Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  09:20:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dglas

"Ironically, people who call themselves "skeptics" are not truly skeptics; they are only selective skeptics. This is because they may be skeptical about fringe ideas, but they are never skeptical about mainstream ideas or mainstream news. The same applies to debunkers."

Hmmm I am not entirely sure this is not true...
The idea that some sort of god exists is about as "mainstream" as you can get (90% believe it's true here in the US), and many skeptics are skeptical of it. And if Bigfoot, Nessie, UFOs, psychics and ghosts didn't appeal to large audiences, there wouldn't be so many "documentaries" about them. The idea that these sorts of things are only "fringe" ideas is something to be skeptical of, too.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  09:22:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:
Siberia:
I wonder, is that a spoof?

Seems like it should be, doesn't it? But I have personally talked to people who believe that lizards are running the world.

The following quote is from a Kil Report I wrote a few years back.

quote:
From Evil Skeptic II:

There was another device on their table. It looked like an oatcake with metallic particles in it. It was made of resin. Betty explained to Jim and Michelle that the oatcake was to prevent Lucifarians from being able to triangulate on the position of any human who knows too much. Turns out that Lucifarians are giant shape-shifting lizard aliens that are in control of our government. They are, in this version of the “New World Order” conspiracy, running the show. They are the reason that we are deprived of a cure for cancer. (The cure, according to Dennis, is available to those who have power over what you and I see as the highest echelons of government. They form a secret government of men and lizards who control all of the world's governments. And, while it may have been accidental and independent of Lucifarian technology, Hulda Clark's “Zapper” is still a primitive version of some of that advanced technology. Perhaps Clark should think about purchasing an oatcake to keep them from triangulating on her position…) Because their intentions are to kill off most of the world's population, I suppose withholding or preventing cures for disease serves that purpose.

I have been meaning to write a whole report on this lizard conspiracy. Maybe someday…

Ah yes... I have fond memories of that particular report, as it was one of the many reasons why I joined this board. I shared it with everyone, too... good ol' times.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  09:28:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Thanks!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  12:51:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
A bit 'o truth:
quote:
Only Darkness (a pseudo creator) would create a realm based on such things. Anything that is "technical" or governed by rules/restrictions (which is everything in the universe) is crude. The True Creator does not need to rely on any rules. That is why the universe is the Matrix--it has rules. It is a virtual reality, as opposed to reality.

When one dies, then goes on to the astral world (the fourth dimension), they are still inside of Darkness's universe. The only way to get out of the universe and into the True Realm is for the universe to be destroyed.
Wow! So even dying won't even get you out of the Matrix. We have to destroy the entire Universe.

Talk about a Doomsday Cult...

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2006 :  12:56:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis

That is truly insane.

Yeah, but in a good way.

Welcome to the SFN, Neurosis.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  10:59:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dglas

"Ironically, people who call themselves "skeptics" are not truly skeptics; they are only selective skeptics. This is because they may be skeptical about fringe ideas, but they are never skeptical about mainstream ideas or mainstream news. The same applies to debunkers."

Hmmm I am not entirely sure this is not true...

Dglas, on a more serious note here, your perception in this case is naively incorrect.

If you believe serious skeptics don't consider the fringe, tell me where you think such ideas as string theory, branes, multiverses, and singularities came from?

And the idea we are not skeptical of the mainstream just shows your lack of understanding of how things become mainstream. They get there because there is overwhelming evidence supporting them. But even then they are not safe, because there are always researchers pushing the boundaries and gathering new data. Big shifts in the mainstream consensus are not common, but they do occur regularly. As we improve our tools for observation and measurement, we sometimes collect new data that provides a better explanation for something and the conclusions based on the old data must be revised.

For an example, look at geology theories before the discovery of plate tectonics in the 50s. Look at the revisions in astronomy from Earth centered to Sun centered, from circular solar orbits to elliptical solar orbits and so on.

Your conclusion also shows your lack of knowledge about all the evidence against the things you think skeptics merely dismiss out of hand.

There has been serious research into NDEs for example. The evidence points to brain function, not extra-corporeal existence. Serious research has been undertaken in psychic sensing. Most of the intriguing results have just not been repeatable. Statistics have shown there is the same rate of shipwrecks in the Bermuda and the Devil's triangles as would be expected from the amount of traffic.

Some of the so called evidence for ghosts has no basis for the conclusions drawn. How many studies have you seen that look to see what temperature and EMF fluctuations occur in places ghosts have not been reported? Shift fields and look at building heat loss studies which are done to improve energy efficiency. Look at EMF studies done to evaluate the effect it may have on occupational illness or cancers. Put the two together and you will see that claims EMF and temperature fluctuations only occur when ghosts are around is incorrect, and, the idea ghosts are the best explanation for such fluctuations is preposterous.

Astrology has been debunked by the evidence and logic. Junk medicine is debunked by evidence. If a traditional remedy is effective, the evidence will show. And don't start with the BS that research is only funded for patentable drugs because that's a myth. Research dollars come from many places besides big pharma.

Next time you think skeptics have dismissed something out of hand, try a Google search for research on whatever it is. If you can't find any debunking research ask me. I'll find it for you, unless it is something too new to have yet been looked at. In that case, yes, we are skeptical until the evidence is shown to support the belief.
Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  15:55:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
YO: I maintain a friendly skepticism about this reptilian bull shit.
Or would that be snake shit, or just redundant?

Slitheringly Yurz...for the moment...OY.

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  22:54:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
We need to keep an open mind about these things. I think it is perfectly reasonable to believe that world government is controlled by extra terrestrial lizards - very stupid extra terrestrial lizards.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.