Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  00:26:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=364x2303322#2303338

Check this out - it is a frame from Fox News where they had Foley listed as a Democrat! And apparently this was not aired once, but several times. I don't believe it was an accident for a moment.
That is obviously the fair & balanced way to represent Foley. Clinton is probably to blame for his behavior anyway.

Now lets talk about how the Islamo-fascists is about to kill you!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  02:29:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
As might be expected, the foul Drudge is blaming the pages:
quote:
(Update below) Here comes Matt "The Eggman" Drudge to (Mr. Predatorgate) Mark Foley's defense. He uses that age old "attack the messenger" conservative technique-only in a creepier way. He says the congressional pages are just as responsible because of Youtube and pop culture and how dare they egg him on like that. They are just 16 and 17 year old beasts after all and not innocent little babies who are engaged in a conspiracy against poor, old Foley. What kind of beast does that make the 52 year old Foley?

And those would-be keepers of the public morals such as Falwell, Dobson, Robertson, and the rest of that circle jerk are conspicious by their learned and profound silence. The swine Limbaugh too, seems to be at a loss for comment.
quote:
Still searching for radical right outrage on Foley/cover-up scandal
by Chris in Paris - 10/03/2006 04:36:00 AM

Where's Rush to provide some moral righteousness during these troubled times? Surely he must be bothered to hear there was a sexual predator running free in Congress, all under the watchful eye of Congressional leaders. James Dobson somehow can't find it in him to be as outraged with this scandal and says "it's not the time to be talking about politics" now that the GOP owns this sex scandal (along with Abramoff, Iraq, DeLay, etc) plus cover-up. Where is Jerry Fallwell? Pat Robertson? Surely the Christian Broadcasting Network has something to say about a cover-up and sex scandal in Congress, right? Hello? Is anybody there?

And then, the most remarkable thing, it seems that Foley is involved with Scientologists. Thus, we have, not only a pederast but an idiot in the bargain.
quote:
Gay sex with children, underage drinking, gross e-mails and IMs, Congress, the Republicans, Macaca, rehab … you were probably thinking there was no possible way this story could get better. Oh ye of little faith, how about a heaping helping of Scientology?

First, our trusty Scientology Investigator sent us this detail:

Foley sent his “Gone to Detox Mansion” fax from Clearwater, Florida. Are there any rehab joints there that aren't run by Scientology? Remember, that's the same cult that says they can ‘cure' homosexuality ….

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  03:15:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

Hold the phone a sec, guys. Granted, being Foley's age and attracted to teenagers is technically a mild form of pedophilia, but it isn't even remotely in the same league with child predators....

I'd look at the rest of the story Marf before assuming this wasn't predatory. It isn't a 19 yr old with a 16 yr old here. This guy has been sending these kind of messages to teens for years and some of the messages meet the the legal standard of Internet predatory solicitation. The pages do have to be 16, but over 5 or more years some of those 16 yr olds may have been more or less mature. My son is still pretty shy and he's almost 18. He's smart enough not to be a victim but he isn't very forceful in standing up to an authority figure.

I think someone like Clinton going after a 16 year old instead of a 23 yr old would have been viewed as predatory by most people. It's a different kind of crime, and when it is very young children it may be worse, but it is still predatory.

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/03/142231

quote:
AMY GOODMAN: We are talking to Maddy Sauer, who broke this story with Brian Ross at ABC News of the sexually explicit IMs, instant messaging, that was going on, that the congressman was sending to underage pages.

MADDY SAUER: the stories are remarkably similar. It always starts as a friendly “Hi, how are you doing?”

And, of course, these pages have left the Hill at this point. They're not still working on the Hill, so they want to keep in touch with the congressman contact, because they're all aspiring politicians or at least want to work in that world. And they're trying to chat politics with him, and meanwhile he's changing the subject to, you know, “Go measure yourself and what are you wearing?”

And the irony:
quote:
MADDY SAUER: Well, this is one of the things that has disturbed me the most, because at least when these suggestive emails were passed to Rodney Alexander's office, who passed them to Tom Reynolds, you know, the excuse has been, “Well, we didn't investigate, because there was nothing sexual there. It was just a suggestion that, ‘what do you want for your birthday?'” But the whole point is, if there were these rumors and if people sort of had a hunch that this was happening, this would have been the perfect opportunity to actually go and investigate. You have emails. You have a child who's complaining. Go investigate.

Now, the FBI is involved. They didn't investigate when they initially got the emails, but they may not have known about these rumors and hunches that people on the Hill had. And because he is soliciting a minor, in some of these instances, online, where he is saying, “Let's have dinner. Where do you want to meet? I'll pick you up at the airport,” that is punishable as soliciting a minor over the internet, because the kid was under 18 at that time, and it's a federal crime, and it is one of the laws that Congressman Foley actually helped to enact.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  03:35:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
On a lighter note, if such can be found, it is a well known axiom that "when the hits the fan, everybody gets spattered."

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  05:15:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

On a lighter note, if such can be found, it is a well known axiom that "when the hits the fan, everybody gets spattered."

Ummmm. Filth?

Thats MARK Foley, not MICK Foley.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  05:43:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

quote:

Ummmm. Filth?

Thats MARK Foley, not MICK Foley.

I knew that, but the way the link reads, some numbskulls with attention spans even more pathetic than mine didn't, and the former "Dude Love" has taken some really ridiculous flack.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  22:08:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
And now, as I expected ("I suggest watching for an 'every man for himself' clusterfuck effect"), the Republicans in the House are beginning to blame one another. Hastert is being fingered by a Congressional staffer who resigned, a fellow Republican:
quote:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- House Speaker Dennis Hastert's office was notified of concerns about then-Rep. Mark Foley before 2005, casting doubt on top GOP leaders' statements that they heard nothing of Foley's inappropriate behavior before then, a former aide to Foley said Wednesday.

Hastert's office has denied the claim.

Kirk Fordham made his remarks after resigning Wednesday amid allegations that he tried to protect Foley from congressional inquiries into his inappropriate contact with congressional pages.

Fordham elaborated in an interview with ABC News and said he told Hastert's chief of staff, Scott Palmer, that Foley was too friendly with the pages, and that Palmer talked to Foley.

Hastert's spokesman Ron Bonjean told ABC News, "That [warning] never happened."

Added Palmer, "What Kirk Fordham said did not happen."

. . .

Hastert continues to stonewall, and Bush supports him. (Bush himself volunteered that he never knew about Foley and the pages. Given Bush's consistent problems with telling the truth, that's almost a hint that he did know!) Originally, Hastert had lied outright, saying he'd known nothing about Foley and the pages. But almost immediately enough facts came out that he had to admit he'd heard at least a little about it. Now blind political panic is settling in, and all bets are off on hiding the GOP's dirty little pedophilia-enabling, House-seat-protecting secrets.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  04:30:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
To hear all of the squealing now filling the atmosphere, one'd think that this sort of thing had never happened before. And if it had, it's strictly a Republican perversion.

Not so, dear friends; not so. Following is an incomplete list of various, sexual transgretions. I haven't actually counted, but it looks to be almost equally divided between the parties.
quote:
CONGRESSIONAL SEX SCANDALS
I'll save you all a lot of trouble. By now you've noticed the Christian right is blaming us for Foley's Folly and once again screaming and yelling that this confirms that homosexuals are all pedophiles.

So I did some googling and thanks to the Washington Post and a variety of other sources, here's what I found before I got bored.

The obvious conclusion: Men are pigs. Circe was right. Straight and gay. Members of the House and Senate are no excpetion to this rule.

quote:
My three favorites, by the way: the four-way involving three Republican Representatives and a Playboy Playmate, an Ohio Republican paying a 13-year-old girl for sex, and the Conservative Republican from Mississippi caught giving blow jobs in the House men's room.

Thus it has always been and thus, people being what they are, it shall always be. I'm waiting for a Bush/Condi scandle to erupt. I don't have any grounds for such a suspicion beyond how snuggely they look when together, and a slip of the tongue on Rice's part, but greater outrages have sprung from less.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  04:56:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:

Thus it has always been and thus, people being what they are, it shall always be. I'm waiting for a Bush/Condi scandle to erupt. I don't have any grounds for such a suspicion beyond how snuggely they look when together, and a slip of the tongue on Rice's part, but greater outrages have sprung from less.

Nope. Probably not. I suspect that they are making preparations for their sixth straight year celebration.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  08:13:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Thanks for the link, Filthy. Though I'd been aware there'd been plenty of other sex scandals in Congress, it was interesting to see them actually compiled. However, the compilation might have been better done by leaving out all the consenting-adult relationships, in my opinion. There were plenty of others involving politicians and under-aged people, as it was.

I think what actually stands out this time, and may even be unique, is the growing evidence that, on a partisan basis and to protect their majority, Has-turd and the GOP House leadership covered up and allowed Foley to proceed with what he was doing with under-aged pages. That's criminal in an ethical sense, and probably in a legal sense as well.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  09:30:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Thanks for the link, Filthy. Though I'd been aware there'd been plenty of other sex scandals in Congress, it was interesting to see them actually compiled. However, the compilation might have been better done by leaving out all the consenting-adult relationships, in my opinion. There were plenty of others involving politicians and under-aged people, as it was.

I think what actually stands out this time, and may even be unique, is the growing evidence that, on a partisan basis and to protect their majority, Has-turd and the GOP House leadership covered up and allowed Foley to proceed with what he was doing with under-aged pages. That's criminal in an ethical sense, and probably in a legal sense as well.

I'm not any kind of legal beagle, but I think that a criminal case can indeed be made: aiding & abetting or criminal neglegence, if nothing else. It'll be interesting to see how it sugars off -- I'm sure there'll be civil actions, and I'd love to see Congress and the maladministration call them "trivial" lawsuits. That shit would hit the fan hard!

Even the consentual part shows lapses in ethics, not to mention morality. Most of these people are, after all, married. And I firmly believe that people in leadership roles should be held to a higher standard.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds.