Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  00:57:10  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Anybody think this will be worth the $55 admission fee?

Press Release(Source: Discovery Institute) :
Intelligent Design Scientists Will Showcase Evidence Challenging Evolution at Knoxville Conference
quote:
The emerging scientific theory of intelligent design is a hot topic at universities and research institutions around the world, and is now the focus of a day-long conference called Darwin vs. Design, coming to the Knoxville Convention Center on March 24th.

Join The New York Times bestselling author Lee Strobel and a panel of scientists and experts at the Darwin vs. Design Conference as they explain the evidence for Darwin's theory of evolution and the emerging scientific theory of intelligent design Saturday, March 24th.

Featured speakers include:
  • Lee Strobel, journalist and bestselling author of The Case for a Creator.
  • Dr. Stephen Meyer, Director, Center for Science and Culture (CSC) at Discovery Institute, and co-editor of Darwinism, Design, and Public Education
  • Dr. Michael Behe, Lehigh University biochemist and author of the bestselling book Darwin's Black Box: The Biochemical Challenge to Evolution, and CSC senior fellow
  • Dr. Jay Richards, co-author of The Privileged Planet, and CSC senior fellow
Attendees will interact with intelligent design scientists and philosophers whose discoveries in cosmology, biology, physics, and DNA present astonishing scientific evidence that is overturning the evolutionary thinking of the past. Conference goers will hear firsthand the astounding implications these discoveries are having on our society, our politics and our culture.
So all you psychics out there, what kind evidence do you predict these distinguished scientists will be presenting?
Astrological charts? A moon rock signed by god the designer?

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  01:15:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
quote:
...what kind evidence do you predict these distinguished scientists will be presenting?

Apart from the usual crap? Nothing.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  03:42:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Attendees will interact with intelligent design scientists and philosophers whose discoveries in cosmology, biology, physics, and DNA present astonishing scientific evidence that is overturning the evolutionary thinking of the past. Conference goers will hear firsthand the astounding implications these discoveries are having on our society, our politics and our culture.
Sorta reads like something you'd find at a midway freak show or in the Weekly world News, doesn't it? Why does everything have to be "astounding" and/or "astonishing?"

I find it interesting to note that student admission is only &5.00. So, while student discounts are not uncommon, the disparity of it and, considering the subject and the reputation for dishonesty of the Discovery Institute, makes it look like bait-casting to me.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  04:07:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I notice that they have announced that the ID crowd will "interact" with itself. Probably with security people present to make sure it stays that way.

Me, I already made a prediction of what their "evidence" will be:

A study involving microorganisms with statistical results that they will say proves that mutations don't tend to create greater complexity. The results will be grandly pointed to as disproof of evolution, but the devil will be in the complex statistical details.

If the experiments were not outright rigged, it will eventually be shown that the conclusions were erroneous or contrived. If the experiment itself is faked, it will of course not have repeatable results in other labs. Either way, the results will be presented with such a wealth of data that it won't be possible to discredit them during the conference itself. I suspect they will get their "anti-evolution" results through a combination of subtly designed experimental bias, and bad statistical analysis of the results.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  05:46:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
But note-- again-- that its not "evidence for ID" or some such. Rather, it's a critique of evolution. And given the star-studded cast, this seems more like a thinly-veiled fund-raiser more than anything. I mean, Lee Strobel, made famous by his Case for Christ (critiqued here)?

Why a Christian apologist would bother appearing at an ID conference is unclear. Unlesss...

Oh, right. Looking at Mr Strobel's schedule, we see that on the 22nd, he'll be in Knoxville for a "Case for Christ" event. Then, on the 23rd-24th, he'll be doing a "Case for Creator" event. This event is linked to the DI Darwin vs. Design Conference page.

But ID has nothing to do with Christianity.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  08:16:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
ID is simply an historical curiosity made possible by a mad billionaire. It's an attempt to put Creationist preachers in lab smocks, and scientists in monk's frocks. Without millions from Ahmanson, it would be an almost forgotten curiosity already. But millions of dollars has a certain staying power of its own.

