New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  02:25:25  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I love this kind of rare story! This is a weird one, but it appears to be true. (In other words, it's not one of my fake news items.)

The remains of a long-shut-down light-water U-235 fission reactor has been identified in the West African nation of Gabon. During its remarkable operational lifetime -- about 150,000 continuous years -- the reactor is estimated to have produced "the energy equivalent of one hundred Megaton bombs." But it was a primitive reactor by modern standards: At the peak of its operation, the "Oklo reactor" produced a mere trickle of 100 kilowatts of energy at any one time.

But this was not an electric generation plant set up by aliens. Instead, scientists believe the Oklo reactor was entirely natural.
quote:
Natural Nuclear Reaction Powered Ancient Geyser

By Michael Schirber
LiveScience Staff Writer
posted: 09 November, 2004
9:00 a.m. ET

With all the complicated engineering and physics needed to build a nuclear reactor, it is rather remarkable that one turned on spontaneously two billion years ago.

Evidence for this natural reactor was found in 1972 at the Oklo mine in the West African country of Gabon. New research confirms that water regulated the nuclear reactions in a cyclic pattern similar to that in a geyser.

Alex Meshik and his colleagues at Washington University of St. Louis have determined that the Oklo reactor, which comprises several separate sites, ran for 30 minutes and then shut off for 2.5 hours, before starting over.

"The time is characteristic of water infiltrating rocks and then being boiled off once reactions started," Meshik told LiveScience.

When the water all boiled away, the reactions stopped until new water percolated back down. This geyser-like activity also prevented a runaway reaction.

"It's amazing it didn't explode," Meshik said. "Instead it released energy in short pulses."

. . .

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/07/2006 03:27:15

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  10:01:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Wikipedia.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  12:01:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Thanks for the link, Dave! Should'a known Wiki would have it already.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  20:12:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Hey, since the rates of daughter products of the reactions test certain physical constants for us, the Oklo reactors have shown up in the creation/evolution debate (specifically, when creationists claim that radioactive decay might have been much faster in the past, see claim CF210). That's how I first learned of Oklo, perhaps ten years ago.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  20:15:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Ten years ago? Wow! I did notice the LiveScience article is a couple of years old, but I'd never heard this stuff. Certainly is solid evidence of a very old earth.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  22:08:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Check the Wiki and the LiveScience article: the evidence for Oklo being a natural nuclear reactor was found in 1972.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  05:46:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maser#Astrophysical_masers

On a related note, masers are also naturally occurring.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  06:36:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Now I just need a bag with a billion dollars in it to be naturally occuring in my living room.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  03:05:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Now I just need a bag with a billion dollars in it to be naturally occuring in my living room.

The onbvious solution would be to have many more living rooms. Your odds have got to improve then, right?

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  10:01:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I need the big bag of cash to be able to afford more living rooms.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

sts60
Skeptic Friend

141 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  21:01:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sts60 a Private Message
Scientific American had an excellent article on this a year or two ago. I'll have to see if I have the issue lying around somewhere.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.