Sad, yet another witch hunt in present day
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  04:34:50  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Libya sentences Bulgaria nurses to death.

"But Libyans strongly supported a conviction. Some 50 relatives of the infected children — about 50 of whom have already died of AIDS — waited outside the court early Tuesday morning, holding poster-sized pictures of their children and bearing placards that read "Death for the children killers" and "
HIV made in Bulgaria....

Europe, the United States and international rights groups have accused Libya of prosecuting the six foreign staff as scapegoats for dirty conditions at the Benghazi children's hospital.

Luc Montagnier — the French doctor who was a co-discoverer of HIV — testified in the first trial that the virus was active in the hospital before the Bulgarian nurses began their contracts there in 1998.

More evidence for that argument surfaced on Dec. 6 — too late to be submitted in court — when Nature magazine published an analysis of HIV and hepatitis virus samples from the children.

Using changes in the genetic information of HIV over time as a "molecular clock," the analysts concluded that the virus was contracted before the six defendants arrived at the hospital — perhaps even three years before.

Idriss Lagha, the president of a group representing the victims, rejected the Nature article, telling a news conference in London on Monday that the nurses had infected the children with a "genetically engineered" virus. He accused them as doing so for research on behalf of foreign intelligence agencies."

They've already been in jail 7 years and convicted before. This was a re-trial. It's a sick world we live in. Anyone with common sense and half a brain can see this was a witch trial.

I hope every foreign nurse and doctor in that country leave in protest if these people are executed.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  04:45:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
The accused seem to have been convicted on as much evidence as American 9/11 CD conspiracists have. I hope they are freed, when it push comes down to shove. Otherwise, Libya is going to assume its pariah nation role once again, and again with good reason.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  15:45:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
I hope every foreign nurse and doctor in that country leave in protest if these people are executed.

What good would that do anyone? Witch hunts are done because of lack of reason and information, ignorance in other words. Having doctors and nurses leave would only further this ignorance.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  16:36:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

quote:

What good would that do anyone?
Social Darwinism?
Though not intentional, the removing of guest working doctors and nurses will have such result. Too bad people are sacrificed like this for political gains.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  21:47:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

quote:

What good would that do anyone? Witch hunts are done because of lack of reason and information, ignorance in other words. Having doctors and nurses leave would only further this ignorance.

It's my reaction. I take my nursing skills to a country and they turn on me in this vicious and unjust way, then why shouldn't the health care providers leave in protest? Remember, it is the parents in this case screaming for justice that have scapegoated the nurses as much as the government and legal system. While there are Bulgarian and other foreigners crying out against this case, the people in Lybia are ecstatic about it. At least that's what the news is reporting.

I have no empathy for these parents. There was a article about children being orphaned in Africa by families declaring they are witches and evicting them. Yet there is often an underlying resentment of having to care for a relative's child that precedes the accusation. In the case of these kids the Libyan government is trying to extort 13 million per child from Bulgaria for the kids. I don't think it is a coincidence then that these parents are all too pleased to see this absurd accusation 'believed'. The nurses purposefully infected 400 kids with HIV for ???? an experiment? Come on.

There may be some mob mentality in the belief but the money isn't a separate issue. There may be more to a lot of these supposedly ignorant beliefs than we think there are. I'm not saying it is clear cut false claim of this belief but I don't think it is completely out of ignorance either.

In fact, even with the CT believers in this country, there are some not so ignorant people who believe in the CTs. We should discuss that one of these days. What are the other factors operating besides ignorance?

Edited by - beskeptigal on 12/19/2006 21:52:53
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.