These whores will, most of them, be willing to keep up the charade as long as they are well paid to do so. Once that's gone, most of them will simply sink back into the primordial goo that is Creationism, and sink from sight. Some among the few scientists at DI may try to patch things up with science, but their works will be remembered.

[Edit: Spelling, my old nemesis.]

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/21/2007 01:52:57
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  10:19:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:
Sorta reads like something you'd find at a midway freak show or in the Weekly world News, doesn't it? Why does everything have to be "astounding" and/or "astonishing?"

I find it interesting to note that student admission is only &5.00. So, while student discounts are not uncommon, the disparity of it and, considering the subject and the reputation for dishonesty of the Discovery Institute, makes it look like bait-casting to me.

I'd rather see a carnival side show.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  03:32:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis

quote:

quote:

I'd rather see a carnival side show.

And the difference is....?

Throughout it's existance, the Discovery Institute has behaved exactly like a side show; carneys shilling the unbelievable and vulgar to the uncritical and gullible, albeit on a larger scale. Dembski & Co. are shills for creationism with all of the cheap, canvas backgrounds so common in side shows; they are the geeks biting the heads off intellectual chickens.

Should I attend one of these things, and in all truth, I'd like to (but not $55 worth), I'd go in with a lot of curosity, and my billfold in my boot. Just like on the Midway.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  23:52:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
"emerging scientific theory of intelligent design is a hot topic at universities and research institutions around the world"

What an alternate Universe these guys inhabit.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  05:36:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

"emerging scientific theory of intelligent design is a hot topic at universities and research institutions around the world"

What an alternate Universe these guys inhabit.

No kidding-- is there any scientific theory of ID that anyone would consider to be "emerging"?!?
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  06:30:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Would degree mills count as universities? Or just "christian universities"...I always wondered what science was taught at Jerry Falwell's "univeristy".

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  06:33:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message
quote:
Should I attend one of these things, and in all truth, I'd like to (but not $55 worth)...

Do I see a "Send filthy To The DvD Conference" drive in the near future? For a full report, of course.

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  07:40:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by leoofno

quote:
Should I attend one of these things, and in all truth, I'd like to (but not $55 worth)...

Do I see a "Send filthy To The DvD Conference" drive in the near future? For a full report, of course.

Sure, why not? It's a marvelous idea! O'course, I'd have to get a suit and a Limbaugh tie, and, lessee..., which pistol(s) should I take? I really don't know what's in firearms fashion amongst the Creationists these days.

Pistols.... wait a minute; maybe it's not such a good idea, after all. Jail is such a bummer!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  09:17:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by leoofno

quote:

Sure, why not? It's a marvelous idea! O'course, I'd have to get a suit and a Limbaugh tie, and, lessee..., which pistol(s) should I take? I really don't know what's in firearms fashion amongst the Creationists these days.

Pistols.... wait a minute; maybe it's not such a good idea, after all. Jail is such a bummer!

I think it would be a good idea to send an SFN representative to any really interesting creationist show if there's someone close by whos willing to report back. (Really Interesting = enough interest to get enough folks to donate.)

I'm good for $10 for the DvD Conference.

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  01:35:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Pretty soon anything that comes out of the DI crowd will have to be posted in the Humor folder:
Bill Dembski claims:
quote:
Vestigial structures in biology are commonly cited as evidence for evolution, and it may well be that they did evolve. But if it is evidence of evolution, it is evolution in the wrong direction — it's not the sort of function enhancing/innovating evolution that is supposed to give evolutionary theory its bite. Vestigial structures, after all, are structures that have lost their function. If all of evolution proceeded in this fashion, we'd quickly descend to a world of nonfunctionality.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  04:18:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Old Bill conveniently ignores the fact that evolution is about increased survival capacity, not "direction." Whales, for instance, did not "devolve" by losing the function of their real legs. They simply tossed out appendages that served their ancestors well on land, but got in the way of efficient swimming as their tail flukes took over primary aquatic propulsion.

Any "direction" is the "right" direction, so long as it works. Of course Dembski is not looking to shine a light on nature, but to cast the dark, obscuring shadow of Creationism over it.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/23/2007 04:20:32
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.