New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  04:51:32  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Our national media, as represented by the TV pundits ("Pundit:" a synonym for "Blithering Twit"), are full of shit. Of course we've known this for a long time, but the ascension of Nancy Pelosi to Speakership of the House of Representatives has emphasized just how irresponsible they are.
quote:
Nancy Pelosi - "Damaged Goods"?

Before Nancy Pelosi was even inaugurated as Speaker, the super-smart Washington punditocracy had all but declared her an absurd failure -- a figure far too weak, vindictive and just generally ridiculous to be able to get anything done. After all, she backed Jack Murtha rather than Steney Hoyer for Majority Leader and decided she didn't want Jane Harman as Intelligence Committee Chair, so her whole Speakership had unraveled before it even began.

CNN's Wolf Blitzer spoke behind onscreen text that read: "Damaged Goods"? Blitzer inquired: "how badly is Nancy Pelosi damaged politically?" In U.S. News & World Report, Gloria Borger accused Pelosi of "demeaning" her "exalted position" and said she "look[s] like a girl eager to 'get back' at the guy she didn't like." MSNBC had a lengthy giggling session devoted to nothing but hilarious mockery over what a silly failure Pelosi was (as Digby, who watched that segment put it: they "have just spent half an hour discussing the fact that Nancy Pelosi ruined her own honeymoon and now it is really questionable whether she can lead").

Slate's Timothy Noah decreed: "Let Pelosi remain speaker for now. But let her know that, before the new Congress even begins, she has placed herself on probation." Noah warned her: "One more strike—even a minor misstep—and House Democrats will demonstrate that they, unlike Speaker-elect Pelosi and President Bush, know how to correct their mistakes." And the very-in-the-know New Republic commentators agreed heartily that Pelosi's first week had been a "real embarrassment" and a "disaster" and fretted in unison: "How can Pelosi recover?"

On and on that went for weeks -- the hapless Democrats burdened with this vindictive, bitter woman who had alienated everyone with her petty bickering to the point where her "ability to lead" was in question. And all of that wisdom solidified in mid-November, almost two full months before Pelosi was even Speaker.
And so forth....

It all raises the question of: why are these cretins getting paid? They heap groundless abuse upon anyone who might disagree with them and lie without embarrassment, defrauding their audiences with almost every statement.

Would you hire someone like any of the "Blithering Twits" in the article, or worse; O'Reilly or Limbaugh, or a clown-college dropout like Glenn Beck? I might, but not for any position that involved responsibility beyond carrying a bucket of slops to the hog-sty.

Hey 'Mooner, you could Moonscape these turkeys so easily! You could even do it without much effort on your part, just like they do every day. But perhaps not -- you would risk descending to their level...

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  05:43:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
It sure smells to me as though Pelosi was getting the full "talking points" Rove-style orchestrated attack, using the GOP's agents of influence in the press. That combined with people like Timothy Noah at Slate who seem to have pulled out every old misogynist stereotype they ever heard.

But I think it's just great that Pelosi has been steady through all this and didn't let it get her rattled. Contrary to the "weak and emotional" hype about her, she's proving herself a pretty good House leader, even under the full court press of a dirty Karl Rove type attack.

I'll have to look into "Mooning" the bastards. I gotta find just the right special, tricky approach, you know. Thanks for making me aware of this, anyhow. Oh, and there's never any problem of me sinking to the same level as the opponents I take one. After all, as a wannabe humorist, I have to put aside all semblance of personal decency and dignity as a matter of course. (Look what I did to Kil tonight, and I LIKE him.) I don't sink to their level, I dive deeper.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  06:02:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

It sure smells to me as though Pelosi was getting the full "talking points" Rove-style orchestrated attack, using the GOP's agents of influence in the press. That combined with people like Timothy Noah at Slate who seem to have pulled out every old misogynist stereotype they ever heard.

But I think it's just great that Pelosi has been steady through all this and didn't let it get her rattled. Contrary to the "weak and emotional" hype about her, she's proving herself a pretty good House leader, even under the full court press of a dirty Karl Rove type attack.

I'll have to look into "Mooning" the bastards. I gotta find just the right special, tricky approach, you know. Thanks for making me aware of this, anyhow. Oh, and there's never any problem of me sinking to the same level as the opponents I take one. After all, as a wannabe humorist, I have to put aside all semblance of personal decency and dignity as a matter of course. (Look what I did to Kil tonight, and I LIKE him.) I don't sink to their level, I dive deeper.

"'Man alive, I'm, a ball o' fire; I can dive down deeper and come up drier....' and that's what he done, right off'n that wagon seat!" Johnny Cash

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  15:07:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
So far so good....

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.