Shooting Oneself in the Foot
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  06:35:45  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
Drafte 'em
quote:
"There's no question in my mind that this president and this administration would never have invaded Iraq, especially on the flimsy evidence that was presented to the Congress, if indeed we had a draft and members of Congress and the administration thought that their kids from their communities would be placed in harm's way," Rangel said.

If this is presented, let alone passes, what will that due to the Dems in 08?

At least this "version" appears to be a bit better way of doing it.

Peace
Joe

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  07:07:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Rangel has a point, but it's an inaccurate one. The elites have always been able to keep their kids out of the military, or at least out of action, when they wanted to, draft of no draft. (See Bush's easy way out for how not to be put in harm's way during a draft regime.) I know that the draft was perceived as so corrupt when it was last in force that a volunteer force was seen as much more honest.

Here's what I think: An honest draft would make politicians more careful. But there's not going to be an honest draft, and there never was. In fact, the more limited numbers available in a volunteer military are more likely to keep huge future adventurism minimized, at least compared to the Vietnam-scale military that the Cold War draft allowed. There could always be a draft in the face of an emergency, of course, but I don't think we are in one. A citizen's Army made up of draftees is much more an ideal than it ever has been reality -- with a slight exception in WWII, simply because so many were mobilized for that one, there wasn't as much room for corruption.

Rangel is a veteran. He made an honest mistake on this issue. Honest, but I don't agree with him. His ideal would lead to corruption and a more aggressive foreign policy.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  09:01:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
If they restart the draft I'm immigrating to Canada with my son. Nurses can go anywhere.

By the way, health care professionals can be drafted right now. That part of the Selective Service was only put on hold, not actually stopped.

"Some folks are born made to wave the flag;
ooh, they're red, white and blue.
And when the band plays "Hail to the Chief,"
ooh, they point the cannon at you.

It ain't me, it ain't me;
I ain't no senator's son.
I ain't no fortunate one.

Some folks are born silver spoon in hand,
Lord, don't they help themselves?
But when the taxman comes to the door,
Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale.

I ain't no millionaire's son.

Some folks inherit star-spangled eyes;
ooh, they'll send you down to war.
And when you ask 'em, 'How much should we give?"
ooh, they only answer, "More, more, more."

I ain't no militarist's son.

I ain't no fortunate son. "

Edited by - beskeptigal on 11/20/2006 09:03:32
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  13:36:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
This wasn't a Democratic Party idea, it was a Rangel idea. Nancy Pelosi ain't buying the draft:
quote:
House Speaker-elect Nancy Pelosi said Monday that restoring the draft will not be on that list and was not something she supported. "The speaker and I discussed scheduling and it did not include that," said her top deputy, incoming House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  13:58:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
If not "shooting in the foot" this proposal is certainly walking on thin ice. Also, I recall the admonition during the last presidential campaign that if Bush were elected he'd have to initiate a draft.

The only way I see a military draft working is if it were regulated with clearly worded and binding legislation which, with more clarity and legal knowledge than I can muster here, spells out that the draft shall only be invoked during a direct and real threat to the entire United States that would destroy or greatly harm our country. (i.e. WWII scenario.) And further define that it cannot be applied to any kind of preemptive strike or police action. War would have to be officially declared on an actual nation that posed a threat or attacked us and not a concept, like the "war on terror", which is too ill defined and can be applied to anything, included political dissent.

So to sum up, a draft should be only applied to total war wherein every citizen is subject to being either "in the army" or helping the war effort – and willing to do so for clear reasons without political ideology or an administration's ulterior motives. Keep it simple and never the first option unless completely obvious.

(And in case someone is thinking: "How obvious do you mean? What about 911?") 911 was a terrorist attack by a specific group of individuals and the response should have been, and was initially, a police action (which could involve the military.) Supporters of the attackers, the Taliban, were also targeted. Iraq was not involved and its invasion only served to increase terrorism throughout the Middle East. A draft instated to serve vaguely or ludicrously defined slogans (i.e. "to spread freedom") will surely result in domestic protests rivaling the Vietnam era antiwar movement.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  15:25:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Rangel has a point, but it's an inaccurate one. The elites have always been able to keep their kids out of the military, or at least out of action, when they wanted to, draft of no draft. (See Bush's easy way out for how not to be put in harm's way during a draft regime.) I know that the draft was perceived as so corrupt when it was last in force that a volunteer force was seen as much more honest.

Here's what I think: An honest draft would make politicians more careful. But there's not going to be an honest draft, and there never was. In fact, the more limited numbers available in a volunteer military are more likely to keep huge future adventurism minimized, at least compared to the Vietnam-scale military that the Cold War draft allowed. There could always be a draft in the face of an emergency, of course, but I don't think we are in one. A citizen's Army made up of draftees is much more an ideal than it ever has been reality -- with a slight exception in WWII, simply because so many were mobilized for that one, there wasn't as much room for corruption.

Rangel is a veteran. He made an honest mistake on this issue. Honest, but I don't agree with him. His ideal would lead to corruption and a more aggressive foreign policy.

I agree. The curropt always find a way. In this case, I can hardly blame them, but still........ Anyway I kind of digress, and am not foolish enough to beleive it would be honest.

I am in complete agreement with an all volunteer armed forces. As you said, if a draft is needed, then they can do it. It is such an unpopular idea however, that it works out better.

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  15:26:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

If they restart the draft I'm immigrating to Canada with my son. Nurses can go anywhere.

By the way, health care professionals can be drafted right now. That part of the Selective Service was only put on hold, not actually stopped.

"Some folks are born made to wave the flag;
ooh, they're red, white and blue.
And when the band plays "Hail to the Chief,"
ooh, they point the cannon at you.

I ain't no senator's son.

Some folks are born silver spoon in hand,
Lord, don't they help themselves?
But when the taxman comes to the door,
Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale.

I ain't no millionaire's son.

Some folks inherit star-spangled eyes;
ooh, they'll send you down to war.
And when you ask 'em, 'How much should we give?"
ooh, they only answer, "More, more, more."

I ain't no militarist's son.

I ain't no fortunate son. "

Rock on. Love that song.......

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  15:52:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chippewa

If not "shooting in the foot" this proposal is certainly walking on thin ice. Also, I recall the admonition during the last presidential campaign that if Bush were elected he'd have to initiate a draft.

The only way I see a military draft working is if it were regulated with clearly worded and binding legislation which, with more clarity and legal knowledge than I can muster here, spells out that the draft shall only be invoked during a direct and real threat to the entire United States that would destroy or greatly harm our country. (i.e. WWII scenario.) And further define that it cannot be applied to any kind of preemptive strike or police action. War would have to be officially declared on an actual nation that posed a threat or attacked us and not a concept, like the "war on terror", which is too ill defined and can be applied to anything, included political dissent.

So to sum up, a draft should be only applied to total war wherein every citizen is subject to being either "in the army" or helping the war effort – and willing to do so for clear reasons without political ideology or an administration's ulterior motives. Keep it simple and never the first option unless completely obvious.

(And in case someone is thinking: "How obvious do you mean? What about 911?") 911 was a terrorist attack by a specific group of individuals and the response should have been, and was initially, a police action (which could involve the military.) Supporters of the attackers, the Taliban, were also targeted. Iraq was not involved and its invasion only served to increase terrorism throughout the Middle East. A draft instated to serve vaguely or ludicrously defined slogans (i.e. "to spread freedom") will surely result in domestic protests rivaling the Vietnam era antiwar movement.

Can't agree more with wording it clearly and definitively with definitions written into an amendment.

Yaeh..... War on Terror...... It's a bloody war, and we can go on forever about needed / no needed, and we will disagree. However, it is a way (and I would like to see it clearly defined as such) and not subject to presidential whim. The Congress had no right to give these powers to Bush. Cheap/smart way out, if it works... they are great, if not blame Bush........ (This was at the begining of it, before Bush deserved the blame.)

I remember well the Kerry/Bush debates with each stating the other was going to institute the draft. Kerry had a "National Service" plan that could have been used as a draft.

Out-spun / flipped himself.......

Although I would love to see what he was actually going to do, which I do remember seeing the first-time I way-backed machine this, is the controls. Who goes where.

And it is not even that I am totally against the idea, but what do we do with them, and how do we support it? No plans available, gone with the rest of it.

There are thousands of things they could do, but do we want them doing them? What is the chance they will do them right. I am not saying some won't, or even half won't...... But if I used my High School class as an example, I would have to wonder if they did more harm then good..........

Hell, half of me likes the idea of two years civic service. I think it could toughen up some of these pansys, smarten up some, and they may get a whole new respect for the civil servants that make there life move along, and a new perspective on politics by seeing the world outside of acadameia before entering it.

I don't know, I am just rambling. I go back and forth... Love it/hate it.

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  20:54:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I don't remember where I heard this from, but it was along the lines of:

"Those who declare wars should be the first to fight in them."

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 11/20/2006 20:54:55
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  21:58:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
Update:
One idiot down, one to go.

If it takes a change in house rules, then Pelosi should work on changing the house rules.....

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds.