Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  13:05:27  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
YO: Some thoughts on Saddam's necktie party...

I was so glad to learn that they'll be videotaping Saddam's choking to death and having his neck snapped at the same time. Now I can download it and watch it over and over again...whenever I want to see it; unless of course, I turn on Fox News Channel. Then, I can just watch their loop of it as it tries to spin Bush's numbers out of the toilet.

Another US boogey-man down the chute. Yippee!!! This will be much more entertaining than watching the film, "In Cold Blood." Why Perry Smith when it can be Saddam Hussein.

I've never seen such blatant reprehensibility on the part of a contemporary leader, except maybe for Stalin, Hitler, Amin and Mr. Pot. But heck, Bush has another two years. He can do a lot more damage in that amount of time.

Have a good New Year-----when one gets here. OY!

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  20:49:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
Could you imagine the outcry if one of the Fox reporters did this?

See the video
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  00:05:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I guess it was just too much pressure on her and she choked. I really wanted to hear the rest of that story and she just left me hanging. But here I am just being a nuisance.

Can they really show that on air? Not allowed to show a breast, but you are allowed to show a real man being executed. This country has to get it's priorities straightened out.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  11:42:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
YO! I'm assuming from the two subsequent posts to mine here that the attachment from Original Intent shows someone being hanged. I thought that it might, on reading just OI's post. The next post seemed to corroborate it.

Like just about everyone else, I DON'T weep for Saddam, but I do for those who take pleasure in his hanging. And those who are stupid enough to think they can say with a straight face to the world, as Bush did today, that Saddam's execution won't stop the violence.
Good God, man, what do you call hanging a man by his neck until dead?

Bush is as nutty as the bastard who just got his necked stretched this morning for doing things cruel---but not unusual.

So, bring on the breasts!

OY!

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

--me

--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

--Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  17:58:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
YO! I'm assuming from the two subsequent posts to mine here that the attachment from Original Intent shows someone being hanged. I thought that it might, on reading just OI's post. The next post seemed to corroborate it.

No, the link shows a news women reporting that Saddam may be hanged soon, but she started coughing shortly into the story and then went slient.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  18:13:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Original_Intent:

See the video
Outcry from whom? You're saying that somebody, other than the reporter's boss, would be upset about a reporter choking on air? Please clarify.

Edited to add: Why do you seem to think it would be worse for a Fox news reporter to display a lack of professionalism than for an MSNBC reporter? Many would say that's just par for the course.
Edited by - Boron10 on 12/30/2006 18:15:52
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  19:40:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
From the sounds she made, I think she had an asthmatic attack. The perils of live broadcasting.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  20:22:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Seeing the Rummy handshake with Saddam on another you-tube shot made me think. They were going to keep going and try Saddam for the Kurd's being gassed. Maybe that's where the Bush team was afraid things would get too close. Quick, hang him before any more closets are opened.

I also have to tell you. I met someone years ago (early 80s or late 70s but long before Iraq was in any US news) that had traveled in Iraq. He told me Saddam had people hanged and left up so you entered a town and passed the dead rotting on gallows. That picture has always stuck in my mind.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 12/30/2006 20:25:32
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  21:06:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Yup.

One thing I've noticed: After a dictator falls, be he right, left, or just free-range, the outrageous charges of atrocities you've long heard about him are more often confirmed than disproven. I don't know if this is some kind of historical principle in action, but it tends to be a pretty good general rule of thumb.

Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  21:35:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Boron10

quote:

See the video
Outcry from whom? You're saying that somebody, other than the reporter's boss, would be upset about a reporter choking on air? Please clarify.

Edited to add: Why do you seem to think it would be worse for a Fox news reporter to display a lack of professionalism than for an MSNBC reporter? Many would say that's just par for the course.

I found it pretty, if not funny?????? whats the word????? Hell.....\ There talking about hanging him and she starts choughing and chocking..... I could just see the reaction if someone on Fox did that... Everyone ready to jump on them and all......

I didn't even consider it unprofessional..... I would hate to think she was doing it on purpose..... Shit happens......

Maybe I am nieve and wrong and she was doing it on purpose......

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  21:37:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
YO: Beskeptigal's report on just another atrocity of Saddam's (some with the help of the US), reminds me of a film I saw and reviewed back in, I think it was 2003. The movie is called "The Dancer Upstairs." Javier Bardem had the lead as an investigator who is trying to capture a left-wing terrorist in a South American city.

In the film, it shows a slightly less shocking "prank" of the movie terrorist: the dead and rotting bodies of dogs hanging from street light poles.

The movie is a bit forgettable, so I don't remember what the hanging-dogs message was.

OY!

--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

--me

--J. Paul Getty

--Oscar Wilde

--Albert Camus

--Albert Camus

--Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  21:42:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Seeing the Rummy handshake with Saddam on another you-tube shot made me think. They were going to keep going and try Saddam for the Kurd's being gassed. Maybe that's where the Bush team was afraid things would get too close. Quick, hang him before any more closets are opened.

I also have to tell you. I met someone years ago (early 80s or late 70s but long before Iraq was in any US news) that had traveled in Iraq. He told me Saddam had people hanged and left up so you entered a town and passed the dead rotting on gallows. That picture has always stuck in my mind.

Pretty typical medevil actions for a medevil sort of guy......

Maybe you weren't watching the news in the 80's, but I remember a lot about the Iran/Iraq war, and the Israeli's destroying the nuclear reactor. Mustard gas on the Iranians and chemical weapons agaisnt the Kurds..... Though I can't recall the timeline on these....

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  22:26:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Original_Intent

quote:

quote:

See the video

I found it pretty, if not funny?????? whats the word????? Hell.....\ There talking about hanging him and she starts choughing and chocking..... I could just see the reaction if someone on Fox did that... Everyone ready to jump on them and all......

I didn't even consider it unprofessional..... I would hate to think she was doing it on purpose..... Shit happens......

Peace
Joe

At Fox, her fellow broadcasters would have probably jumped on her like sharks onto a wounded baby seal. Thanks to Murdoch's leadership, they're a real nice bunch over there.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  22:56:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
I guess it was just too much pressure on her and she choked.

She sounded like she was having legitimate difficulty breathing, to me. No way to know for sure, but I think it is unlikely that she was cracking a joke.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2006 :  22:57:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
quote:
Please explain why you think people would "jump on" a Fox news reporter any more than some other reporter.
quote:

Peace
Joe
I obviously need to explain why that was unprofessional. I am sure she didn't choke on purpose. That is possibly the most ridiculous assumption I've seen anyone make.

Imagine you go to an opera and Brünnhilde starts choking in the middle of a song. That would be unprofessional. Somebody whose career is based upon performance should learn to supress those reflexes or at least have a backup plan to mitigate the ill efects.
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  07:45:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Please explain why you think people would "jump on" a Fox news reporter any more than some other reporter.
quote:

Peace
Joe
I obviously need to explain why that was unprofessional. I am sure she didn't choke on purpose. That is possibly the most ridiculous assumption I've seen anyone make.

Imagine you go to an opera and Brünnhilde starts choking in the middle of a song. That would be unprofessional. Somebody whose career is based upon performance should learn to supress those reflexes or at least have a backup plan to mitigate the ill efects.

It takes will to supress, and we are all chemical beings without free-will and the body decided to react to the choke before the event causing the chocking even happened.

eh, wrong thread......

I would say the director and/or the producer were unprofessional/ill-prepared.... However, I don't think I would place the blame on the anchor. They did try to cut to the images (if the swrching wasn't scripted), but left her audio on.

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.