Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  01:19:48  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
I am proposing we create a list of "Natural Cures You Don't Want To Know About" Perhaps we can compile them into a book and sell it in drugstores as an antidote to Kevin Trudeau.

My contribution is Urine Therapy - thats right, drinking your own urine.

And here is a testimonial.

Drinking your own urine is hard on your kidneys since they have to get rid of the same waste twice. Although urine is fairly sterile bacteria grow very rapidly in it. For these and other reasons this is highly inadvisable. So far the alties have not recomended drinking some else urine.

A cousin of mine was a principal dancer in the Alberta Ballet Company many years ago and ecountered a somewat less disgusting version of urine therapy. She said a Russian woman who was whatever the ballet equivalent of a coach advocated urinating on a sprain or similar injury. She called it the pee-pee cure.

I am sure reading these links will be benificial to anyone who is trying to lose weight. They will act as a appetite supressant.

[Edited to correct a typo, add a warning for any idiots (i.e. anyone who would think Ann Coulter has anything worthwile to say after discovering that she is a lier) that might read this, and shamelesly bump this topic.]

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson

Edited by - Ghost_Skeptic on 09/04/2006 00:28:23

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  13:27:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I love that title. I'll try to find some entries when I have more time.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  14:18:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
The Tapeworm Diet

quote:
Okay I'm infected, now what?

Now you get home and tell your doctor what you've done. Your physician
in addition to giving you the correct prescription for killing the tapeworm
should be aware of your condition in case you should have any unusual
adverse reactions. In at least one documented case a woman from the
Netherlands had her intestines perforated by a tapeworm. Of course this is
exceedingly rare, but again why take anymore risks than necessary. The
next couple weeks should be rather uneventful. Around the third or fourth
week you'll notice an increase in your appetite and in some people
bloating and pain around your upper abdomen. This pain should be mild
and comparable to gas pain. If your pain gets more than uncomfortable
you take the Praziquantel prescribed by your doctor and kill the worm.
Period. Otherwise you cruise, that is eat right and exercise until around
week ten. At this point the prepatent period of the worm will be ending
and this means the worm will start shedding off segments. It's time to kill
the worm. Not only are they extremely unpleasant when they migrate out
of your digestive system, but these segments represent a very real health
risk. The motile segments can wedge themselves into the pancreatic duct
or appendix both of which will result in conditions that can kill you. So,
take your Praziquantel at 1mg/kg of body weight and say goodbye to your
buddy.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  06:53:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Speechless.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  06:35:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
I refer to the future King of England who suggested for all who would listen, that everyone should partake in daily coffee enemas(as he does), to clean out the pipes.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  08:35:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic

I am proposing we create a list of "Natural Cures You Don't Want To Know About" Perhaps we can compile them into a book and sell it in drugstores as an antidote to Kevin Trudeau.

My contribution is Urine Therapy - thats right, drinking your own urine.

And here is a testimonial.

Drinking your own urine is hard on your kidneys since they have to get rid of the same waste twice. Although urine is fairly sterile bacteria grow very rapidly in it. For these and other reasons this is highly inadvisable. So far the alties have not recomended drinking some else urine.

A cousin of mine was a principal dancer in the Alberta Ballet Company many years ago and ecountered a somewat less disgusting version of urine therapy. She said a Russian woman who was whatever the ballet equivalent of a coach advocated urinating on a sprain or similar injury. She called it the pee-pee cure.

I am sure reading these links will be benificial to anyone who is trying to lose weight. They will act as a appetite supressant.

[Edited to correct a typo, add a warning for any idiots (i.e. anyone who would think Ann Coulter has anything worthwile to say after discovering that she is a lier) that might read this, and shamelesly bump this topic.]

Raso, Jack. 1996. The Dictionary of Metaphysical Healthcare. Loma Linda, Calif.: National Council Against Health Fraud.

Fraid this guy beat you to it.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  08:46:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

I refer to the future King of England who suggested for all who would listen, that everyone should partake in daily coffee enemas(as he does), to clean out the pipes.

Apparently the correct choice of parents qualifies a person to be an expert on everything from architecture to medicine.

