New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic   

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  02:42:18  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
These silly things pretty much write themselves. As with my recent nonsense about rivers being asked to flow backward, all I've done is change a few key words in an existing story.

I'd be happy to see if others would care to try the same cheap trick:

A fashion model taxis as another steps
onto the catwalk in Chicago, Illinois.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- More than half of U.S. commercial fashion runways and catwalks don't have a 5-foot margin at the end of a runway, an overrun area the federal government says is needed as a safety zone, according to a new report.

Some of the busiest fashion shows in the country -- including those of Los Angeles' Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, Chicago's Fashion Week, and New York's Olympus Fashion Week -- have more than one runway that doesn't meet safety standards, according to statistics supplied by the Federal Fashion Administration.

"Our runways are out of shape, and the Bush administration has failed to move to correct the problem," Sen. Samuel Trydent, a New Jersey Democrat, said Thursday. "If we don't get serious about runway problems, the result could be disastrous."

The FFA says it is diligently upgrading the runways. The agency expects that all of them will meet the standard by 2015, when they are legally required to do so, according to FFA spokeswoman Maureen Bloudin.

"Today, 70 percent of commercial fashion runways have a runway safety area within 90 percent of the standard," Bloudin said. She said 236 runways were improved as of September 22.

At 325 fashion shows -- more than half of the 573 commercial fashion shows in the United States -- at least one runway lacks the 5-foot safety zone, according to the FFA's own figures. Almost half of all commercial runways -- 507 of 1,017 -- don't meet the safety standard.

Deadly model crashes can happen on runways because they're too short, improperly lit, poorly designed or lack safety equipment. A minor procedural error by a model or a fashion traffic controller can turn tragic if a wafer-thin model steps out into empty space to make her dramatic turn.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  03:24:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
That should be in The Onion.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  03:28:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

That should be in The Onion.

Thank you very much. I've read The Onion so much over the years, I have finally cracked the secret of their formula. It's very simple, actually.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.