Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  20:26:11  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message

quote:
ACORN Workers Indicted For Alleged Voter Fraud

Four people have been indicted on charges of voter fraud in Kansas City, officials said Wednesday.

Investigators said questionable registration forms for new voters were collected by the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, a group that works to improve minority and low-income communities.

The four indicted -- Kwaim A. Stenson, Dale D. Franklin, Stephanie L. Davis and Brian Gardner -- were employed by ACORN as registration recruiters. They were each charged with two counts.

Federal indictments allege the four turned in false voter registration applications. Prosecutors said the indictments are part of a national investigation.

ACORN and Project Vote recruit and assign workers to low-income and minority neighborhoods to register people to vote.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/kmbc/20061102/lo_kmbc/10214492

I bet Rumsfield is behind this somehow.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  20:32:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
If they are tried and convicted, I hope the judge throws the book at them.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2006 :  22:59:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

How can you advocate armed overthrow of our government then be so harsh on these who were apparantly trying to do the same thing by other means?

Is rule of law important to you or not?
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  01:51:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mycroft

quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

How can you advocate armed overthrow of our government then be so harsh on these who were apparantly trying to do the same thing by other means?

Is rule of law important to you or not?

I didn't exactly advocate the armed overthrow of Bush and the restoration of Constitutional government. I simply, after the fact, deplored the fact that it didn't get done long ago. I blame myself for not having the courage of my convictions, too. Now it's clear it will be accomplished peacefully.

Voting fraud, in my mind, is criminal. Sometimes not manning the barricades is, also, but that's not punishable by law.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/13/2006 01:51:56
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  03:45:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Wikipedia on ACORN:
quote:
ACORN, the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, is the largest community organization of low and moderate-income families in the United States[citation needed].

ACORN has an active membership of over 200,000 families, organized into more than 1200 neighborhood chapters in more than 110 cities across the United States, as well as in Argentina, Canada, Mexico, and Peru.[citation needed]

The organization was born out of the American Civil Rights Movement.[citation needed]

ACORN was founded by Wade Rathke, a community and labor organizer, in 1970.[citation needed]

The current president of ACORN is Maude Hurd.

It is refreshing to note that the organization is doing the right thing.
quote:
ACORN officials in Kansas City said they turned in the four people who were indicted.

"We're very happy that they were indicted," said Claudie Harris with ACORN.

Harris said ACORN workers are paid by the hour and not by the number of voter registration cards they turn in. "When you fraudulently defraud this, that gives us a bad name and what we're trying to do a bad name," Harris said.

ACORN officials said the four indicted have been fired.

On a comparative scale, it's all pretty nickle & dime. If our Justice Dept. were at all interested in election fraud, there would have been a lot of people in jail and/or staying close to their lawyers, since 2,000.

I wonder how you "fraudulently defraud" something. A good trick, that....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 11/13/2006 03:47:09
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.