Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 Oh Jesus, now they're coming to my town...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pernicious

35 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  19:49:09  Show Profile Send Pernicious a Private Message
http://www.nashvillescene.com/Stories/News/2006/10/19/Reading_Writing_and_Jesus/index.shtml

My hometown school board, in their infinite wsidom, has hopped on this unconstitutional bandwagon...

What a bunch of assbags. Unfotunately, I'm in a small minority of folks who are not a bunch of assbags here locally, and these guys will get voted back in. My town has also made the news recently with a big-ass prayer rally at a local school, which was blowback from an ACLU suit over school prayer. Cause, you know, the big bad ACLU is trying to persecute the Christians....

Anyway thought I would throw this out there so I could vent a little and warn you guys, if you live in a rural, conservative area, and have school-age kids (like me), watch out- the Bible might be a textbook. <shudder>

If I was the Supreme Being, I wouldn't muck about with butterflies and dandelions, I'd start with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!
-Time Bandits

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  21:33:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
Ouch, sorry man. If it gets to bad for you just pull them out and homeschool them. If Christions can do it, so can we. :)

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  22:37:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Ah, Jeeze. Says there, “According to NCBCPS, its curriculum is taught in hundreds of schools 'from Alaska to Florida' and has 'never been challenged in court.'”

Well, with the help of The Worst Actor Ever, I think this outright Biblical public school curriculum has just come onto the ACLU's national praydar.

And, “'This isn't a religious agenda,' says Terry Redman, a Wilson County resident who initially proposed the idea of a Bible class centered on the NCBCPS curriculum. 'Students just need to understand the Bible.'” They sure need to understand the Constitution, and how ultimately the Establishment Clause protects religions as well as free thought.

But it doesn't matter how ignorant and intolerant the people you live amongst are, Pernicious: They, too must submit to the nation's unitary Constitutional protections, whether they like it or not. The case of USA vs. CSA settled that issue in the court of war.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2006 :  02:13:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
From the article, "“This isn't a religious agenda,” says Terry Redman, a Wilson County resident who initially proposed the idea of a Bible class centered on the NCBCPS curriculum. “Students just need to understand the Bible.”"

Typical Evangelical liars. Just what is it one needs to "understand" that isn't part of a religious agenda?

I might show up at a school board meeting with a copy of the Koran, multiple Biblical texts including the Torah and the Gnostic Books that weren't Cannonized, and maybe some Shinto, Hindu, Confucius, Buddhist, and Native American writings and just ask they all be included if one is going to have a Bible class.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2006 :  03:19:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
It is interesting, if not surprising, to see that Carl Baugh, Hovind wannabe and human/dino-tracks whacko, is involved with this outfit. Here's Wikipedia's take on him:
quote:
Biography

Baugh presides over the Creation Evidence Museum he established in July 1984 in Glen Rose, Texas, near the Dinosaur Valley State Park. He also appears on a weekly Trinity Broadcasting Network show called "Creation in the 21st Century" and is president and Ph. D alumnus of the Pacific International University, which many have accused of being a diploma mill.[1][2]He has been given television exposure by the tele-evangelist Kenneth Copeland. He has authored several books on such topics as the age of the universe, dinosaurs coexisting with humans and critiques of evolution.[3] Despite his lack of education in science, some consider Baugh "an authority in Creation Science."[citation needed]

In his 1992 book, Panorama of Creation, Baugh claims that a layer of metallic hydrogen surrounded the early earth. Furthermore, he professes that hexagonal water, or, "Creation water" as he calls it, is capable of healing. Such claims were addressed by scientists as pseudoscience[2], and his theories and degrees are not accepted in academia.[4]

Baugh has claimed several degrees, at one point professing to earning three doctorates.[5] All three "doctorates" are from unaccredited "schools." One is an honorary "Doctor of Philosophy in Theology" from the California Graduate School of Theology (not accredited). Another "doctorate" comes from Pacific International University (not accredited), a distance education only "school" Baugh was the president of. In 2005, Baugh completed a Doctorate degree in Theology from the unaccredited Louisiana Baptist University.

Over the years, he has also promoted the notorious London Hammer as "proof" for a young earth.

quote:
An iron and wooden hammer, sometimes called the "London Artifact" or "London Hammer," found by local hikers in a creek bed near London, Texas in 1936, has been promoted by Carl Baugh and other strict creationists as an out-of place artifact. They maintain that the hammer, which was partially embedded in a small, limy rock concretion, originated in a Cretaceous rock formation (or an Ordovician or Silurian one, depending on the account), thus contradicting the standard geologic timetable. However, the hammer was not documented in situ, and has not been reliably associated with any specific host formation. Other relatively recent implements have been found encased in by similar nodules, and can form within centuries or even decades under proper conditions (Stromberg, 2004). The hammer in question was probably dropped or discarded by a local miner or craftsman within the last few hundred years, after which dissolved limy sediment hardened into a nodule around it. Although a brief rebuttal to Baugh's hammer claims was made by Cole (1985), Baugh and a few other creationists continue to promote it. This review provides further analysis of the hammer and creationist claims about it.

It is said, and I can't confirm it one way or another (wish I could), that he currently has the Coso Artifact stashed somewhere in the particle board bowels of his double-wide Museum.

I must agree; sooner or later the ACLU will put the legal smackdown on them. In the meantime, the thing to do with the kids is what I did: answer all of their questions with the straight skinny, and deride these creationist liars, with reference, at every opportunity.

Odd though, NCBCPS is based in NC, as am I, and yet this is the first I've heard of them. Are they big enough and well enough funded to be all that much of a threat?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2006 :  09:03:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
They are probably trying to stay small so they can slip under the national radar.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

Pernicious

35 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2006 :  13:14:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Pernicious a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

From the article, "“This isn't a religious agenda,” says Terry Redman, a Wilson County resident who initially proposed the idea of a Bible class centered on the NCBCPS curriculum. “Students just need to understand the Bible.”"

Typical Evangelical liars. Just what is it one needs to "understand" that isn't part of a religious agenda?

I might show up at a school board meeting with a copy of the Koran, multiple Biblical texts including the Torah and the Gnostic Books that weren't Cannonized, and maybe some Shinto, Hindu, Confucius, Buddhist, and Native American writings and just ask they all be included if one is going to have a Bible class.

That is an excellent idea. Other religous texts had occurred to me, but not alternate Christian ones. I'm guessing these folks would be a little uncomfortable with the ones you mentioned being put on equal level as the good ol' KJ version. And with whole notion of the Bible being re-written, edited, added on to thoughout history. They wany to see it as an unchanging book handed down from God.

I'm not particularly worried about my kids, they're tending toward science geeks like me and are pretty darn skeptical already, and I will make sure they're clear on stuff. But it just gets under my skin, and I'm already digging my heels in in anticipation of some creationist psuedo-scientfic babble being thrust into science class.

If I was the Supreme Being, I wouldn't muck about with butterflies and dandelions, I'd start with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!
-Time Bandits
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2006 :  00:06:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Well on that note I recommend a book called, "Hero with an African Face" and the "Epic of Gilgamesh". It appears there are the roots of some of the Biblical myths in earlier texts. Hero w/African Face details a lot of earlier myths including one of a virgin birth that predates the Bible. Gilgamesh might be the source of the Noah story.

We know the people responsible for the original Biblical texts migrated out of the regions of the world these other myths are from. So it makes sense the stories told from generation to generation would have roots but differ just as language evolves as people migrate.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds.