New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  17:32:34  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
It is said that you can't con an honest man, only those who want something for nothing. If that is true, one would think that churches would me immune to these scams. But such seems not to be the case.
quote:
Churches, Ministers Targeted By Nigerian E-mail Scammers

December 06, 2006 12:30 PM

Brian Ross and Joseph Rhee Report:

Nigerian e-mail scammers are successfully targeting American churches and ministers, cheating them out of millions of dollars under the guise of spreading the word of Jesus.

"They are going after small churches, claiming someone has left them a lot of money to improve their church or help others," U.S. postal inspector Steve Korinko told ABC News for an investigative report on the Nigerian scams to be aired Friday on 20/20 and World News with Charles Gibson.

I note that it says "smaller churchs and their ministers." I'd guess that such as Falwell and Robertson have so many of their own hoodwinks going that they really are immune. Or in cahoots with

I sometimes wonder if 'faith' makes someone more vulnerable to this sort of thing. If one believes in the unbelievable to start with, would it not make belief of another sort of pie in the sky easy to persuade?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  18:41:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
filthy:
I sometimes wonder if 'faith' makes someone more vulnerable to this sort of thing. If one believes in the unbelievable to start with, would it not make belief of another sort of pie in the sky easy to persuade?

Based on the New Ager's that I know, I would agree that a very good case could be made that once a person is open to one reason defying belief, that person runs the risk of becoming a credulous thinker. I see the whole New Age as an extension of religion.

That is not to say that all religious people are open to other kinds of bullshit, but once a person allows themselves the room for sloppy thinking, the door is open…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  19:53:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
It is definitely a slippery slop. I have seen the progression first hand many times. It has been said that to believe in god is to belief in everything/anything. I think there is more than a grain of truth in that whether it be god, unicorns, dragons, elementals, leprechauns, ..........

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  22:09:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Let's see, the church promises salvation and scams the congregation, then the Nigerians scam the church. Interesting.

Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  22:12:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
Arguing for Karma?

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  02:25:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Definitely - HMS Financial is an excellent example. This Ponzi scheme started in the Mennonite town of Linden, Alberta Canada and then spread to the Mormon town of Cardston Alberta. They have flecced the flocks of about $100,000,000 Canadian. A few years ago we having trouble getting inurance for a car for our son because it had an engine swap, so we used the previous owner's insurance agent who happened to be located in Linden. Recently I heard on news item on the HMS Financial fraud. They talked to to our insurance and a Policenan from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Commercial Crimes Division. The Mountie expressed frustration at the reluctanc of victims to come forward or even admit they had been defrauded. Many of them believed that the vanished fraudsters were in the US trying to recover the money. The insurance agent said that he had tried to warn people that this was a fraud and lost a lot of friends as result because people didn't want to hear it. Church congregations are excellent fishing holes for fraudsters as I believe you pointed out a while ago.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  18:33:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis

Arguing for Karma?

Not the 'fate' kind, but certainly the, 'I don't have a lot of sympathy' kind.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.