Judas text says Earth made by a "lower" god
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  03:50:04  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5329485

This was fascinating. I can't wait to hear more about this lower god and true god stuff.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  14:50:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Thank you for bringing this fascinating interview to our attention.

The churches, of course, will reject the Gospel of Judas as a Second Century AD creation of no real historical or religious value. But wouldn't that be a fairly accurate description of all the Gospels?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/02/2006 14:55:54
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  15:23:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
B., I wasn't able to find the "lower god" reference. Could you possibly help me find that? (It is hard for me to imagine a god "lower" than jealous, genocidal Jehovah.)

Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  06:21:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
I wish I was at home and had my texts...... Sounds "Manchean Gnostic".....

Gist.... The Aeons (or Archons) ruled. The higher god was the "Father of Light". His wife, Sophia, had a consort. The consort got her pregnant and Yawah was born. Yawah stole some of the light and made the earth and trapped the light in man. He hid man from the knowledge. He told them that he was a jealous god, and forbid them to eat from the Tree of Knowledge of the Light... which they did anyway after the serpent (Jesus) told them to.

The Manhean Gnostics were another Gnostic group that was hunted down and destroyed much like the Cathers and others.

I love old religious texts..... So much fun......

Nag Hammadi

Peaace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  07:03:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
"Ray, if someone asks if you're a god, you say YES!" - Winston Zeddemore

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  20:32:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

B., I wasn't able to find the "lower god" reference. Could you possibly help me find that? (It is hard for me to imagine a god "lower" than jealous, genocidal Jehovah.)

They discussed it in the radio interview. I didn't read the written version. Here's more on it which surprises me that I've not heard this before or if I did it didn't sink in.

http://www.newswithviews.com/Ryter/jon131.htm

Under Gnostic cosmology, the Supreme Being—or rather, supreme beings—are two Divine Mothers. The higher deify, Barbelo, is the creative thought of the ineffable parent. The lower deity, Sophia, is the accidental creator of the ignorant demiurge who made the cosmos, but also works to free the divine spirit captured by the demiurge in human form. Barbelo is the First Emanation—the Absolute Being who controls forethought and foreknowledge. According to the Gnostic Apocryphan of John, "...He `thought' His own likeness when He saw it in the pure Light-water that surrounded Him. And His thought [ennoia] became efficacious and made herself manifest. This is the First Thought, His Image. She became the womb of everything for She is prior to them all, the Mother-Father, the First Man [Anthropos], the Holy Spirit, the Thrice-Male, the Thrice-Powerful, the Thrice-named Androgynous One, and the Eternal Aeon among the Invisible Ones, and the first to come forth." Are you reading Canon when you read the Gospel of Judas? I think not. The feminists will love the Gospel of Judas because it gives them a female God.

http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/gospel/learn.html

In the Old Testament, Cain kills his brother Abel and is cursed by God. But in Gnostic texts Cain appears as a hero. Why celebrate a murderer? Because Gnostics saw the Old Testament God as a lower deity, a power crazed demiurge, who created a flawed physical world that imprisons human souls. Salvation for them meant escaping the physical realm to be reunited with the true supreme being. To Gnostics, any defiance against the false creator god was an heroic act. So one school of Gnostics celebrated Cain's murder of Abel, whose offering of lambs the Old Testament God favored over Cain's offering of crops. In the same way, The same school celebrated the people of Sodom, the city that the Old Testament God destroys after its people try to rape visiting angels. These Gnostics were not embracing murder or rape, they were identifying with those who rebelled against the Old Testament God.

There is an html version of the file http://www.fumc-a2.org/cf/files/sermon060731.doc. but it wouldn't link with the BB code.

The Gnostic's understanding which is articulated in the Gospel of Judas is a pretty weird story too. They have this elaborate hierarchy of the spiritual realm which makes the creator of our world a lower god that is not all good and has been duping us to worship him. And those who are ignorant do. But those with knowledge, those with the inner divine spark of the higher spiritual realm won't accept it anymore. That is the Gnostic myth for coping with the experience of life on earth. And salvation does not come by worshiping the god of this world or accepting his creation. It comes by denying this world and rejecting the body that binds us to it.

And that is why Judas' betrayal according to the Gospel of Judas is a righteous act. By handing Jesus over to the authorities, Judas allows Jesus to escape his own mortal flesh to return to the eternal realm from whence he came.

The Gospel of Judas and Gnostic thought is different from what we are used to. But I do believe that they are trying to answer and give meaning to the questions and mysteries that all humanity has asked and experienced throughout hi
Edited by - beskeptigal on 11/04/2006 20:36:36
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  20:44:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Thank you very much, B.! That's facinating stuff.

(Barbelo, eh? I'm not sure I particularly like to spend too much time worshipping a female who is not effable.)

Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  21:51:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
Gnostisim comes in many flavors.
I flasely attributed the Mancheans with the myth I presented in my first post on this. It actually came from the Secret Book of John(Gonstic).
According to this book, the highest being is the Father of Light.

Stay with me here, because the author of the article B'Gal posted seems to be a bit off on creation acording to John......

The Father of Light is... [quote]... the immeasurable Light. the Holy and the Pure Purity..... It is not perfection, or beatitude, or diey, but something far more excellent. It is neither corporeal nor incorporeal... noone can think it. It isnot anything existent, but something prior..... It has no part of an Aeon...."[quote]

Enter the Barbelo, the perfect Aeon of Glory. It just gets a bit strange from here...... Actually is is already a bit strange, but you'll have to read it for yourself.......

Basically, the first chick.... give me , give me, give me.... (sorry, couldn't resist).

Eventually she looks at the purity of the light (after asking all that stuff from it) and gives birth to a shower of sparks, the first monogenes... Christ.......

After this a bunch of Aeons are made. One of them is Sophia. Here is original Sin, not Eve (or Lilith if you want).

Sophia actually had a thought for herself, and without consent, willed a copy of herself.... Ialdabaoth (Yahweh). Well, this little bugger, being an appreciative and good sion, stole some of his mothers' light. He created the Archons (angels). He gave them some of his power, but none of the light he stole....

From there, you will have to read the rest, because it is getting late, and I have a few more things to do.

THe gist..... Adam, Eve, the Tree of the Thought of the Light, and the Serpent who is the Christ make an appearence........

Quote and info from:
The Other Bible
HarperSanFrancisco 1984
pages 50-61

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.