New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  21:14:31  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
The Decider-turned-Compromiser has decided to forgo compromise for the moment after all, so long as he still has a lame duck GOP majority in the House and Senate to do his bidding. Since he still has that majority, he's decided to get partisan on the Nations ass, ignore the expressed will of the electorate, and slip some slick moves through before the party's over for the GOP.

In your face, thankless voters!

For starters, Bush will try to slip these through the discredited Congress:

He wants acting UN Ambassador John ("Got Milk?") Bolton, psycho managerial bully and NeoCon hardliner, confirmed as permanent UN Ambassador.

Bush wants the National Security Agency's already active, secret domestic surveillance program to be legalized after the fact by Congress.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  21:38:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message
I'm split on this.

1) I can live with John Bolton. Actually, I kinda like him. Okay, I think the UN deserves him.

2) I can see no reason to continue the warrentless NSA wiretaps. There is simply no good reason not to have FISA court oversight.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  21:59:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
1. Glad we disgree on something.

2. Indeed. FISA was a carefully worked-out compromise between needs of freedom and the clear and present danger of terrorism. Why the Hell not stick with it?

Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  23:28:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner
2. Indeed. FISA was a carefully worked-out compromise between needs of freedom and the clear and present danger of terrorism. Why the Hell not stick with it?

In my opinion it's to set the stage for George P. Bush to seize dictatorial control of the United States after his presidential election in 2012 or 2016.*

* Just kidding.
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  06:10:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mycroft

I'm split on this.

1) I can live with John Bolton. Actually, I kinda like him. Okay, I think the UN deserves him.

2) I can see no reason to continue the warrentless NSA wiretaps. There is simply no good reason not to have FISA court oversight.

I agree, both counts.

However, Bolton may well be history.

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  20:00:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Bolton is incompetent as a diplomat in a position which requires a competent diplomat. You guys ever heard of the book, "The Ugly American"? Because you would do well to read it or re-read it.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  21:00:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
It's looking more and more as though even the lame duck Congress won't let itself be used by the Commander in Chimp. And here I was all worried.

Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  21:36:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Bolton is incompetent as a diplomat in a position which requires a competent diplomat. You guys ever heard of the book, "The Ugly American"? Because you would do well to read it or re-read it.

Have you read the book? Or do you only know it by reputation?
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  23:34:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Read it and saw the movie, though the movie is vague in my memory. Do you really need to ask? Let me guess, you're going to say it's from a different era, it's about communism and a McCarthy type scenario and not relevant to Bolton.

Let me tell you why it is relevant. Bolton and Cheney, Rummy and Wolfowitz for that matter, are all stuck in the past and even then they were wrong. They see the world as either a business partner or anti-US, just substitute terrorism for communism. All the anti-US countries have no life of their own, just anti-US in the egocentric thinking of Bolton and the rest. Those countries have people with wants and needs and lives that don't evolve around the US. We should be treating them as adults not as delinquent children who won't do as they are told. Bolton has made several statements to the effect he sees the world as centering around the US and everything is to be demanded, not negotiated.

So I ask you..do you think I disapprove of Bolton as our chief UN diplomat just because his former employees complained about what a jerk he was or because he previously said the UN could lose 10 floors and nothing would change?

If you said yes to either of those, you'd be wrong. It's his style of bullying, demanding all bow to the US, and his Ugly American attitude of not having a clue what the people he is dealing with are actually about. No knowledge of them, just stereotypical assumptions. That is how he comes across in every news interview I have seen with the man.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 11/11/2006 23:40:15
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.