Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  22:33:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic
I am pretty sure this site is a joke - there is no ordering information.

Yep, it's a joke, as they provide a link to this "demonstration video." (Warning: Mature, but utterly hysterical content*.)

* You may need to sign up for a free Youtube account to view the video.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 09/16/2006 22:34:05
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  22:57:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Being mainstream makes it no less idiototic. And shoving one up your gastronomic exhaust......? Yeesh!

Speaking of 'mainstream,' check out traditional Chinese medicine.

Oh, I see. I thought this thread was for natural cures that were off the beaten path. Well, there is a veritable shit-load of crazy natural cures that don't work…

It isn't so much that the cures don't work, the question is, do you really want to try them?
Edited by - beskeptigal on 09/16/2006 22:59:19
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  10:52:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
This clearly my first choice in holestic medicine.
quote:
TREPANATION
July 20, 1998

Peter Halvorson has an about 1 cm-wide hole in his head. He was suffering from depression and decided to drill this hole above his forehead, near where his hairline would be if he still had a hairline, believing this hole would bring him permanent happiness.

Trepanation, by the way, is an ancient procedure that involves the
removal of a chunk of one's skull. The skin heals but the procedure
leaves a visual depression on one's dome.

Halvorson expounds on his belief in the medical basis of trepanation -- talking about pulsation, cerebral metabolism and brain blood volume -- however, he advises against self-trepanation today.

Trepanation or trephination, Halvorson says, gives him more energy, more focus, more drive. He says doctors told him his testosterone level is about that of a man in his 20s.

Halvorson estimates there are several dozen others all with their own
holes in the head.

edited to fix a double word

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Edited by - furshur on 09/22/2006 13:24:19
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  11:54:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic

quote:

Whatever, it seems to have lead to this:
quote:
ButtCandles™ are an exciting, and time honored, device for internal cleansing. We encourage you to peruse our site, read the referenced medical literature, and then make an informed decision as to whether you want to purchase our high-quality sanitary products. We stand behind all of our products and offer a 100% money back guarantee for all unused/unspoilt product.
I don't want these turkies standing behind me.....

Butt (snicker) whereaway now, candle affictionados? The human body still has orfices as yet uncandled. Do you think a good, hot candling in the appropreate place might cure the dreaded drip?

Oh, the possibilities!

I am pretty sure this site is a joke - there is no ordering information. (Hey - Christmas is coming and butt candles would make excellent gifts for woo friends.)

Missed that, but indeed they would!

Trepanning is as stated, very old. It has been practiced by almost every culture, at one time or another including aboriginal peoples.

Trephinning set

But considering the staggering amount of 'holistic' remedies around, it should be of litle suprise that it is still around today. Very weird remedy for everything from migrains to nightmares, never the less....

How 'bout lobotomy? That is not only weird, but ghastly and perminantly damaging in the bargain -- if the sufferer survives it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  14:00:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Oooo where can I get me own trephinning set? What a conversation piece!

From the lobotomy link:

quote:

Additionally, a growing body of psychiatrists believed lobotomy might be an effective way to treat such "psychiatric disorders" as Communism, homosexuality, nymphomania and general godlessness.

Maybe Tom Cruise is right.... <-- looks like a lobotom with a fish, no?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 09/22/2006 14:03:35
Go to Top of Page

Antigone

44 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  16:34:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Antigone a Private Message
You should see the natural cures for yeast infections

Inserting yogurt (no fruit on the bottom, ok)
or how about a clove of garlic? (just sew a string to the garlic for easy removal)
maybe you prefer apple-cider vinegar...

But if putting food there is reserved for 'happy times' just use some tea tree or oregano oil.

(thank god for modern medicine!)

Mortui non dolent
Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2006 :  22:51:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
YO: Quote,,,,"And is Starbucks offering a Double Mocha Latte Enema now?"

OY be sayin',,,,Yes, Mr. Wreck they do, but the price is going up soon so you'd better get yurz pronto!

OY!

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde
Edited by - Orwellingly Yurz on 09/23/2006 23:00:17
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2006 :  02:12:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hypnotism.
quote:
Hypnotism is one of the weirdest and most controversial notions in the history of the mind. Even defining it is tricky. Basically, hypnotism is the art of placing another person into a trance state. What happens next depends largely on whether you're at a Las Vegas show, in a therapist's office or a prisoner of a Orwellian police state.

Hypnotism was more or less discovered by a guy named Franz Anton Mesmer, who invented something he called animal magnetism. Mesmer had a natural talent for putting people and animals into trances, which he mistakenly attributed to magnetic waves. His technique became known, predictably, as mesmerism.

Count me among those who think that Hypnotism is a large crock except among those who are figurtivly lobotomized already.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  00:32:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

Hypnotism.
quote:
Hypnotism is one of the weirdest and most controversial notions in the history of the mind. Even defining it is tricky. Basically, hypnotism is the art of placing another person into a trance state. What happens next depends largely on whether you're at a Las Vegas show, in a therapist's office or a prisoner of a Orwellian police state.

Hypnotism was more or less discovered by a guy named Franz Anton Mesmer, who invented something he called animal magnetism. Mesmer had a natural talent for putting people and animals into trances, which he mistakenly attributed to magnetic waves. His technique became known, predictably, as mesmerism.

Count me among those who think that Hypnotism is a large crock except among those who are figurtivly lobotomized already.

