New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  09:59:13  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Looks like the GOP has given up even a pretense of trying to appeal to African Americans -- or to racially tolerant Americans in general, for that matter. The have just now elected Trent Lott, the racist Republican Senator from Mississippi, as their Senate Whip.

Senator Trent Lott's official portrait

Lott, as those outside the GOP may recall, was forced under a storm of protest to withdraw as a contender for Senate Majority Leader in 2002, following remarks praising Strom Thurmond's noted segregationist past.

Lott spoke at Thurmond's 100th birthday party in 2002:
quote:
"I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either."
Lott was praising Thurmond's run for President in 1948 as a segregationist Dixiecrat. According to the above Wiki on Lott:
quote:
As a Congressman, he voted against renewal of the Voting Rights Act and opposed the Martin Luther King Holiday. Lott also maintained an affiliation with the Council of Conservative Citizens, which is described as a hate group by the ADL, NAACP and SPLC.
The Council of Conservative Citizens is essentially the white-collar version of the KKK. But hey, good ol' boys like Lott are okay by the GOP's forgiving and forgetting standards!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/15/2006 11:28:19

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  12:05:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Looks like the GOP has given up even a pretense of trying to appeal to African Americans -- or to racially tolerant Americans in general, for that matter. The have just now elected Trent Lott, the racist Republican Senator from Mississippi, as their Senate Whip.

So now we are looking at Murtha as Majority leader and Lott as whip. Maybe they could head up the ethics commission together in a joint bipartisan effort?

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  12:18:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bill scott

quote:

So now we are looking at Murtha as Majority leader and Lott as whip. Maybe they could head up the ethics commission together in a joint bipartisan effort?

Me, I'm against both corrupt and racist politicians from either party.

Are you gonna give Lott's racism a pass? While ignoring the many corrupt GOP politicians caught up in the Abramoff scandal, will you continue to selectively hit John Murtha? Or are you going to condemn racism and corruption wherever you see it?

What say you, Bill?

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  13:35:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Are you gonna give Lott's racism a pass? While ignoring the many corrupt GOP politicians caught up in the Abramoff scandal, will you continue to selectively hit John Murtha? Or are you going to condemn racism and corruption wherever you see it?

What say you, Bill?

I fully condem any racist actions of TL past, present and future. If he were running in my state I would not vote for him. I am as amazed by this selection as I am by the Murta one.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  14:01:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:

quote:

LOL
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  15:04:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What say you, Bill?

I fully condem any racist actions of TL past, present and future. If he were running in my state I would not vote for him. I am as amazed by this selection as I am by the Murta one.

Good for you, Bill!

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  21:06:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message

quote:
Good for you, Bill!

I try to be very skeptical of both sides of the isle, Half.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds.