, usually in red colour. For an example, see the bottom of this post.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  10:40:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
She says the webpage won't use the word abortion and she can't find out what NARAL stands for. I checked the webpage myself and can't find the word abortion.

You didn't look very far, now did you?
The first page links to two (albeit off site) articles, where the headline of the link itself includes the word 'abortion'.
The front-page has a menu, and under "Issues" as in "what issues are important to NARAL", they have a complete section devoted to "abortion".
http://www.prochoiceamerica.org/issues/abortion/
quote:
Abortion
While it's critical to promote policies that help prevent unintended pregnancies and make abortion less necessary, NARAL Pro-Choice America also fights to protect the right to safe, legal abortion.
Emphasis above mine.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  10:54:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
...she can't find out what NARAL stands for.
It took me one minute with google to find out what NARAL stands for. I googled it after I wrote NARAL a letter asking them what it stands for. Two perfectly simples and quick ways to learn something, unless you are too lazy to spend a few minutes for the sake of intellectual honesty.

It's even on their Oklahoma home page:
http://www.okchoice.org/

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  18:41:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Nuff said, GK isn't really involved in this discussion. Too bad.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.