Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  14:54:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I got centrist, just at the corner between liberal and statist.
However, that test was not a good one, other than get a very rough general leaning.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  02:20:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

... But you gotta think, how many people who call themselves "Libertarian" do it because their views are closer to Libertarianism than Dem or Republican? ...
So I wonder about how extreme the views are of all those people who raised their hands at TAM5, because from my personal experience, I've met more moderate self-declared Libertarians than extreme ones.

This is exactly the point I've been trying to make but however I've worded it has generated a negative response. I doubt very many of the skeptics who claim to be Libertarian are talking the actual party values. I suspect they really espouse the "image" of Libertarian rather than the actual defined ideals such as those that I found in the party platform.

Not that everyone isn't subject to the same in other parties. Republicans claim they are for smaller government yet have a blind spot for big military spending and they don't view the morality laws many Republicans want in the same way they view gun control laws. Democrats claim to be pro-labor and pro-middle class, but they get their campaign funds from the same big corporate donors as the Republicans. It must have influence.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  02:58:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
marfknox said:
quote:
Examples of this would be when he praises how regulations of water have made our tap water so healthy (he did this while denouncing and mocking people who buy bottled water) or when he talked about regulations on foods (while denouncing critics of genetic engineering). He seems to think that some government is good, but that when government gets big it is simply not competent enough to do helpful things without simultaneously doing hurtful things.

Where, exactly, did you get the impression that libertarians were against all government?

The idea, as I understand it, is minimal government. Basic services, national defense, legal system. All kept to the minimum size needed.

Anyone who looks at our government today has to admit that it is retardedly large.

And really... how many democrats does anyone know that agree 100% with the official democrat party line? Same for republicans. Sure, you can find a few, but not many.

beskeptigal is being unreasonable in her assertion that any person who describes themselves as a libertarian should be able to defend the entire official platform. She KNOWS damn well it is unreasonable too. She has a pet peeve against a few libertarian ideas so she uses the FAUXNews tactic of picking the most unreasonable thing and accusing all the people in that party of being unreasonable.

I'm sure she knows very well that the official platform of a political party is decided by a committee. I'm sure she is aware that the most vocal and active people in a party are likely to be on those committees. I'm sure she is aware that all political parties have some people with extreme views. And I'm sure she is aware that platform committees do their best to create a platform inclusive of as many planks as possible as long as they are not contradictory and represent the views of some members of the party.

So what's left appears to be some crazed vendetta against libertarians, much in the same style as the right-wing vendetta against liberals.

Lets face it, there are people in this country who really do believe an unrestricted free market is a good thing, that the US was founded on "christian principles", and that guns are evil.

But you can't rationally crititicize an entire political party because of some things a few people in that party believe.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  06:29:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I got centrist, just at the corner between liberal and statist.
However, that test was not a good one, other than get a very rough general leaning.

Very rough.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.