Can't find thread but Wiccan Symbol finally OKed
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  00:49:43  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
On the military headstone:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061203/ap_on_re_us/wiccan_soldier_2

I cannot find where we were discussing this. Maybe it was another forum????

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  01:00:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
It was here, B.:
http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7105

Glad they got that straightened out!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/03/2006 10:52:54
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  09:25:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I'm surprised Phelps and his minions weren't there to mark the occassion...

But it is nice to see rational heads prevail once in a while.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  11:09:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

They are probably scared of "witches." Were I a Wiccan, and that bunch showed up, I might be very tempted to put on a convincing "cursing" ceremony of some kind to give Phelps and his flock a nice scare, even if I had to invent such a ceremony. I'll bet those freaks have a very high level of belief in such superstitious stuff.

It would also be fun to see how the Westboro Baptist folks would react to outright, and aggressive, Satanists -- or just folks pretending to be Satanists.

Come to think of it, why don't people demonstrate at funerals for the Westboro flock members?

Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/03/2006 11:10:43
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  11:53:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Come to think of it, why don't people demonstrate at funerals for the Westboro flock members?

Everyone is too busy celebrating? Or no one gives a shit when these people die?

The most likely reason is that no one ever knows when one of these die; they probably eat their own or some weird shit.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  03:28:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

It was here, B.:
http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7105

Glad they got that straightened out!

The search engine in this forum leaves a bit to be desired. It found no matches for 'widow' 'wiccan' 'headstone' or 'gravestone'. Maybe I was doing something wrong.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  11:15:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Often/usually, I've found, the search times out, and returns a false negative result. But running it a second or third time works. I think excluding the forums you're not interested in, or excluding old stuff, helps it not time out. (I'm guessing the search limits its time to reduce server CPU overhead, and to avoid to being a tool for DoS attacks.)

I found the thread on the second page of the Religion forum thread list, without the search.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  05:52:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

quote:
Originally posted by pleco

They are probably scared of "witches." Were I a Wiccan, and that bunch showed up, I might be very tempted to put on a convincing "cursing" ceremony of some kind to give Phelps and his flock a nice scare, even if I had to invent such a ceremony. I'll bet those freaks have a very high level of belief in such superstitious stuff.

It would also be fun to see how the Westboro Baptist folks would react to outright, and aggressive, Satanists -- or just folks pretending to be Satanists.

There's only about a million of us in the states. And Phelps's thing is homosexuals. Like most fundie blights on society, he's a one issue asshole.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  06:12:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer
[There's only about a million of us in the states. And Phelps's thing is homosexuals. Like most fundie blights on society, he's a one issue asshole.

Well, I thought since it is a military funeral...seems like these people (like all fundies) are attracted to death like flies on shit.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  10:09:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I admit I'm just thrashing about for something to scare the likes of Phelps, without concern for, or much knowledge of, the groups that might scare him. Having said that, how about a cursing ceremony by gay Wiccans?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds.