I recommend the Bill Moyers PBS special on tonight
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  03:37:17  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
http://www.pbs.org/moyers/moyersonamerica/index.html

Part one is tonight, 10/04 and the next two are on the next two Wed nights.

"A Swashbuckling Spectacle of Corruption" - Bill Moyers Investigates Abramoff Lobbying Scandal is the first part. The second is on the split over global warming among the Evangelical movement and the third, and most important is on the threat to Internet freedom of information.

This is a three part series, one each Wed night for 3 weeks. Moyers left PBS to have the freedom to criticize the Bush infringement on free speech imposed when Bush tried to have a Republican front man turn PBS into a mouthpiece for the Republican Party.

quote:
AMY GOODMAN: Why are you back on PBS? You left NOW. I want to ask you about the storm over Kenneth Tomlinson. Of course, we know that he paid, what, something like $14,000 to have you and others monitored for political content, your broadcasts on PBS. He has been embroiled in one scandal after another now. The latest, let me read from an earlier headline: “More trouble for former Corporation for Public Broadcasting chair Kenneth Tomlinson -- the State Department concluded Tomlinson committed several ethics violations in his current position chairing the board that oversees most U.S. broadcasts to foreign countries. According to investigators, Tomlinson gave a friend $250,000 in taxpayer-funded contracts, overbilled the government for his time and used federal employees for his personal business. Among that personal business, running a stable of thoroughbred horses he named after leaders from Afghanistan, including President Hamid Karzai. This is only the latest scandal that has come out for the former Reader's Digest editor and longtime Republican. Tomlinson was forced out of the CPB last year after it was revealed he improperly tried to promote conservatives in the organization and monitored programs he accused of having a liberal bias.”

BILL MOYERS: Well, this is the man that George W. Bush and Karl Rove allowed -- appointed to serve as chairman of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the board of governance of Public Broadcasting, and to serve as chairman simultaneously of the overseas -- the Board of Governors of the overseas --

AMY GOODMAN: The BBG, right. Board of Broadcasting.

BILL MOYERS: Yeah, the BBG. I mean, this is an ideological hack who was allowed to work his will behind closed doors, until he was exposed. And one of reasons I left my weekly broadcast on Public Broadcasting was to go public with what I knew he was doing. I couldn't do it while I was on the air, because it would have seemed self-serving. Well, his misdeeds cost him his chairmanship of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. But Bush and the White House and Karl Rove allowed him to stay on the Board of Governors of the Overseas Broadcast, and he still is there, because even though this recent round of sleazy activities was revealed, on a partisan vote, 3-to-3, the Republicans voted to keep him in power. I don't understand it, but it's typical of the attitude toward the public interest.

You ask why I'm back. As I listened to you begin this broadcast with the litany of reality that you report, I got a slow burn, you know, at just what's happening to this country, to our government and to America under the reign of the corporate, political and religious right. And there are so few places that, as you are doing, are just simply telling the other side of the story, letting the facts add up, that I realize I couldn't sit in the rocking chair and comfortably enjoy the books I'm reading, while our democracy, it needs all the information those of us who are independent journalists can provide. So I came back, because there just is too much to

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  07:39:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Thanks. I'll see if I can find that. As a side note, I was looking for times and dates for NOW and I see they did a podcast with Chomsky. Sort of a coincidence as we were talking (or trying to) about Clinton's role in increasing terrorism and that touches briefly on that. http://www.pbs.org/now/news/239-transcript.html

Appreciate the transcript from DN too. I didn't know about all that.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  16:57:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
YO beskeptigal! I really appreciate the heads-up about Moyers' show.
Bill Moyers not being on the air is one of my really sore spots. I'm surprised they've let him back on...and I'm even more surprised they're even promoting the fact that he has the three-part series.

Bill Moyers is one of those H.L. Mencken kind of guys, although Bill is a theist, I believe; he is an ordained minister. Bill tells the truth so well, it pisses-off lots of people, even people who work in public broadcasting.

I suggest anyone who reads beskeptigal's post with the Moyers link, and feels the same way should pass this information on to as many people as they can.

Although the web site indicates that my PBS affiliate is airing it this evening, I haven't gotten confirmation from it yet, locally, if it will, indeed, be carried. So many times my local PBS station buries important public affairs programming way late at night or their cable-only feed...and sometimes even way late on the cable as well.

Seeing 15 year old Brit sit-coms is more important. And if I see another goddamned hiking through the San Joaquin Valley kind of show one more time, I gonna puke. There are so many more important things for Americans to know today; most of which the commercial news outlets are afraid to touch. But I suppose public radio and television, both, are afraid of touching lots of topics as well.

The title of the next ABC-Disney sit-com to premiere at the start of the winter season should have the title, "Pissing Away Democracy." Or maybe it would be better as "reality" show; that would be sure to bore the hell out of everyone.

Thanks again, beskeptigal. OY!

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  15:49:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Hey, great first show in the series showing a bit of sick U.S. history of the corrupt Abramoff getting his ass nailed to the wall. Great to see more insight into Delay's entanglement, and his fall; what a maggott! And of that'Xtian Xoalition' Ralph Reed getting his cross bent and hung out in public. "Have things changed?" asks Moyers in the wrap up....not really, -- Moyers ends the show with Big Tobacco lobbyist working the floor handing out campaign checks to thwart legistation about ending fed tobacco crop subsities. Close up photo of new lobbyest scub bag was shown...camera lengered a bit on the fuck head's face.
These guys are a notch above child molesters in my book....Abramoff, Delay, Reed.

Program was a hour and a half long with Moyers and a couple others a bit afterwards with more ass chewing/disgust. "The hyprocracy". One comments about Delay's statement of his own mugshot..."If you look closely, Jesus is in there". The sicker the fallen, the more decrepid noise they make.

In the end, I say Bill Moyers for president!

....edited gratuitous drunken cursing.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Edited by - Randy on 10/06/2006 13:28:45
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  18:33:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
Great show. Hard to watch - Abramoff, Delay, Reed - oh what sleazy devils.
My poor misguided tribal brothers & sisters, betrayed again by those lowlifes. Moyers' straight forward factual report revealed Abramoff's true vile colors.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  02:08:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I was amazed the program covered their college days. I didn't really know they were avid anti-communists. It was so odd seeing the pictures of them all in their 20s.

DeLay claiming all that, praise the Lord stuff after getting caught, that was really sleazy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.