Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 General Discussion
 Insane! Stark, raving mad, the lot of 'em!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  12:45:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
This poll a few years ago says that 2/3 believe in Satan.

http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/cretinism.htm

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  13:30:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chippewa

quote:
Originally posted by chaloobi

[quote]...4. Supporting crazy political agendas, like the Iraq war...

This is the main reason why fundies are cultivated and encouraged as one of Bush's political bases as well as within the Bush administration. Rove early-on realized that these groups could be used for votes.

The larger point is that this fundamentalism is not a religion but part of a political movement. Its average citizen believers aren't savvy enough to grasp that. They are deluded in their religious legends and beliefs and manipulated by inane appeals to pseudo-patriotism to support policies which, behind the scenes, are actually motivated to bring wealth or profits to Bush and his corporate supporters and oil cronies (including his Saudi masters). All at the expense of many diverse things ranging from Bush appointees editing and negating NASA science papers on environmental issues to Bush ignoramuses administering Baghdad without any knowledge of Islamic factions, and Bush forgetting about Ben Laden while ignoring young soldiers lives in Iraq.

Albeit much milder (for the moment), it sounds like the same tactics the Islamic Extremists use to get people to blow themselves up in support of some political agenda.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  13:35:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

This poll a few years ago says that 2/3 believe in Satan.

http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/cretinism.htm

Which is crazier? Belief in Satan or Belief that Jesus will be back in 2007? People believe this shit because they LOVE it and WANT very badly for it to be true. Why???

Side note - my Catholic highschool religion educators taught that Satan did not exist and seemed to suggest that this was standard Church teaching. Hell was not a supernatural, eternal torture chamber with Satan in charge. It's merely the denial of access to God for all eternity. Or something like that.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  21:45:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

I see the same when someone dies and christians are sad. ...why christians get upset about abortion (after all, all those little souls are going straight to heaven, which is a far better place (so I've been told))....

Here's my new pro-choice argument I have formed out of this insight.

If God needs these kids to live a life on Earth for whatever reason, [God always has those infamous reasons we can't know about], surely we are incapable of thwarting God's plans.

The aborted 'children' go to heaven.

Where's the harm here?

Of course the comeback will still be it's a sin. So it needs some work.

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  21:49:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

... Hell was not a supernatural, eternal torture chamber with Satan in charge. It's merely the denial of access to God for all eternity. Or something like that.

I've heard this position from a few folks.

So I ask, do all atheists look like tortured souls? Because they meet the definition of being in hell in this case.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 01/05/2007 21:49:45
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  18:04:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

quote:

... Hell was not a supernatural, eternal torture chamber with Satan in charge. It's merely the denial of access to God for all eternity. Or something like that.

I've heard this position from a few folks.

So I ask, do all atheists look like tortured souls? Because they meet the definition of being in hell in this case.

I don't know for sure, but I think the idea is that an atheist learns upon his death that God really IS real and is all loving, all beautiful, all compassionate (or whatever), and the pain, regret, longing (or whatever) of being separated from that for all eternity is really bad. Eternal fire and brimstone is entirely unnecessary, not to mention completely incompatible with an all-loving, all-compassionate God.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 01/06/2007 18:05:55
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.