Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  08:10:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

I don't think it is a limited thought at all. We're talking about eternity. I don't think Asimov would have turned down living for hundreds, even thousands or tens of thousands of years. But eternity?

"For what could any Entity, conscious of eternal existence, want-but an end? (P. 356)"

Exactly. Give me time, but not infinite time. I fill my days and nights with work, play, sex, good food, and good books because life is short and I want to enjoy every moment. If I had infinite time I think there's a good chance I'd just sit on the couch.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2006 :  18:47:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
On the matter of how boring a hypothetical Heaven might be, perhaps an analogy with online role playing games is in order.

As some of you know, I play City of Villains. It is possible to greatly tune the difficulty and risk of "missions" in CoV to suit individual tastes. Until recently, I played my missions at the easiest possible setting. My risk of getting my character killed was minimized by doing this, but eventually I became bored, and set the difficulty to the next higher level. Even that became boring after a bit, so I advanced the difficulty level once again. I now play most missions at the medium difficulty level, receiving both more excitement, and faster character advancement, than before.

Surely, a proper Heaven would allow for individually-selected difficulty levels.

And this may not always be merely a moot issue: When/if the "Rapture for the Nerds" happens, who knows whether we might at some future date be able to have our consciousnesses "uploaded" to some hypercomputer before brain death, and be able to participate in the life simulation of our choice?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/23/2006 18:58:40
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2006 :  23:59:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
The fantasy of the Christian heaven (since there are other afterlife scenarios in other religions) reminds me of the typical movie ending where after an incredible adventure, boy gets girl or girl gets boy and the viewer is left with the thought they lived happily ever after. Yet the viewer's 'ever after' is a blank. The viewer doesn't imagine the details, instead the movie ends as if a fog covers up the rest but it is taken for granted the rest is good.

Christians imagine this heaven, some wonderful place whatever the description, they "walk with God" and live happily ever after. Like in the movies, ever after is a blank. It's in a fog. No need to think about or imagine the actual details. God's love is somehow supposed to be fulfilling.

Well I don't know about anyone else but the love of some god doesn't appeal to me as especially fulfilling. Beyond that, I doubt most Christians fill in the details in their own fantasies about heaven other than that wonderful last scene in the movie just before the blank 'ever after'.

For the suicide bomber dreaming of the 72 virgins, I imagine there is a lot of detail in the fantasy about a life he sees others have, but the bomber has no hope of ever achieving. Same with reincarnation. If one does xyz in this life, the misery will abate in the next life and the next. Which is, I imagine, what the Christian heaven was for most people in the past and with poor populations today. For the Christian who is not living such a miserable life, heaven is the 'happily ever after' blank just as in the movies.
-
Edited by - beskeptigal on 09/25/2006 00:02:56
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.