Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  20:10:25  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Examining Nessie is No Wee Job

Inverness, November 12 (Exclusive to The Scotsman) -- Examining a patient can be more complex when that patient weighs several tonnes, and is mythical.

It required a team of about fifty vets, priests, biologists, engineers, carnival roustabouts, druids, and divers to complete this year's annual health checkup for the Loch Ness Monster.

A monster of a task: Check-up time for Nessie.

Cryptoveterinarian Dr Scot "Scotty" MacScott, who joined the examination team for the first time this year, remarked, "I've examined many mythical creatures, but Nessie was the most challenging patient I've ever worked with. With the Yeti, for instance, all you have to do is shoot him with a tranquiliser dart, then get six big lads to lay him out on an extra-long examination table. It's all straightforward work after that. Even Mokele Mbembe is an easier subject than Nessie to work with, being a gentle, vegetarian land animal. Just slip a sack over his head, and he becomes quite placid."

Dr MacScott continued, "Examining the Loch Ness Monster is a complex, multidisciplinary task. The labour must be perfectly choreographed. Even assuming you could fire enough tranquiliser into her with some kind of harpoon gun, this creature would likely slip under the Loch and drown before we could get to her. So we have to first attract her with druidical spells, then wrestle her into a gigantic sling for the examination, all the while keeping her wet, whilst having a team of priests chanting exorcisms to calm her. And remember, she's no wee lass, is Nessie."

Other than a few internal parasites, for which she was treated, Nessie was given a clean bill of health.

Annual health examinations for the Loch Ness Monster began in 1952, and are funded by the Scotland Tourism Authority.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/13/2006 06:27:43

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  23:42:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I don't know. I have an invisible dragon in my garage who won't let me take his blood pressure. It's impossible to get the strap around his arm. Maybe that's not harder than using a rectal thermometer on Nessi though.

Well done once again HalfMooner. Keep 'em coming.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 11/12/2006 23:47:59
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  01:41:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
You may need to call in a hypothetical dragon-healer to check that beast, Ricky. And thanks for the encouragement!

Edited to add: I saw that photo on the Science & Space page at CNN.com. It was supposed to show a whale shark being checked out at a major ocean aquarium. But it could be anything, from that shot. I thought of Nessie, and the story wrote itself.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/13/2006 02:06:28
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  05:07:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Annual health examinations for the Loch Ness Monster began in 1952, and are funded by the Scotland Tourism Authority.

Indeed!

But y'know, that might have a ring of commercial truth about it. Tourist cash is considered free money everywhere, and any way to attract it, fair or foul, is OK with those who recieve it.

Hey, send this off to some travel agent somewhere, then monitor their ads....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  05:32:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:

Indeed!

But y'know, that might have a ring of commercial truth about it. Tourist cash is considered free money everywhere, and any way to attract it, fair or foul, is OK with those who recieve it.

I imagined you were there, fil, as an interpreter translating between the vets and the roustabouts.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  07:53:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:

Indeed!

I imagined you were there, fil, as an interpreter translating between the vets and the roustabouts.

I'm fluent in Roustabout but my command of Veterinarian is a tad shakey. Be happy to take over the cookhouse, though. Nessie a'la orange or done cajun-style as file' Nessie gumbo sounds very tasty. And we'd probably have enough left over to make a decent batch of hash.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  12:45:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Is it always about cooking and eating with you, fil? Even if they enjoyed the actual consumption of your blackened lake-serpent as much as they like haggis, I suspect the Scotland Tourism Authority would not appreciate the economic results of your culinary choices.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/13/2006 12:47:52
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds.