Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  09:51:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I wonder what fruit will grow from the seeds we have planted, and I'm not looking forward to seeing it unfold. And I hope it doesn't harm my daughter when she gets to be my age (or sooner...)

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  12:42:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Boron10

quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis:
Sadly, I don't have a much better way to handle the situation. Which is exactly why I am not vocal on the matter. If I were in the administration, I would probably be working more on exit strategy and minimizing the losses. Of course, I would also be privy to alot of other information and that may change accordingly.
I believe most Political and Military Leaders are working on exactly that. Politics and military plan for success and for failure. Hope for one, be prepared for the other.

I don't know about that. I don't see the difficulty alot of people do in just exiting a military campaign (especially one of this nature). If they are planning exit strategy, then why the call for a surge of troops? Why the constant assertions from the admin that we can "win this war", despite not having an actual plan on how to do so? Pride aside, what do we loose when we exit without "victory"?

quote:
quote:
Personally, I don't like the excuse of "Do you know how hard his job is?". Sure, arguably the most difficult in the world, however, that doesn't mean he shouldn't still do a good job. After all, playing in the NBA is hard too, but I certainly would rather have Kobe, Shaq, or Iverson. Can I get a job in the NBA by saying "Do you have any idea how hard basketball is?"
I had no intention of asking if you knew how hard his job is, and apologize if that's how I came across.

I have the annoying habit of holding professionals up to higher standards than amateurs (see my posts in this thread). To follow the basketball analogy, I think it is inexcusable for a professional basketball player to miss a free-throw. I only have about a 70% success rate, but I would expect somebody whose job is to play basketball to be much better than me. So much better, in fact, that a static problem like a free-throw should be pathetically simple.

I agree. It is why I use basketball as an analogy.
quote:

Anyway, my point is this: I completely agree that the President of the United States and his Military Advisors should be able to come up with a viable strategy.

Me too.

quote:
quote:
In any case, I think it is a hopeless scenario. Maybe I am wrong. I just don't see how our troops, or any of the other nations troops, can help the situation as it is.
Unfortunately, neither do I. There are many people in this country thinking of this very problem, though. You'd think somebody would have a great idea and would be able to present it to Congress and the public.

I am hoping. I have lost about all hope in out current admin. I just don't see this going in a good direction. I am reading the history books yet to be written, and all they say is how much of a military fiasco this is in our history.

Edited to fix quoting

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Edited by - Neurosis on 01/04/2007 13:01:23
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  12:54:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
I don't think that Iraq's security was in anyway (nor is it now) a goal of the war. If anything, it seems that destability is the goal. I don't know about the "Pax Americana" goal either, but I would not doubt it. Especially, when one considers how much fortunes could change hands when oil is so precious. If your enemy in a real time strategy game controlled most of the resources, and was involved in civil war and unstability what exactly would you do? Give them a helping hand or reinforce that unstability?

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  13:26:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Exactly. I think that's what people miss about the oil connection. It isn't that oil companies make more profits if the U.S. attacks Iraq, it's that no one else gets control. Maybe the U.S. won't get complete control, but neither will China, or Russia, France, or even a unified, strong Iraq. Better to split it into a shaky federation or even distinct nations if a puppet regime won't work.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.