Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 Do you believe in God? Are you absolutly certain?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  13:02:09  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
According to this study, we're gainin' on 'em!
quote:
A new study of U.S. adults finds that 42 percent are not "absolutely certain" there is a God, but only 1 percent believe that God could be female.

An online Harris Poll also finds that 15 percent are "somewhat certain" God exists, while 11 percent think there is probably no God and 16 percent said that they weren't sure.

According to the study, only 76 percent of Protestants, 64 percent of Catholics, and 30 percent of Jews chose "absolutely certain," as opposed to 93 percent of Christians who describe themselves as "Born Again."

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  13:26:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
According to the study, only 76 percent of Protestants, 64 percent of Catholics, and 30 percent of Jews chose "absolutely certain," as opposed to 93 percent of Christians who describe themselves as "Born Again."

I feel dumbfolded...
Only 93% of "Born Again" Christiand are absolutely certain?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  13:57:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I'd hate to be one of that 7% of skeptical Born Again Christians!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  14:07:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message
2010 people isn't representative IMO

What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen a pink shirt before?

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Edited by - Vegeta on 11/01/2006 14:09:30
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  22:52:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
To reply to the thread title:
quote:
Do you believe in God?

No.
quote:
Are you absolutly certain?

Yes.

Am I absolutely certain there is no god? Not quite.

Certain enough to not fear retribution for being wrong though.

I also agree with vegeta that a couple of thousand isn't really a big enough sample for a subject such as this, however, in the spirit of cherry picking bible verses which suit current purposes, I say "See, this proves it!"

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  23:19:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I'm absolutely certain.

I believe in arrrrghhhh ...

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  23:32:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Vegeta

Have you studied statistics before? You'd be surprised how accurate you can really be.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  03:47:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I'm certain, absolutely there are no gods. There is no Zeus, no Pele and no Biblical god either. Why anyone wouldn't be certain is beyond me.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  04:48:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
As for all the gods I have ever heard of, I'm certain that they don't exists.

There could be some extra dimensional prime mover, but I have never seen anything that would indicate this.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  06:12:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
Only 1% believe that god could be female? Well of course God is female.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  09:31:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:

Sure it is, if the poll is conducted properly.

Most polls don't have a large sample size, and they are reasonably accurate measurements of general opinion.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  09:43:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Some knowledge in behavioral statistics would help. Suffice to say that sample size should be adequate.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  06:27:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
I am a Deist. My God, the Creator God, is unfortunately unknowable. Hell, he may have been replaced by other Gods in the Universe. I am skeptical of sciences march to disprove anything but......

However, if my God ever actually spoke to someone, who knows. The God of the OT and the NT I do not believe in. Actually, maybe that is the God. However the OT is based on the Torah, which was passed on for a long time before ever actually being written. Then it was re-wrtten, and re-interpreted before being translated and re-translated. Maybe he is Jehovah, the all-powerful, maybe he is Yawah, the pig-headed God of War...... Maybe he has re-incarnated himself as Sponge-Bob-Square-Pants. My guess is Elmo..........

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.