I think I have mentioned in the past my brother and a friend went to a hypnotist show when they were teens. My brother's friend was hypnotized at the show and my brother became interested and taught himself how to do it. While I couldn't be hypnotized, my girlfriend and my brother's friend could. There is no way either of the two were faking it.

It wasn't that difficult to hypnotize someone either. You just talk softly in a monotone telling them they are floating on a cloud and so on until they are under. Surely there must be some brain scans by now showing what the heck is going on.

When my brother told Teri, my friend, everyone was naked, she just giggled. When he told her she was on the ceiling, she totally freaked out and started kicking her legs. There is no way she was faking or just going along by suggestion. She was the only one in the room hypnotized at the time.

Later my brother hypnotized Ken and had him eat an onion telling him it was a delicious apple. Ken chomped it right down without so much as a tear. It is mind boggling to think one's mind can completely control the burning of an onion. Later Ken was really annoyed because he said he burped onions the whole day.

Try to eat an onion like it was an apple. Tell me how it went. And what would a person who was going along, even if fooling themselves, do when told they were on the ceiling? You'd say it was cool or something. Teri really freaked out.

Which says something about her not freaking out about everyone being naked. So it was no surprise she later became one of my pregnant teen age friends.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  02:38:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
Here is a seasonal item. Some alties are attempting to use Mistletoe to cure cancer based on homeopathic "logic".

quote:
The idea that mistletoe may help treat cancer is based on that the idea that mistletoe, like cancer, is a parasitic growth that eventually kills its host, said Edzard Ernst, a professor of complementary medicine at the Universities of Exeter and Plymouth.

Unfortunately they are not using it in homepathic dilution.
quote:
In this week's Christmas issue of the British Medical Journal, Alison Finall of the department of histopathology at University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff and her colleagues reported on a case of a 61-year-old woman who had a tumour-like growth under her skin, brought on by mistletoe.

Not only does it have terrible side effects, it may actually promote cancer.
quote:
Furthermore, some test tube studies suggest that mistletoe extract may actually enhance the growth of some cancers.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  03:42:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
That "logic" for the use of mistletoe (a well-known poisonous plant) is pure magical thinking, based upon magic's "law of similarity," except reversed, to fit homeopathic "thinking." Crazy.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  04:48:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Here's an oldie but goodie: Venesection, not to be confused with Venepuncture.

quote:
The practice of bloodletting has been used by almost all cultures and societies at some point in their medical history. The controversy over the usefulness of it has been raging since the fifth century B.C.E. It was considered to be part of the treatment for practically every ailment that you can think of: asthma, spitting blood, bruises, cough, consumption, contusion, convulsions, cramps, deafness, delirium, epilepsy, giddiness, gout, whooping cough, hydrocephalus, head ache, intoxication, lethargy, lunacy, measles, palsy, rheumatism, sciatica, shortness of breath, and sore throat. It was also, though not as commonly, used as a punishment and as a form of worship to a superior power. In seventeenth century England, for example, the use of bloodletting was very popular for the treatment of hysteria. It was believed that hysteria gave rise to an accumulation of "putrid humors" which impaired the organs whose function it was to purify the blood and caused this physical affliction. Bleeding and purging were the universal remedies for these humours and so they were employed for the treatment of hysteria as well. The patient would be bled and then administered medicines that "fortified" the blood, such as iron fillings. This practice continued into the eighteenth century. The idea for bloodletting was taken from the animal world. People observed that animals self-inflicted wounds and they assumed this was for medicinal practices. They also observed similar occurrences through human forms of spontaneous bleeding such as nosebleeds, menstruation, and injury. Bloodletting was very popular from ancient times until the Middle Ages. It experienced a great vogue in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Beliefs about health and disease in the eighteenth century were based on those held by the ancient Greeks. For more on the humoral theory see the section on medical blood in Bloodlines .Blood was a humor and was believed to be made up of food. The idea was that if the humors were in balance then the body was healthy and if they were out of balance the result would be disease. One of these diseases was plethora. Plethora was an over-abundance of body humors and was characterized by fevers and inflammations. It was treated by the removal of the offending humours. This removal could be brought about by inducing vomiting, starvation, and bloodletting. The patient was often starved so that the veins would become empty of food and then the blood, which had escaped into the arteries, could be absorbed. This procedure was drawn out and very uncomfortable for the patient, so bloodletting was increasingly used instead as a quick way to relieve the patient of extra blood.

This quaint form of vampirism still commonly practiced today except that the patient might be perfectly aware that he/she is healthy, but is selflessly donating for others -- or can use the money. And they give you a cookie!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  05:33:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
And there can be rare cases where someone needs a bloodletting for medical reasons. This happened to me as a toddler, when our Dr. Barbour had given me a transfusion at the hospital, then went home. He couldn't sleep that night, worrying he'd given me too much blood. Finally, he rushed to the hospital, to find my pulse abnormal. He bled me, then all was well again. All this from my parents' telling -- I was too young to recall.

I understand there is at least one medical condition that requires regular bloodletting, but I can't recall the details.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  22:00:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
It's called hemochromatosis, Half.

And where the heck is Trish, our for-real phlebotomist, when we need her?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  22:46:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

It's called hemochromatosis, Half.

And where the heck is Trish, our for-real phlebotomist, when we need her?

I think she had a nasty run in with some garlic.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds.