New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  16:35:39  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
I know I haven't been around much since Katrina and Rita turned our lives upside down, but I decided to go back to school to earn a degree before I'm fifty years too old. And, believe me, going back to school full time after almost thirty years and working full time in an oilfield service industry ain't easy. But, I enjoy the education--The work sucks...

I just hope you all have been well, and I'm happy see a handfull of new people posting.

Anyway, here's the real reason for this new thread; I thought you folks might enjoy this series of articles in the New York Times. I realize most of the material is not new to y'all, but it is good to see this in print for the rest of the U.S.. Here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/ref/business/churchstate.html

I hope y'all enjoy the read, and everything else. Live well...

Tim

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  18:11:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I've been following that at Raw Story.

Welcome back, Tim!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  18:32:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Welcome back Tim! I must say, I was a bit worried about what Rita may have done since you reported back after Katrina but not after Rita... Whew. It's good to see you are well.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  19:00:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
YO, Tim: I've come on the Skeptics scene since you done got hurricaned. I hope you've gotten through all that crap okay. I blew town (that being Corpus Christi) way back in 1980 to avoid Hurricane Allen. No fun. I moved back north and now west.

Anyhow. Thanks for the New York Times articles on a very important issue these days here in 'Merica. I used to live in Tulsa, Oklahoma many years back and got to see some of that Jesus is Good Business crap that was just springing up "thanks" to Oral Roberts and Billy James Hargis, two of God's annointed ones, they tell me.

I like your posts, but Jesus, Tim! Would it be possible for you to comment without putting up your picture? You're one ugly lookin' sum'bitch.

Owellingly Yurz...OY!

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  05:58:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Tim, LTNS!

I feel your pain on the school thing.... been drudging myself through some as well.... With the goal of getting another degree, and then trying to get into a grad program.

Hope all is well for you in the post Katrina/Rita mess.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  16:20:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Thanks for the thoughts, welcomes and encouragement. I still won't have too much time to post here but I will enjoy reading a few good debates. Plus, this site sometimes seems like a haven for sanity in an often times screwed up world.

Tim

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.