Skeptic Friends Network

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Creation/Evolution
 CMI talking about Pokemon evolution
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2550 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  18:09:44  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
Those idiots actually seem to believe that "refuting" the kind of evolution that Pokemon shows, refutes real life evolution??

quote:
In science fiction terms the Pokémon game seems plausible, so evolution may have found another ‘credibility niche' through the workings of children's games. While not teaching evolution at a rational level, it does tend to condition children into accepting as ‘normal' the idea of massive biological change. (It's a bit like the slippery ‘bait-and-switch' definitions that evolutionists used for the word ‘evolution'.)

In the real world, of course, such transformations are not observed. To change one type of creature into a radically different type requires a way to generate totally new genetic information. Evolutionists have still not found any mechanism whereby evolution could pass this unassailable hurdle.

Perhaps Pokémon has finally provided the answer. Is evolution observable, testable and repeatable? Yes, but only in the world of the Pokémon.

Published: 30 January 2007 (GMT+10)


The hell?

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 01/30/2007 18:10:02

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  18:27:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by the_ignored

Those idiots actually seem to believe that "refuting" the kind of evolution that Pokemon shows, refutes real life evolution??

quote:
In science fiction terms the Pokémon game seems plausible, so evolution may have found another ‘credibility niche' through the workings of children's games. While not teaching evolution at a rational level, it does tend to condition children into accepting as ‘normal' the idea of massive biological change. (It's a bit like the slippery ‘bait-and-switch' definitions that evolutionists used for the word ‘evolution'.)

In the real world, of course, such transformations are not observed. To change one type of creature into a radically different type requires a way to generate totally new genetic information. Evolutionists have still not found any mechanism whereby evolution could pass this unassailable hurdle.

Perhaps Pokémon has finally provided the answer. Is evolution observable, testable and repeatable? Yes, but only in the world of the Pokémon.

Published: 30 January 2007 (GMT+10)


The hell?











Grant Williams is a dumbass!!!!

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9666 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  20:25:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Awesome use of the smilies, Neurosis...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  20:39:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I don't know, this could be a good thing. When someone attempts to tackle a major scientific theory by criticizing a child's game, doesn't sound like they have much more left.

And while in Pokemon, it is actually called "evolving", it is much more comparable to "growing up".

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  22:16:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
Yea maybe. But it goes to show how little some people understand about evolution. Noting that basic evolutionary theory can be learned in about an hour at the local library, this is a bad sign before a good one. If such idiotic arguments fell upon an audience of laughted (as I showed above) it would be great, but so long as it is even entertained with an ounce of seriousness, it remains a sign of how little impact critical thought, logic, and science have on the average Joe Christian.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  22:33:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Personally, I hope Grant Williams succeeds! It's about time the theory of Pokemon evolution (and it's only a theory, not a fact!) was taken down.

Seriously, it's great to see an idiot like Williams spinning his wheels in the mud of irrelevancy, and providing wonderful unintended humor in the process. I hope more join him.



Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  00:12:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Seriously, it's great to see an idiot like Williams spinning his wheels in the mud of irrelevancy, and providing wonderful unintended humor in the process. I hope more join him.

They will


Beautiful Metaphor Mooner

The Truck Got Stuck (Quicktime Video, but you can listen with Windows Media Player)

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Edited by - Ghost_Skeptic on 01/31/2007 00:19:42
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  01:55:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Neat song, thanks, G_S!

Yup, I really do know how to sling them medleys and semaphores.


Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  05:14:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
"...it does tend to condition children into accepting as ‘normal' the idea of massive biological change. (It's a bit like the slippery ‘bait-and-switch' definitions that evolutionists used for the word ‘evolution'.) "

Oh for Pete's sake. What idiots.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  06:07:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I can shoot this Williams goober down with a single sentence: "Evolution only works in populations, never in individuals."




"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres


"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 01/31/2007 06:08:38
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  06:40:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
"I say if Chewbacca is from Endor, then you MUST acquit!"
-Johnny Cochran's Chewbacca defense from South Park.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  07:41:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Argument ad Pokemon, now?

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
25973 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  11:28:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic

The Truck Got Stuck (Quicktime Video, but you can listen with Windows Media Player)
Same video on YouTube, by Corl Lund and the Hurtin' Albertans.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2550 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  18:24:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
I forgot to mention that the CMI claim that evolution has "no new information" has been shot down before. I believe even the Dover trial transcript may have a mention of that, as the whiners at DI show:

http://www.evolutionnews.org/2006/07/peerreview_intelligent_design_1.html

Yes, it's a Discovery Institute article, but a read here shows that they're just trying to explain away new genetic information because the word "information" wasn't used!

as well as

http://evolutionblog.blogspot.com/2004/09/me-and-mr-ham.html
(that one is a good one!! He gets Ham caught in a question about genetic information that he can't answer, and Ham tries to weasel his way out of it.
quote:
Anyway, when it came to be my turn I very politely asked, in front of a group of about thirty or more audience members, why he persisted in repeating this charge even after biologists had responded to it many times. I rattled off several mechanisms by which information could increase and asked why he had not mentioned them in his talk. I finished by pointing out that since most of Dawkins' books address, at least indirectly, the subject of information growth, it was rather unfair to make it appear that he had no answer to the question.

Ham stuttered a bit and finally suggested I walk over to the book exhibit and pick up a copy of the book In the Beginning was Information by Werner Gitt, where I would find answers to all my questions. I politely thanked him for the suggestion and walked away. Happily, quite a few of the other audience members came with me and asked me some follow-up questions. I was more than happy to answer them.




http://www.asa3.org/archive/evolution/199903/0079.html

And some other article that I can't find right now...


>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 01/31/2007 18:34:04
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.


Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds.
Powered by @tomic Studio
Snitz Forums 2000