Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  02:12:44  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Hi everyone and Merry Christmas to all.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  02:16:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
And to you and your son, too!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  08:19:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Merry Sol Invictus to y'all too!

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  08:47:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  10:20:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
And the obligatory Happy Festivus!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  11:12:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Isn't it insulting to Christians for non-Christians to say "Merry Christmas" to other non-Christians? I mean, the generic "Happy Holidays" is perfectly nice from and to everyone, and saying "Merry Christmas" coming from or to a Christian makes sense. But nontheists saying it to each other just seems like making a mockery of the religious meaning of Christmas.

Happy HumanLight and Winter Solstice.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  11:28:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

Isn't it insulting to Christians for non-Christians to say "Merry Christmas" to other non-Christians? I mean, the generic "Happy Holidays" is perfectly nice from and to everyone, and saying "Merry Christmas" coming from or to a Christian makes sense. But nontheists saying it to each other just seems like making a mockery of the religious meaning of Christmas.

No. Not al all. A heart-felt, non-ironic, Merry Chistmas, HumanLight, and Winter Solstice to you, too.

Edited to add: Saying "Merry Christmas" is just natural to me, given my background. Since about fourth grade, it hasn't had much religious overtone with me, but saying anything else feels forced and artificial. So I say Merry Christmas out of a secular sense of goodwill.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/25/2006 12:22:21
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  14:02:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:

I say Merry Christmahannakwanzagnostickyule!

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  14:04:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
And a happy humbug as well.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  01:44:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

Another post after that night cap, Martha? But since you brought it up, A very happy human light and winter solstice to you and your loved ones.

Funny, I went to Xmas eve dinner with friends (son goes to Dad's). They thought it was odd I would celebrate Xmas as an atheist. I would bet half the people or more in this country celebrate Xmas because they love the holiday, not because it's part of their religious activities. They may be Christians or identify themselves as such, but many people don't connect this holiday to religion, they connect it to family tradition and wonderful memories.

Had a great Xmas with my son. Last night after he came home his friend called all depressed so they went out and found an all night restaurant to sit and talk. The other kid's dad "canceled Christmas" according to him. I thought big fight or something but it turned out the dad just said it was too much hassle and wrote checks for gifts and that was that. The boy was really upset.

They aren't religious, they don't normally put up lights but the kid (let's call him N) felt spending the day with his family was important and that's what he was upset about. He was so upset he came over and he and Mike went out.

Some things are important to kids and we don't always realize it. I made our traditional breakfast, I wrapped the presents even though most of them were from the list Mike gave me. I could have just given them to him. You don't always realize these things matter, but they do.

I didn't get the tree up. House is a mess and flu shots came late so my schedule was crunch city until Wed. So I put the tree up outside in the entry and put lights on it. I did get lights on the house. The tree actually looks nice there. I may do that again who knows.

Anyway, Merry Christmas. Ours was pretty nice considering how incomplete all the usual traditional stuff ended up. It really was the thoughts that counted.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 12/26/2006 01:49:03
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  02:08:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

Odd holiday greeting coming from a part of the world where it isn't the rebirth of the sun, but very appropriate for here (Canada) where the usn is very low in the sky at this time of year - I think I will use it in the future. The latin will make me sound erudite.

Mithras is the reason for the season.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  05:44:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic

quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

Odd holiday greeting coming from a part of the world where it isn't the rebirth of the sun, but very appropriate for here (Canada) where the usn is very low in the sky at this time of year - I think I will use it in the future. The latin will make me sound erudite.

Mithras is the reason for the season.

Indeed, but the majority always wins

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  07:20:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
I say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, or whatever. If you do not want my heartfelt blessings of peace and good tidings no matter your religion (or lack therefof) I could give a crap less. They will float around until someone deserving and wanting picks them up.

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  14:15:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
The irony of assholes like Bill O'Reilly insisting that people say "Merry Christmas" is that they are perpetuating the use of the term "Christmas" in a secular context, thus stripping Christmas of its religious meaning.

I know I'm in the minority when it comes to this issue. I refrain from saying "Merry Christmas" as a sign of respect toward Christians, and as a result, everybody from Christian to Atheist teases me. Oh well, I gotta be true to myself.

And I don't take offence when anyone else says "Merry Christmas" to me.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  01:25:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
From someone on the BA's blog:

Axial tilt is the reason for the season!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  01:27:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
You have a reasonable point, Marf. It makes sense. Not something I care much about, but I certainly respect your thoughts on the matter.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.