Page: of 4

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  10:58:38  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
http://www.newstatesman.com/200702190014
quote:
British military sources told the New Statesman, on condition of anonymity, that "the US military switched its whole focus to Iran" as soon as Saddam Hussein was kicked out of Baghdad. It continued this strategy, even though it had American infantry bogged down in fighting the insurgency in Iraq.

In fact, the real war hasn't ended since the Shah was put into power.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  11:15:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Well, a "real war" with Iran never began, but a cold war of sorts has been going on since the revolution there. I repeat: Watch for US general officers to resign or retire early, as a sign of an impending hot war (invasion) with Iran. Since such an invasion would be practically impossible, some such officers, probably after after giving their advice, would quit. One or two might even speak out. That's the canary-in-the-mine to watch.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  11:43:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Actually, if you're on the losing side, as Iran (and Iraq) has been, then it is very real. Many people died in the cold war between the west and Iraq.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  13:23:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Yeah our war in Iran lasted 8 years and our troops were wearing Iraqi uniforms at the time, but make no mistake we were at war with Iran.

That said, we have been massing ships near Iran in the last week or two and Baghdad Bob's counterpart is saying there is nothing to worry about. Well at least we can end the charade that we are not at war with Islam.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  20:31:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf
Well at least we can end the charade that we are not at war with Islam.

Just because Iran is an Islamic theocracy doesn't make war with Iran the equivalent of war against Islam. That makes about as much sense as saying Korea and Vietnam proves the US was at war with Asians.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  23:14:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I don't care what the Hell it might be equivalent to, I'm just terrified we'll invade Iran and get creamed! It's a nation roughly three times the size and population of Iraq, and we have never finished subduing Iraq. Invading Iran would be madness.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  23:36:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Invading Iran would be madness.

There you go again Half, exercising that gift for understatement.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Edited by - Dude on 02/20/2007 23:36:50
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  05:53:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mycroft

quote:

Just because Iran is an Islamic theocracy doesn't make war with Iran the equivalent of war against Islam. That makes about as much sense as saying Korea and Vietnam proves the US was at war with Asians.

I didnt say anything about Asians, because the Vietnam War and Korea were not connected in any way other than their opponent. I stand by my statement made in jest.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  07:14:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
Scares me to death. With George W. Bush seeking strength from a higher father who knows what this higher father is motivating him to do. I sincerely hope that "Revelationary War" is not imminent.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  07:37:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
That makes about as much sense as saying Korea and Vietnam proves the US was at war with Asians.

Right. They're not just at war with Asians or members of a particular religion, they're (along with others in the West) at war with anyone in the "Third World" that wish to run their own affairs.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  09:54:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message
quote:
I didnt say anything about Asians, because the Vietnam War and Korea were not connected in any way other than their opponent. I stand by my statement made in jest.

Okay, so what evidence do you have that if we were to go to war with Iran, that Islam would have played any role in the decision?
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  11:36:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Well as I noted my statement was made in jest, I do not of course believe that any war is as simple as "at war with Islam". There is however plenty of reason to think that Islam (version X) is the unofficial enemy. Now that the cold war is over we cannot hide behind it as our reason for backing Isreal. The hard reality is that America is enemies with Isreal's enemies and Isreal's enemy is Islam, we just swicthed our justification to anti-terrorism recently. The idea that Isreal is in the right because they dont use classic terrorism is absurd, if you give a fanatic believer the choice of geurilla war or subjugation to a holy enemy, they will choose geurilla war. Those tactics are only frowned upon because we do not use them/are not forced to use them.

Suicide bombers are a Pandora's box and cannot be stopped even if ordained, the majority of them do not do it for religious reasons, but for revenge.

Sorry to take this off-topic, but if Iran didnt want Isreal destroyed we would not be having this conversation.

Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 02/21/2007 11:39:04
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  18:52:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mycroft

quote:

You're wrong. BigPapaSmurf didn't say was against Arabs.
Korea and Vietnam wasn't against Asians, it was against a philosophy (political philosophy).
In Iran it will be against a philosophy (religious philosophy).

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  18:55:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

quote:
That makes about as much sense as saying Korea and Vietnam proves the US was at war with Asians.

Right. They're not just at war with Asians or members of a particular religion, they're (along with others in the West) at war with anyone in the "Third World" that wish to run their own affairs.

I think you nailed it Gorgo.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  18:57:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
Korea and Vietnam wasn't against Asians, it was against a philosophy (political philosophy).

The United States attacked Korea and Vietnam (North and South) against the philosophy of people living their own lives in peace.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  22:37:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse
You're wrong. BigPapaSmurf didn't say was against Arabs.

Nor did I claim he did, however what he did say was just as senseless.

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse
In Iran it will be against a philosophy (religious philosophy).

Does that mean you can't think of anything non-religious Iran's government might have done that has exacerbated the situation?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.