Skeptic Friends Network

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 Book Reviews
 Ann Coulter's book: Godless
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  13:31:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Ultimately, there is only one source citation needed in any chapter dedicated to refuting evolution: the Bible.

Now, don't we wish the Bible itself had end-note citations? ("Letter dated Day Four, from Angelic Engineering Department to God, detailing urgent need for the creation of astronomical sources for the Light created on Day One.")


Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  00:47:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GK Paul

To all my critics, why would Coulter quote many scientists to support her argument if there were serious mistakes in those scientists work.


Because she is scientifically ignorant and doesn't realize there are mistkes in their work.

Or because she doesn't care whether their work has mistakes as long as it supports her point of view. After all she has made up "facts" to support her arguments as shown by Marf and others.

By the way, you have not responded to my and other's comments regarding Coulter's hypocrisy in bearing false witness.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  16:56:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic

quote:
Originally posted by GK Paul

To all my critics, why would Coulter quote many scientists to support her argument if there were serious mistakes in those scientists work.


Because she is scientifically ignorant and doesn't realize there are mistkes in their work.

Or because she doesn't care whether their work has mistakes as long as it supports her point of view. After all she has made up "facts" to support her arguments as shown by Marf and others.

By the way, you have not responded to my and other's comments regarding Coulter's hypocrisy in bearing false witness.

Please list the mistakes in the works of the scientists Coulter quotes.

If Coulter lied in the past she was wrong, just like you were wrong when you lied in the past. If you have never lied in the past than I commend you.

But the fact that a person has told a deliberate or a unintentional falsehood does not mean that person is incapable of telling truths in the future. Also there is a saying it takes one to know one. If Coulter has various weaknesses maybe she has some special talent to spot certain negative behavior. Usually people with some special unusual talent have a weakness.


"Something cannot come from nothing" -- Ken Tanaka - geologist

"The existence of a Being endowed with intelligence and wisdom is a necessary inference from a study of celestial mechanics" --Sir Isaac Newton


GK Paul
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13457 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  17:12:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
GK Paul:
Please list the mistakes in the works of the scientists Coulter quotes

So, you are just going to ingore that whole quote mining thing?

Supply some quotes so we can evaluate them...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  17:57:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:
GK Paul:
Please list the mistakes in the works of the scientists Coulter quotes

So, you are just going to ingore that whole quote mining thing?

Supply some quotes so we can evaluate them...

Ghost skeptic should supply the mistakes, he's complaining about them.

What is the question on quote mining? I go thru these posts at a leisurely pace. And skip around sometimes like I'm sure everyone does. I'm not getting paid to do this... But when I complain about something I usually have the info to back it up.

Also, I'm sure there are quotes all over the internet, and people have brought in whole segments of the book. I'm sure you'll be able to find some tidbits in there.


"Something cannot come from nothing" -- Ken Tanaka - geologist

"The existence of a Being endowed with intelligence and wisdom is a necessary inference from a study of celestial mechanics" --Sir Isaac Newton


GK Paul
Edited by - GK Paul on 09/03/2006 18:08:14
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  18:01:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

[quote]...Coulter and her ilk have created a mythical "liberal" boogeyman to routinely attack in books, TV, and radio. Repeated enough times and from enough sources and it's hard not to buy into it...


Coulter and company borrow a technique from another nasty, vile book, Mein Kampf. Hitler didn't differentiate between different Jewish people or Jewish groups within German society. He just took the word "Jew" and vilified it to apply to all Jews. Hitler's anti-Semitism framed all Jewish people as scapegoats for all social and economic ills of that time. Coulter may not be anti-Semitic but she is similar in her blaming all Liberals as scapegoats. One should ask oneself why she wants her readers to believe crazy, idiotic things. (And note that they are beliefs, not facts.) Her endorsement of creationism is, behind the conservative curtain, a political rather than religious motivation. Her aim is to pull rightist notions into a simplistic and uniform set of beliefs for the ultimate goal of generating more votes that benefit corporatists. It is therefore ironic that she throws the fascist label at Liberals.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4954 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  18:14:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GK Paul
But when I complain about something I usually have the info to back it up.
Tragically, when people respond to your "complaints" and demonstrate how wrong Coulter is, you tend to ignore it.
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  18:20:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moakley

Wow! This is an impressive and thorough effort by the members of this forum. Every little canard that GK Paul has used has been effectively rebuffed. Rebuffed simply using a little research and a lot of reasoning and references. A person can learn something here. GK Paul are you up to it.

Congratulations, I bet everyone can't wait for her 6th bestseller to come along so you can not buy and rebuff that one too.


"Something cannot come from nothing" -- Ken Tanaka - geologist

"The existence of a Being endowed with intelligence and wisdom is a necessary inference from a study of celestial mechanics" --Sir Isaac Newton


GK Paul
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13457 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  19:18:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
GK Paul:
Congratulations, I bet everyone can't wait for her 6th bestseller to come along so you can not buy and rebuff that one too.

All being popular as a talking head or writer means is that there are people who like what you say. It says nothing about whether what you have to say is truthful. Coulter has demonstrated time and time again to anyone willing to view her critically and do some research, that she is sorely lacking in the honesty department. For many of us, she burned her bridges the moment she told that first public lie. That she continues to lie has been demonstrated in this thread. (If only you had looked at the links.)

