Robertson Back for More
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  23:33:06  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Robertson makes a stunning prediction:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/02/robertson.predictions.ap/index.html

quote:
Evangelical broadcaster Pat Robertson said Tuesday that God has told him that a terrorist attack on the United States would cause a "mass killing" late in 2007.

"I'm not necessarily saying it's going to be nuclear," he said during his news-and-talk television show "The 700 Club" on the Christian Broadcasting Network.

"The Lord didn't say nuclear. But I do believe it will be something like that."

Also:

quote:
"I have a relatively good track record," he said. "Sometimes I miss."

So either God lies to Roberson, God was wrong, or Robertson is a fake. In any of the cases, why the hell should we trust one word that comes out of this mans mouth?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  01:38:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

Robertson makes a stunning prediction:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/02/robertson.predictions.ap/index.html

quote:
Evangelical broadcaster Pat Robertson said Tuesday that God has told him that a terrorist attack on the United States would cause a "mass killing" late in 2007.

"I'm not necessarily saying it's going to be nuclear," he said during his news-and-talk television show "The 700 Club" on the Christian Broadcasting Network.

"The Lord didn't say nuclear. But I do believe it will be something like that."

Also:

quote:

So either God lies to Roberson, God was wrong, or Robertson is a fake. In any of the cases, why the hell should we trust one word that comes out of this mans mouth?

Don't you mean a stunned prediction.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  02:53:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
From the Parson's Nose:

"When you talk to God, it's considered to be prayer; when God talks to you, it is known as schizophrenia."

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  03:52:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Don't worry, I have Robertson squealing like a pig, now.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  13:21:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
Milk jugs are infallible and so is Robertson.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  13:34:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Well this crappy prediction would not qualify for my contest thats for sure, but of course I didnt call it the 'What God told me will happen contest' either.

A truly sad individual.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  15:28:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis

Other than the constant, "If you're a smart person, you'll agree with me," that was a pretty good video.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  17:29:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
quote:
In the OT, didn't false prophets get stoned? According to xians, any prophet who's not 100% right is a false prophet, are they not?

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  17:53:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by the_ignored

quote:
In the OT, didn't false prophets get stoned? According to xians, any prophet who's not 100% right is a false prophet, are they not?

Could be that he was already stoned, and heard the voice of God while getting a massage from Larry.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  05:48:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Look who speaks for God, proof #49 God is imaginary.

You just need to see the first 20 seconds.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 01/09/2007 05:49:31
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  06:28:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
God help us when faith silences reason.
quote:
According to televangelist Pat Robertson, God told him that the United States will be victim to a massive terror attack in 2007. That comes on the heels of his 2006 prognostication in which God told him the United States would be hit by terrible storms and a possible tsunami. He claims that the spring storms in New England last year partially fulfilled his prediction.

But if God is talking to Robertson, why is the Almighty being so cagey? Why didn't God alert Robertson to the terror attacks that would occur on Sept. 11, 2001? Why all the vagueness about precisely what will happen and when?

The most sensible explanation, and the one most readers are probably thinking, is that Robertson is not actually conversing with God. Robertson is making this stuff up out of his own warped imagination and hedging his bets by being hazy on the details.

We think this because there is a healthy skepticism about televangelists who claim to be speaking for God.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  12:17:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis

Other than the constant, "If you're a smart person, you'll agree with me," that was a pretty good video.

Yes, I disagreed with the tone also. But it was still a good video.

- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  12:19:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Look who speaks for God, proof #49 God is imaginary.

You just need to see the first 20 seconds.

LMFAO

- Homer Simpson

- Prof. Frink

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.