Coffee enemas are an important element in an alternative cancer therapy.

quote:
Another of Charles's associates, the hereditary peer and crossbencher Lord Baldwin of Bewdley, went to the Tijuana clinic in 1996 when his wife Sally was seriously ill with breast cancer. She spent eight weeks at the clinic, followed by another two years of using the regime at home. Her disease recurred and she died three years ago.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Edited by - Ghost_Skeptic on 09/16/2006 00:24:26
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  00:34:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
Here is another one - Ayurvedic medicine uses herbs and metals including mercury and lead.

quote:
A research study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association[7] found significant levels of toxic heavy metals such as lead, mercury and arsenic in 20% of Ayurvedic preparations that were made in India for sale in America. Similar studies have been performed in India, and have confirmed these results. In response to the study, some practitioners of Ayurveda claimed that "heavy metals are integral to some formulations and have been used for centuries. There is no point of doing trials as they have been used safely and have mention in our ancient texts."

There have also been reported cases of poisoning from Ayurvedic medicine - including "kidney and liver damage due to mercury deposition, nerves and abdominal problems due to lead." [9]

Health Canada has given 3 advisories on lead in Ayurvedic preparations in the last 2 years. But I guess ancient texts trump modern scientific knowledge. (Actually knowledge or the toxicity of lead is not so modern. I think even some Romans knew about it although they used lead water pipes.)

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  06:08:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Ear candling anyone?

Not as disgusting as the above, but, hey, sticking a lit candle in your ear definatly shows a gaping intellectual hiatus.
quote:
Though some people fear that coning will leave them mindless, the only real dangers are from burning, infection, obstruction of the ear canal and perforation of the eardrum.

The origin of this unnatural practice has been given as ancient Tibet, China, India, Egypt, and pre-Columbian America. Even Atlantis is cited as a possible origin. In other words, we don't have a clue how this thing got started.

Whatever, it seems to have lead to this:
quote:
ButtCandles™ are an exciting, and time honored, device for internal cleansing. We encourage you to peruse our site, read the referenced medical literature, and then make an informed decision as to whether you want to purchase our high-quality sanitary products. We stand behind all of our products and offer a 100% money back guarantee for all unused/unspoilt product.
I don't want these turkies standing behind me.....

Butt (snicker) whereaway now, candle affictionados? The human body still has orfices as yet uncandled. Do you think a good, hot candling in the appropreate place might cure the dreaded drip?

Oh, the possibilities!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  09:45:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
Coffee Enemas. Taking caffiene addiction to new depths.

quote:
The coffee enema detoxifies the liver, as well as cleans the colon. Coffee stimulates the liver to make more bile. Bile, from the gallbladder draws out environmental and metabolic toxins, as well as the very irritating toxins from Candida albicans and other parasite-like organisms. The colon is the organ responsible for carrying away these toxins. In addition, coffee enemas stimulate the liver to produce enzymes that clean the blood. Coffee enemas also assist the colon to develop better function.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  09:52:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Do ear candles and coffee enemas qualify as curatives in this thread? I only ask that because they really are mainstream in the new age curative market…

Heck, I can get ear candles at almost any health food store.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  10:12:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

Do ear candles and coffee enemas qualify as curatives in this thread? I only ask that because they really are mainstream in the new age curative market…

Heck, I can get ear candles at almost any health food store.

And is Starbucks offering a Double Mocha Latte Enema now?

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  10:37:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Being mainstream makes it no less idiototic. And shoving one up your gastronomic exhaust......? Yeesh!

Speaking of 'mainstream,' check out traditional Chinese medicine.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  12:43:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Being mainstream makes it no less idiototic. And shoving one up your gastronomic exhaust......? Yeesh!

Speaking of 'mainstream,' check out traditional Chinese medicine.

Oh, I see. I thought this thread was for natural cures that were off the beaten path. Well, there is a veritable shit-load of crazy natural cures that don't work…

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  16:47:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Eh, I don't really see much difference. Nonsense is nonsense..., and if we keep it too esoteric, we'll not have much of a list.

An unmentioned advantage to the tapeworm treatment is that you can confuse people by refering to yourself in the plural: "We & Us."

Emergency bandages have often made from balled-up cobwebs. It is my understanding that, while filled with dust mites, they work.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  22:08:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Whatever, it seems to have lead to this:
quote:
ButtCandles™ are an exciting, and time honored, device for internal cleansing. We encourage you to peruse our site, read the referenced medical literature, and then make an informed decision as to whether you want to purchase our high-quality sanitary products. We stand behind all of our products and offer a 100% money back guarantee for all unused/unspoilt product.
I don't want these turkies standing behind me.....

Butt (snicker) whereaway now, candle affictionados? The human body still has orfices as yet uncandled. Do you think a good, hot candling in the appropreate place might cure the dreaded drip?

Oh, the possibilities!

I am pretty sure this site is a joke - there is no ordering information. (Hey - Christmas is coming and butt candles would make excellent gifts for woo friends.)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.29 seconds.