Beyond Belief 2006
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  09:32:48  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
I shamelessly borrowed this link from a thread over at the Skepticality forum . It was originally posted by HiEv, a forum moderator over there.

These are a series of lectures and panel discussions appropriately called Beyond Belief 2006 Science, Religion, Reason, and Survival brought to us by The Science Network

There are ten sessions, so there is a lot of material here and to get through it all will require something of a time commitment. (Of course, you can listen to the ten sessions it at a leisurely pace, which is what I am doing.) You will recognize many of the participants, including Richard Dawkins, Ann Druyan, Sam Harris, Michael Shermer, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Steven Weinberg and many other notables.

I am not through it all yet, but I have to tell you that I simply loved Neil deGrasse Tysons lecture in session two. Ann Druyan was brilliant.

Have fun watching, and report back to this thread!!!! I am expecting these sessions to result in a pretty lively discussion here…

Edited to add: I was originally going to make this an Evil Pick for publication is our Skeptic Summary. But since many of you slackers don't read the summary, I decided to post it here…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  14:20:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
I liked the comments by Scott Atran. I'm definitely going to look into his research more.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  17:05:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
Thanks Kil.

I'm going to download 'em and watch 'em who knows when. I may even just rip the audio and listen, the visual content may be less critical.

Your comment reminded me, Neil deGrasse Tyson was (reasonably) recently on the Point of Inquiry podcast. I just checked, it was in late August. There's a download link on this page. I quite enjoyed his interview. I'll admit I didn't know who he was before this interview.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  17:33:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7164&whichpage=4#107949

I posted this on the 'Free for All Science and Religion' thread a while back. Looks like it got lost in the heat of battle. Be sure the check out the Richard Dawkins video stream. Great stuff!

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.