Wal-Mart sponsors Christianity?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  08:45:03  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
So last night I had to go to Wal-Mart to buy some food.

Normally, I never go to Wal-Mart. I don't like to support that corporation; plus around these parts, the normal clientele gives me the heebie-jeebies. But I digress.

As I am leaving, I hear a someone talking via loudspeakers. As I got closer to my car, I noticed the specific keywords of your typical christian lunatic spewing hate and lies.

I look to see where this person was. His bus/van was located on the Wal-Mart parking lot near the outer edge.

Does anyone know if parking lots are considered public property?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  08:54:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

So last night I had to go to Wal-Mart to buy some food.

Normally, I never go to Wal-Mart. I don't like to support that corporation; plus around these parts, the normal clientele gives me the heebie-jeebies. But I digress.

As I am leaving, I hear a someone talking via loudspeakers. As I got closer to my car, I noticed the specific keywords of your typical christian lunatic spewing hate and lies.

I look to see where this person was. His bus/van was located on the Wal-Mart parking lot near the outer edge.

Does anyone know if parking lots are considered public property?

I don't know but Wal-Mart allows you to park your RV in their lot for 3 days - why anyone would want to spend 3 daysin Wal Mart parking lot is beyond me.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  11:43:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
Private property, unless the state or local governmet bought/built it. To my knowledge.. well as private as any other property in a public place. They should be able to do whatever the hell they want to do, and let be done anything they want.

But, I suppose anything is up in the air when the public can dictate what is done on private property through legislation instead of choice.

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  12:42:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
O.I., I totally agree that Wal-Mart should be able to do what they want. As much as I, with my monies, can do whatever it is I want.

I just wanted to know if Wal-Mart allowed this, or if was public land, in which I fully support someone yelling at the top of their lungs whatever it is they want to yell about.

It will determine if I fully boycott Wal-Mart.

FWIW, the only reason I (rarely) go to Wal-Mart is that, in this area at least, they stock some hard to find Latin American foods, like tomatillos, crema fresca, close-to-authentic queso, and some types of chilies. Unfortunately there is not a large farmer's market, especially one that is open late at night, and there are not many locally owned latino markets.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  16:08:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
I remain skeptical of the major attacks on Wal-Mart. I just watched a movie attacking Wal-Mart. I remain skeptical because they don't say that other companies do many of the same things, but charge higher prices. I haven't investigated who is behind the attacks, but it smells kind of funny. Maybe not.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  19:11:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Parking lots of private business are private property. A cop can't give you a ticket for running the stopsign in a mall parking lot.

I doubt that WalMart would grant some nutcase permission to spout fundy religious crap over loudspeakers in their parkinglot. More likely is that the nut just showed up and started his "preaching".

Did you ask the manager that night if the had given permission to that person to do what he was doing?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  20:21:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude
Did you ask the manager that night if the had given permission to that person to do what he was doing?

No, I didn't for two reasons: 1) I didn't know what the legal grounds were, and I wanted to have some knowledge before I asked and B) I was running late.

I will go back next weekend and see if the loony is back. At that time I will be askin'.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  06:55:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

O.I., I totally agree that Wal-Mart should be able to do what they want. As much as I, with my monies, can do whatever it is I want.

I just wanted to know if Wal-Mart allowed this, or if was public land, in which I fully support someone yelling at the top of their lungs whatever it is they want to yell about.

It will determine if I fully boycott Wal-Mart.

FWIW, the only reason I (rarely) go to Wal-Mart is that, in this area at least, they stock some hard to find Latin American foods, like tomatillos, crema fresca, close-to-authentic queso, and some types of chilies. Unfortunately there is not a large farmer's market, especially one that is open late at night, and there are not many locally owned latino markets.

Wal-Mart is something else. I definitly have a love-hate relationship with them.

The power of the dollar and utils tows all companies into the line of thinking of the majority of their customers, or lack thereof.

Ummmm... Latin-america foods...... I am lucky, I am 45 minutes away from a "Jungle Jims". They specialize in ethnic/national foods. Aisle after aisle of foods for each and every taste. Snacks, ingrediants, foods, cheeses, breads.... yumm....

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  13:21:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

I remain skeptical of the major attacks on Wal-Mart. I just watched a movie attacking Wal-Mart. I remain skeptical because they don't say that other companies do many of the same things, but charge higher prices. I haven't investigated who is behind the attacks, but it smells kind of funny. Maybe not.

Walmart is the worst offender and no other corporations with retail outlets are quite as bad.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  13:33:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
No, I didn't for two reasons: 1) I didn't know what the legal grounds were, and I wanted to have some knowledge before I asked and B) I was running late.

I will go back next weekend and see if the loony is back. At that time I will be askin'.

Just ask the manager if they let the crazy guy preach over his loudspeaker in their parking lot.

Regardless of the answer, register a complaint with the manager.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.