Extremophile Fish Lies on Near Molten Sulphur
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  08:47:56  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
A new species of tonguefish has been discovered that lives by undersea vents that spew molten sulphur. This fish may be eating the remains of fish killed by the toxic chemicals from the vent.

MP3 Audio File

There are severtal fish in this picture, but they are hard to see

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  14:14:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
I just love stories like this one. Thanks!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  15:35:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Me, I think these "scientists" are pulling more "Face on Mars" wool over our eyes. No mention of actually catching one of these fish. Are these guys incompetent fishermen, or what?

I look at the photo above and see absolutely nothing (aside from the significantly unmentioned intelligent crab, and its intricate system of canals). "Tongue-fish" indeed. Sounds to me like a strong hint the whole thing is tongue-in-cheek, and that the marine biologists are sticking their tongues out at us. I'll be a believer once I see these alleged critters in a fish market, where all real fish belong.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  16:33:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Fascinating listen, Ghost Skeptic. Some new wonders of the Earth's vast oceans come to light.

Here's a better shot of the same...
http://www.oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explorations/06fire/logs/may4/media/tongue_fish.html
Halfmooner, they're tough to see -- I count possibly ten tongue fish in the above image. Here's a quickie animation to point them out for you...

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  17:05:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
For someone who's fished the tidal flats and has a trained eye of sorts, they are not too hard to spot. Snake hunting helps too a bit, too. They look a little like lizard fish, a similarly-marked and shaped, small ambush predator of the shallows.

I would suspect that like many bathypelagic species, they rely upon a sort of trickle-down economics -- stuff falling from above.

Interesting that, in such a lightless environment, they have skin markings. Might be that they are either relatively new arrivals, or they have a serious predator that can somehow see them. Or, they might be just visiting.

The more you find out, the less you know, eh? Thanks Ghost. I'll be keeping a lookout for more info on them.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  17:27:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Randy

Fascinating listen, Ghost Skeptic. Some new wonders of the Earth's vast oceans come to light.

Here's a better shot of the same...
http://www.oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explorations/06fire/logs/may4/media/tongue_fish.html
Halfmooner, they're tough to see -- I count possibly ten tongue fish in the above image. Here's a quickie animation to point them out for you...

You and your fancy-schmancy animation, Randy. Anyone can outline some rocks with fish shapes. I suppose you're gonna say these "fish" have developed camouflage. For what? To protect them from sulfur-burning steam-sharks? Jeeze.

Here's what I see and don't see:

See?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2006 :  17:47:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Here's another article with a better photo. I see that my
'lizard fish" comparison was in error.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds.