Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  22:17:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
jordoskeptic, try finishing this statement:

Mirrors cause breast cancer because ______________________.

Even if it's just a hunch. I certainly can't. And without such a potential reason, anyone who would invest in such a study would be a fool.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  23:05:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Interesting we're on the fourth page on this.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  04:59:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
jordoskeptic is having fun with us, laughing as long as we take him and his mirror "gag" at all seriously. I don't. This might have been fun, perhaps, if this hoax had been perpetrated with a better sense of humor.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  05:12:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Interesting we're on the fourth page on this.

I know! I think I'm going to mke a sock puppet and start a thread challenging the board's skeptics by claiming that a cabal of hyper-intelligent apes run the world. If you doubt me, it's only because you're not skeptical enough. The over/under for the thread will be 5 pages.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  05:20:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jordoskeptic

I like this quotation the best

"Why not question something for a change?"

This is coming from a guy who's asking to see proof from a premise.

So based on the responses the following must be the case:

Nope. You have constructed a strawman argument by misquoting what we are saying and also assuming that it must be the mirror that is causing the harm and not what is reflected IN it. As you have yet to state what is in mirrors that would be causing aforementioned harm, your assertations are untestable. You also have failed to even produce evidence that they actually DO cause harm.

quote:

1. Like clean, temperate water or oxygen, a mirror poses no risk to humans whatsoever. Unlike water and oxygen, a mirror cannot be contaminated and cause any harm. Moreover, there aren't any conditions or circumstances in which mirrors could cause harm (also unlike ingesting water or oxygen).

Strawman #1: point posited was that the reflectivity of a substance does not directly cause harm. Likewise, just like water, it is what is reflected that may cause harm. You have produced exactly zero evidence that contamination of mirrors is happening at all. Since they have been in use for over a millenia without harm to the user (excepting the cases where the thing reflected caused the direct harm), your premise is unsupported.

quote:

2. The act of avoiding mirrors is not the same as a Diabetic who avoids certain food. It's a sign of neurosis.

Strawman #2: The diabetic avoids certian foods because of medical testing which reveals a chemical imbalance. Avoiding mirrors without medical or scientific evidence that mirrors have a harmful effect is completely different. Some may term it eisoptrophobia or catoptrophobia. It is covered in the ICD-9-CM as 300.20.

quote:

3. Only a mirror can be used in a car, not a video camera, but there would be no difference in the affect on the driver because mirrors cause no harm.

Strawman #3: Why use high-tech when unpowered low tech does the same job? Unlike video cameras (which is the new high-tech toy on big rigs and luxury cars), mirrors do not require power to operate, draw no amperage from the battery, and are far more economical than the video camera counterpart. At no time has anyone suggested that only a mirror can be used on a car. What was said is that there are methodologies to reduce the harm from the stuff reflected in automotive mirrors.

quote:

I'll shut up now. I come up with better arguments against my own premise--should I post those to assist anyone who disagrees?

So an environmental factor shouldn't be considered when diagnosing a breast cancer patient? Why doesn't someone post a list of studies showing how safe the things are? But there aren't any of those either. This is called taking something for granted. It's blind faith. How is it not? Is there a list of other things which absolutely should not be studied? I'd like to see it.

It's called there are far more pressing issues than researching something which does not have any evidence for it causing harm. Even anectdotal evidence does not exist for it causing harm.

quote:

Skeptics should sign their posts with signatures that say "6 billion people cannot be wrong."

I'll take my chances with a reflection-free lifestyle.

If you choose to avoid mirrors, you are free to do so. Your lack of support for your premises and relaince on emotional arguments and ad hominem arguments does not support your premises.

I casually piss napalm on your strawmen arguments, too.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Edited by - Valiant Dancer on 09/28/2006 05:27:17
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  14:58:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message
joke topic

What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen a pink shirt before?

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  08:57:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
It felt like the Dead Parrot Sketch, by Monty Python.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 10/28/2006 08:57:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds.