Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 General Discussion
 I had no idea a crane falling could do that much..
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  01:40:35  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
damage. Wow, just wow. One poor guy in one of the buildings was killed. Death is so random sometimes. The operator survived!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003434979_crane17m.html
Go to the "photo gallery" link (middle page, on right) for best pics.

More info:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/292891_crane18.html
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/20061118/crane.pdf
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/photos/photo.asp?PhotoID=107484

Edited by - beskeptigal on 11/18/2006 01:41:42

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  01:49:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Crikey, B.! That's terrible!

(I probably shouldn't ask this, but why didn't the building debris stay within the "footprint" of the crane, if only gravity were at work? The very lack of evidence of CD involvement hints darkly of a sinister conspiracy.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  18:06:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
It's funny that my girlfriend and I were just talking about the high winds and the crane a couple days earlier while walking in that area.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  02:40:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Are you in Bellevue, @tomic?

I walked around the site today. Dropped my son off for a job interview a block away. I'm not sure why this struck an emotional chord with me but it did.

It took out half of one two story building completely, scraped the front off of a few offices in a high rise and smashed one room in one apartment which killed the one person and damaged the apartments beneath it but didn't collapse them. Then you look around and there are cranes everywhere. One across the street from this one is identical.

It's looking like the fault was in how it was bolted down. These things are permanently secured to the concrete during use. I had always pictured them as mobile on a truck or something but they are delivered in sections and built in place. There must be 10 of them in a couple of square miles around downtown.

I was in a building just across the street and 1/2 block down before the election. Moveon.org set up an office there we were calling voters out of.

I live 3 miles away. I hadn't walked around downtown in a while. The whole city center is many stories higher. Seems like big construction is on every block.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 11/19/2006 02:46:23
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  02:46:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Yes, I live no more than 2 miles from where the crane fell. Bellevue is absolutely littered with these cranes. I wonder what Bellevue is going to be like when all of the current projects are complete. It's going to be a mess since our city planners don't appear to do much besides encouraging construction.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  02:48:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Well I'll be darned. I just looked at @tomic's profile. We're in the same town! I didn't know that. We have to get together some day. Perhaps after the wedding?

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  02:49:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I'm on the top of Wilburton Hill with the park in the back yard. Where are you?
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  02:54:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Kemper Development is one of my clients. They are responsible for half of downtown. I see the plans in the offices when I'm there and they actually look pretty nice compared to Seattle, for instance. The city is also a client of mine. Bellevue is doing a lot more with city planning than Seattle ever did. And we have a neighborhood organization with several members who get everyone involved when construction planning is nearby. The city does encourage growth but then what city doesn't?

Edited by - beskeptigal on 11/19/2006 02:55:09
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds.