Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  17:12:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
H.H. said:
quote:
Exactly. Expect a massive global scale conflict as energy and food resources dwindle beyond their capacity to meet growing needs.

Energy is a serious concern. Food not so much.

Food, in areas where it is an issue, will be a limiting factor on population growth. We do have the ability to produce a lot more food than we currently do, if it ever comes to that. Western nations are not seeing steep pupulation growth curves, but are leveling out some. Most will be, if the current trend continues, be neutral or only slightly positive in 50 more years. So it doesn't seem we will be running out of food due to population pressures.

Energy demands, on the other hand, will continue to increase. There is only so much oil left, and we can estimate that the production of oil will peak(demand outpaces production and supply) sometime in this century. This is a limiting factor as well. It may spur wars, it may not. It depends on who is in charge at the time.

It will also do something else. If it suddenly happens it will cause a massive effort to find alternate power sources to meet demand. Will it change the world? Probably. But I don't think nukes and massive all out destruction will be the result.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  17:30:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:
Originally posted by Dude
The only realistic way that any modern nation is going to experience significant population reductions is from a massive war involving nukes.

Exactly. Expect a massive global scale conflict as energy and food resources dwindle beyond their capacity to meet growing needs.

I'm not saying it definitely will happen, but as I look ahead, nothing looks very hopeful to me.

Also note that a global plague and/or famine might trigger such too. Imagine if there were a prolonged dust-bowlesque drought that encompassed, say, all of Kansas and surrounding states. We might not starve, but someone else will when we buy their food from their greedy government. And given the level of international travel and the crowding of people in cities, a flu pandemic like the one in 1918 would kill tens to 100s of millions. It's not at all inconcievable to see large numbers of people die without nuclear war.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  18:29:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by chaloobi
Also note that a global plague and/or famine might trigger such too. Imagine if there were a prolonged dust-bowlesque drought that encompassed, say, all of Kansas and surrounding states. We might not starve, but someone else will when we buy their food from their greedy government. And given the level of international travel and the crowding of people in cities, a flu pandemic like the one in 1918 would kill tens to 100s of millions. It's not at all inconcievable to see large numbers of people die without nuclear war.

Right. Imagine what will happen to a continent like Africa when the world gets even hotter and there's no aid to spare.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  20:42:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude
Energy demands, on the other hand, will continue to increase. There is only so much oil left, and we can estimate that the production of oil will peak(demand outpaces production and supply) sometime in this century. This is a limiting factor as well. It may spur wars, it may not. It depends on who is in charge at the time.
I thought war already happened over oil...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  21:52:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
YO! A new film touches on this thread. I went to a screening of it this afternoon. It opens in San Francisco Christmas Day. In my city it opens January 5th. The film is titled "Children of Men." Most of the story in set in London or in other parts of the United Kingdom. The year in 2027. As the film opens, the YOUNGEST person on earth has just died. He is 18 years old. This is a frightening, chaotic movie that is, what I call, slice-of-life futuristic. Move over Orwell and Huxley. The guy who directed also did "Y tu mama tambien" and "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban."

Don't forget to take your Prozac before the movie starts.

OY!

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde
Edited by - Orwellingly Yurz on 12/02/2006 22:49:03
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  07:24:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Orwellingly Yurz

YO! A new film touches on this thread. I went to a screening of it this afternoon. It opens in San Francisco Christmas Day. In my city it opens January 5th. The film is titled "Children of Men." Most of the story in set in London or in other parts of the United Kingdom. The year in 2029. As the film opens, the YOUNGEST person on earth has just died. He is 18 years old. This is a frightening, chaotic movie that is, what I call, slice-of-life futuristic. Move over Orwell and Huxley. The guy who directed also did "Y tu mama tambien" and "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban."

Don't forget to take your Prozac before the movie starts.

OY!

It's based on a book of same name, by P.D. James, is it not?
Viz. Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Children_of_Men

On the rest, I agree with Dude.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Edited by - Siberia on 12/01/2006 07:27:05
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  11:46:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:
Originally posted by chaloobi

Right. Imagine what will happen to a continent like Africa when the world gets even hotter and there's no aid to spare.

Technically, AIDS is a slow-motion plague that's wreaking havoc in Africa right now, with very large segments of population infected in some countries. And most frighteningly, AIDS is not a particularly easy disease to get, unlike the flu. Could a Euro-bubonic-style plague wipe out 30% of the African population inside a year? It did in Europe, though there was no health management there to speak of at the time... that's a key factor to consider.

As far as climate warming, it really is up in the air. What will happen to Africa when the world warms? Will there be blanket changes in wind and rain patterns? What affect on Africa would changes in ocean currents have? Is it a case of the extremes being more extreme or will there be complete changes in local climates? One of the aspects of climate change that is most frightening is that no one can predict what the future state will be.

So its all about the gamble. Is it worth it to interupt oil-coal based economy, and the political-economic power structures established around it, over a problem we can't even predict the effects of? Not to our current government, it's not. But the costs of losing that gamble - ie. worst case scenario - are catastrophic. It's like betting your life when you don't know the odds. Who would do that?

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.