Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  13:40:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I was thinking the same thing as Starman, Kil. It's "Brilliant comments" that confuses the picture.

I imagine they just count the negative / positive votes and read very few of the letters anyway. And the chances are pretty good the news is being tailored to the largest market or perceived largest market. It is so dangerous for society when the sources which should be informing people are instead merely reinforcing their ignorance.

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  13:41:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

Great letter beskeptical. Much more concise and to the point than mine.

Don't sell yourself short, Martha. You included the facts their program should have contained. Who knows, maybe you educated one or more persons.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  14:45:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

I was thinking the same thing as Starman, Kil. It's "Brilliant comments" that confuses the picture.

I imagine they just count the negative / positive votes and read very few of the letters anyway. And the chances are pretty good the news is being tailored to the largest market or perceived largest market. It is so dangerous for society when the sources which should be informing people are instead merely reinforcing their ignorance.

Well, I did mark it as negative. I was tempted to place it in positive though...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  15:29:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
Well, that was certainly chaotic. It contained nothing more than christian sound bytes. And we should "Just shut up". What are they afraid of? Having to defend baseless assertions?

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  20:08:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moakley

Well, that was certainly chaotic. It contained nothing more than christian sound bytes. And we should "Just shut up". What are they afraid of? Having to defend baseless assertions?

Yes. Sorry I love answering rhetorical questions.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  23:17:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
This is what I sent as feedback:

So, aparently Karen Hunter is a Pulitzer Prize winner... Ok, once upon a time I believed that the Pulitzer Price was something extraordinary. With an idiot such as Karen Hunter winning it, the Pulitzer committee can't be very discriminate about who they choose for winner. The only thing Karen is missing is a white pointy hat and a white dress, and something to cover her face. And never again will the mention of a Pulitzer Prize invoke awe in me for the winner.

The only one with a sane view in the group was Stephen Smith who was a Christian, yet professed a belief in "Live and let live" for Americans. That was what America was founded for. The freedom to believe what they want as long as they don't impose their beliefs on people who don't want it, or violate other people's rights.

Debbie Schlussel seems to be cut from the same cloth as another blond female airhead conservative ex-columnist.

All in all, Paula Zahn set up the perfect setting with three Religionists to bash some Atheists, in very much the same way they could have been bashing Blacks 80 years ago, or Gays 20 years ago.

No atheist were there to defend against the lies of Karen Hunter and Debbie Schlussel.
Once upon a time, I thought CNN was a great news program with world-coverage, but now that image is greatly tarnished. One step further, and I might just as well tune in to FOX-"news". At that point I will choose the only sane alternatives: switch the TV off, or tune in Saturday Night Live.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  07:57:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Richard Dawkins will be the guest on CNN with Paula Zahn on Thursday, February 8th 2007 at 8pm EST.

http://richarddawkins.net/event,123,CNN

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  09:50:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
If anyone is interested in writing her, here is Karen Hunter's email address:

professorhunter@aol.com

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  17:02:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Dawkins is rescheduled till Friday the 9th.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  17:41:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
http://www.blogofthegods.com/2007/02/06/good-little-sheep-condemn-atheism-on-cnn/

Funny read, "Good Little Sheep Condemn Atheism on CNN", by God, none the less.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  20:08:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
This just in:

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives/2007/02/when_atheists_a.html

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  21:48:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
Retyped, for forum code, response to Schlussel:

quote:
from the horse's mouth:

First of all, the video of that segment appears nowhere on the net.

Your all over the net for you hateful remarks. http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7576
Now do your part and link to us.

quote:

I'm surprised these atheists would be so obedient to a higher power that told them to e-mail me since, after all, the one thing they're supposed to have in common is a lack of belief in a higher power.

No, the one thing atheist have in common is a belief in the higher power of rationality!

quote:

I don't mind receiving the atheist hate mail, since I know that in a few years, many of these same people will either be Muslim extremists (redundant) or helping the country fall further in its fight against the creep of Islamic imposition on America

That makes sense.

Actually, it is the bigots like you that wish to impose gag orders and remove freedom from America. The Islamic stereotype is "Death to America." not "Theocracy to America." that would be you guys.
quote:

Look at famous atheists and what happened to them.

Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Kil? How about I pull a famous one from your ranks, ever heard of St. Cyril? I even picked one you guys Sainted! We never endorsed the crazy dictators that you insist are atheist (as though we are a church of organization with set dogma).

quote:

If you don't believe in anything, you'll easily fall for virtual nothings.

Actually, if you believe the crazy things in the bible you will believe anything. Of course, atheist do believe in something, science. You should take a class or two. Actually, you should take several classes on several subjects.

quote:

That's why Europe is so quickly turning Islamist--because atheism dominates and Christianity is rapidly dying there.

How factually inaccurate of you to notice.

quote:

A Christian prayer at a public school graduation or football game?

Not if its school sponsered and required. If it is something you want to do in order to appeal to your god who is better than the other teams god, go ahead.

quote:

A Muslim prayer at a high school football game in Dearbornistan?

School sponsered? No. The mosque? What? Oh so, it would be ok if it was your religion, but the Muslims can't even pray in their own mosques? What is the matter you afaid Allah's football team will kick your god's team's ass?

You are a terrible bigot, and I don't get to say this often but if your god is real your going to Hell too.

- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Edited by - Neurosis on 02/08/2007 22:00:06
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  22:13:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
The worse a news station does, the more attention it gets. No wonder why our media is decaying so fast.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  22:19:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis

How about I pull a famous one from your ranks, ever heard of St. Cyril? I even picked one you guys Sainted!
Pssst... Schlussel is Jewish, not that it's obvious.

But it may help explain her throbbing passion for Islam.

Personally, I'd say leave her alone to wallow in her grief at being forever a runner-up to Coulter. Schlussel actually cares about something besides fame and money, so she'll never attain Ann's tiara as Queen of Vitriol, despite wanting it really really really bad.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  23:01:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis

How about I pull a famous one from your ranks, ever heard of St. Cyril? I even picked one you guys Sainted!
Pssst... Schlussel is Jewish, not that it's obvious.

But it may help explain her throbbing passion for Islam.

Personally, I'd say leave her alone to wallow in her grief at being forever a runner-up to Coulter. Schlussel actually cares about something besides fame and money, so she'll never attain Ann's tiara as Queen of Vitriol, despite wanting it really really really bad.

I personally think she is Jewish in the sense of heredity rather than religion. Either way, by her ranks, I really just mean the people who want to usher in a Christian Theocracy {tm} which certainly fits that group.

- Homer Simpson

- Prof. Frink

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.