New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  06:37:35  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
In 2005, Bill Dembski, Creationist, Discovery Institute Fellow, and "research professor" of mathematics at Southwest Baptist Theological Seminary (as though a fundy bible school needs math researchers!), bragged about a "Vise Strategy," wherein "evolutionists" would be forced to break down in tears under oath and expose their lies. During the Dover Trial early this year, Dembski's opportunity became real. Dembski was one of several ID "experts" who were supposedly going to testify.

quote:
"I'm waiting for the day when the hearings are not voluntary but involve subpoenas in which evolutionists are deposed at length on their views. On that happy day, I can assure you they won't come off looking well." William Dembski (May 7, 2005)

Instead, and despite "waiting for the day," Bill was just another one of the IDers who chickened out, and found better places to be than Dover, Pennsylvania.

Why did Dembski fail to show? Simple: If he's testified, he would have had to testify under oath. Meaning, he would have either had to risk having his lies exposed and punished, or would have had to admit his "theories" about "Irreducible Complexity" were merely a bunch of stop-gap defensive crap made up for Christian apologetic purposes.

This was the acid test to separate the deluded ID sheep from the deluding ID goats. If Dembski were simply an honest crackpot, he would have testified without fear. Staying away shows that he is a deliberate liar, and knows it. A lying "pious fraud," and a coward who deserts even his own cause to save his happy little security as the pet "scientist" mascot at a third-rate bible college, and recipient of crazy billionaire Howard Ahmanson's largess via the Discovery Institute.

Bill Dembski, the Issac Newton of Cold Feet.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/29/2006 07:02:49

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  07:46:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Dembski knows that science would tear him a new one, if it ever happened. Me, I'd love to see him get his wish, but the "Vise Stratedgy" is as dead as yesterday's chittlins, and was from it's conception.

It has only hung around this long because far too large of a percentage us are scientifically illiterate. A good speaker can make it sound like a good fight, but when the gloves are off and the knives out, he's got nothing to defend himself with. He can't fight, so he's gotta run.

I actually feel a little (not much; just a little) sorry for Behe. The poor bastard was left to swing in the wind, and got his head handed to him.

All Dembski has left are long whines about Judge Jones, and I think ID, like the "Vise," is all but dead. Smack it with the shovel until it quits wriggling, then drop it in the hole.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  08:12:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
I am still waiting for that bottle of scotch.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  12:27:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
ID can't win in courts because courts are based on evidence. ID and religion wins in the hearts, not minds of individuals. They know it as well as we do. The problem is that most people are emotional thinkers or not thinkers at all. In a democracy, the most votes count not the most sane votes. Of course, we are on the defense here. We already have our way, evolution is taught, but they can continue to fight and fight without any losses, until eventually, they might win.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  19:50:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Check out the Photoshopping skillz over at Red State Rabble!

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  20:08:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Yeah, I love that Cowardly Lion!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.