Politics
 Dems win Senate pending recount...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  13:25:51  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
It seems the Montana race is over leaving only the Virginia recount in play. It will take a few weeks for the recount to go through, due to the fact that they cant start until the election is certified next week.

Im not sure if Karl can manufacture the 7500 votes needed to overcome the deficit.

At best the GOP can only get a tie, with the leftist independents on the Dem side, though Cheney is the tie-breaker.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  17:37:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
This is really a startling development. Some months ago, I'd predicted the Democrats would take both houses, but I felt I was on very shaky ground even as I predicted it.

Things will be very different, with the GOP no longer being able, through their chairmanships, to prevent Senate investigations into a myriad of Administration abuses. And should another Supreme Court justice die or resign, it's going to be much harder to push another NeoCon through as a replacement.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  00:45:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I have the feeling Rove gave up on this one. They may have misjudged the Senate as did the right leaning newscasters. I suspect the bunch of them are just planning for 08. I heard a rumor they plan to sabotage everything the Dems might accomplish in order to deny them any success to run on in 08. I doubt Rove and company plan to just sit in their corner the next 2 years.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  02:06:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I'm reading that possibly the GOP will convince Allen to concede. Like that's gonna happen...... but then, it's been a funny election.

I'm also reading that in Montana, a recount would not be called for unless the gap is below a certain percentage. The votes are all counted and that percentage has been exceeded. Montana is a done deal.

I think Rove's lost his groove, if he ever had one. I have never seen why everyone's so afraid of him. All you have to do is go after him and whoever he tries to hide behind directly. To the best of my knowledge, that's never been tried, and I'll bet it'd not be all that difficult to take him down. Fuck Rove. A paper tiger made of Charmin.

What a pity that our 'popular' press is such a piss-poor pack of trained pussies instead of determined investigative reporters.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  02:46:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Stick a fork in it, this election's done.
quote:
An aide said Allen was not inclined to request a recount if the vote spread stayed the same as on election night, and the Montana secretary of state said he did not expect a recount.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  13:21:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
Arlington, Virginia - 15:17 EDT - Incumbent United States Senator George Allen, Republican from Virginia, has just made his official announcement conceding the race for United States Senate to Democrat candidate James Webb.

In making the announcement, after thanking his god, family, friends, and staff for all the good times and hard work, Allen said, "[. . .] the people of Virginia have spoken, and I respect their decision. And today, I've called and congratulated Jim Webb and his team." Then he went on to brag a bit about his accomplishments and how things are better for the people of Virginia. He mentioned how he recognized the complications involved in a recount, chose to take the positive, forward moving track, and conceded the election.

That makes it, for all practical purposes, official. The United States Senate will now be comprised of 51 Democrats and 49 Republicans. This gives Democrats complete majority control of Congress for the first time in 12 years.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  13:43:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Let's hope they do something positive with the power they have been given.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  13:53:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
I'm sure there are some things they can do, but they still have to override Bush, and except for a couple of exceptions like Sherrod Brown in Ohio, most of the additions were people like Webb, who might as well be Republicans.

I'm hopeful, but I wouldn't expect much.

Maybe they'll work on some of the corruption and reverse some of the gerrymandering that Republicans have done.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  20:08:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
beskeptigal said:
quote:
I have the feeling Rove gave up on this one. They may have misjudged the Senate as did the right leaning newscasters. I suspect the bunch of them are just planning for 08. I heard a rumor they plan to sabotage everything the Dems might accomplish in order to deny them any success to run on in 08. I doubt Rove and company plan to just sit in their corner the next 2 years.

And the dems will counter by pushing bills through that they know full well W will veto. They can make the president look like an obstructionist, and use that in the 2008 races.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  07:38:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
What would happen to a bill that the President refused to either sign or veto?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  07:45:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Depends if congress is in session or not.

If they are in session then after 10 days the bill becomes law.

If they are out of session then after 10 days the bill does not become law.

Pretty sure that's how it works....

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  08:03:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Pocket Veto

quote:
The U.S. Constitution requires the President to sign or veto any legislation placed on his desk within ten days (not including Sundays). If he does not, then it becomes law by default. The one exception to this rule is if Congress adjourns before the ten days are up and the President does not sign the bill. In such a case, the bill does not become law; it is effectively, if not actually, vetoed. If the President does sign the bill, then it does become law. Ignoring legislation, or "putting a bill in one's pocket" until Congress adjourns is thus called a pocket veto. Since Congress cannot vote while in adjournment, a pocket veto cannot be overridden.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  09:08:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Thanks! So to be an obstructionist, the President mostly has to be an active obstructionist, unless he can time things correctly. Sitting on his hands won't obstruct anything, most of the time.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.