Go ahead and enjoy her. Let Ann Coulter tell you why you shouldn't accept what almost every biologist, geologist and cosmologist on the planet knows. She's the expert, right? Believe everything she says. After all, she writes popular books!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
25973 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  20:01:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GK Paul

But the fact that a person has told a deliberate or a unintentional falsehood does not mean that person is incapable of telling truths in the future.
Things GK Paul has failed to acknowledge:
  • Coulter's many documented lies,
  • Coulter's current lies,
  • Pelosi was talking about worshipping the Christian God, not liberalism,
  • nobody considers Nina "BJ" Burleigh to be infallible,
  • felatio isn't prayer,
  • "Pro-Choice" activists use the word "abortion" often,
  • Dembski was closely involved in Coulter's chapters on evolution,
  • nobody can "tithe" to the NEA who isn't an educator, and
  • abortion isn't a "sacrament."
The fact that you refuse to acknowledge these things speaks volumes about you, GK Paul. You're either unwilling or unable to have an honest discussion about Coulter.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4954 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  20:44:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GK Paul

quote:
Originally posted by moakley

Wow! This is an impressive and thorough effort by the members of this forum. Every little canard that GK Paul has used has been effectively rebuffed. Rebuffed simply using a little research and a lot of reasoning and references. A person can learn something here. GK Paul are you up to it.

Congratulations, I bet everyone can't wait for her 6th bestseller to come along so you can not buy and rebuff that one too.

As has already been noted, there is no clearer sign at this point that you cannot actually defend Coulter that you refuse to address any of the points we'e made. Instead, you have now twice tried to appeal to Coulter's best-seller status as some sort of validation. This proves nothing, however, and is as empty as Coulter's own arguments.
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 09/03/2006 20:44:40
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  22:10:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:
Originally posted by GK Paul

But the fact that a person has told a deliberate or a unintentional falsehood does not mean that person is incapable of telling truths in the future.
Things GK Paul has failed to acknowledge:
  • Coulter's many documented lies,
  • Coulter's current lies,
  • Pelosi was talking about worshipping the Christian God, not liberalism,
  • nobody considers Nina "BJ" Burleigh to be infallible,
  • felatio isn't prayer,
  • "Pro-Choice" activists use the word "abortion" often,
  • Dembski was closely involved in Coulter's chapters on evolution,
  • nobody can "tithe" to the NEA who isn't an educator, and
  • abortion isn't a "sacrament."
The fact that you refuse to acknowledge these things speaks volumes about you, GK Paul. You're either unwilling or unable to have an honest discussion about Coulter.

Felatio isn't prayer, nobody considers "BJ" infallible, and abortion isn't a sacrament to everybody, so what.

Also I believe I said tithing to teachers unions, if you can't give donations to teacher's unions let me know where you got that info.


"Something cannot come from nothing" -- Ken Tanaka - geologist

"The existence of a Being endowed with intelligence and wisdom is a necessary inference from a study of celestial mechanics" --Sir Isaac Newton


GK Paul
Edited by - GK Paul on 09/03/2006 22:31:28
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
25973 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  22:32:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GK Paul

...so what.
So what? So you complain about people being rude, but you couldn't find the common decency within you to acknowledge the truth until you were badgered about it a bunch of times. And still, you only managed to acknowledge two of the items in the list, and are now arguing about a third. But the fact is that nobody considers the act of abortion to be a visible sign of grace or a religious ritual. And so...

Things GK Paul has still failed to acknowledge:
  • Coulter's many documented lies,
  • Coulter's current lies,
  • Pelosi was talking about worshipping the Christian God, not liberalism,
  • "Pro-Choice" activists use the word "abortion" often,
  • Dembski was closely involved in Coulter's chapters on evolution,
  • nobody can "tithe" to the NEA who isn't an educator, and
  • abortion isn't a "sacrament."
And while I've been writing this reply, you edited your original to add:
quote:
Also I believe I said tithing to teachers unions.
No, you said,
...liberals are encouraged to tithe to the national teachers union.
And you refuse to acknowledge the fact that the general public cannot donate money to the NEA, which is considered to be the national teachers union. One has to actually be an educator in order to give them money.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
25973 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  22:34:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
And you made another edit:
quote:
Originally posted by GK Paul

...if you can't give donations to teacher's unions let me know where you got that info.
I already showed you that. If you have any evidence in support of your implied claim that a person can just hand over money to unions without being a member, please post it here.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

GK Paul
Skeptic Friend

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  22:42:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GK Paul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:
GK Paul:
Congratulations, I bet everyone can't wait for her 6th bestseller to come along so you can not buy and rebuff that one too.

All being popular as a talking head or writer means is that there are people who like what you say. It says nothing about whether what you have to say is truthful. Coulter has demonstrated time and time again to anyone willing to view her critically and do some research, that she is sorely lacking in the honesty department. For many of us, she burned her bridges the moment she told that first public lie. That she continues to lie has been demonstrated in this thread. (If only you had looked at the links.)

Go ahead and enjoy her. Let Ann Coulter tell you why you shouldn't accept what almost every biologist, geologist and cosmologist on the planet knows. She's the expert, right? Believe everything she says. After all, she writes popular books!


Bill Clinton lied under oath, and told other lies, and most liberals certainly were able to forgive him. Whether or not you forgive should not be dependent on whether or not you agree with a person's opinions.


"Something cannot come from nothing" -- Ken Tanaka - geologist

"The existence of a Being endowed with intelligence and wisdom is a necessary inference from a study of celestial mechanics" --Sir Isaac Newton


GK Paul
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.


Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds.
Powered by @tomic Studio
Snitz Forums 2000