Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 General Skepticism
 L. Ron Hubbard reaches out from the grave..
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Marc_a_b
Skeptic Friend

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2002 :  16:43:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Marc_a_b an AOL message Send Marc_a_b a Private Message
quote:
I don't know True Believers never seem inclined in actually accessing any information contrary to their faith. You already have to have doubts to seek out information

In the case of this cult there are a lot of things going on that the average member does not know about. Newer members and people being recruited might find out things, like the Xenu story, and other nonsence of the upper level teachings. Then there are 'true believers' who think they can go out and correct the errors of critics. Such as [url="http://www.xenu.net/archive/personal_story/tory/"Tory Bezazian[/url], a member for 30 years, then after much talking with critics on ARS she got out.

quote:
Those things tend to develope a live of their own. I recall a group of Ex-Scientology members who kept their faith after they left the church and founded a religion of their own based on Scientologys teachings.

If it wasn't for Co$'s policy of crushing splinter groups I'm sure there would be quite a few more of them than there are. The biggest is the Freezone, who had a number of big people in it like Dave Mayo, who was LRH's auditor and helped author much of the NOTs materials. I don't doubt there will be little bits and peices for some time to come, but the Church itself will probably not last much longer than Mscavage.

Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2002 :  17:49:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
quote:
The Catholic Church survived just fine the invention of the printing press and the translation of the Bible in languages the followers could actually understand.

True, but remember, even at that time, the general public didn't really know how to read, so the Catholic Church still had power.

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your common sense." -Buddha
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2002 :  17:56:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
quote:

...at that time, the general public didn't really know how to read, so the Catholic Church still had power.

But if you'll recall the reason the general public couldn't read was because of the Roman Catholic Church in the first place.

-------
The brain that was stolen from my laboratory was a criminal brain. Only evil will come from it.
Go to Top of Page

Xev
Skeptic Friend

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2002 :  19:50:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Xev an ICQ Message Send Xev a Private Message
quote:
The birth of the internet was the beginning of the end for Co$. They depended on secrecy and controll of information.

http://www.xenu.net/archive/events/censorship/

Other than the $oS members, I'd say that the 'net is going to have a very nasty effect on $cientology.

Xev -Ad astra!- Bellringer
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2002 :  14:17:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message
quote:
I recall a group of Ex-Scientology members who kept their faith after they left the church and founded a religion of their own based on Scientologys teachings.

That would be EST. And I've heard that they're gasping their last...

Free speech; excercise it or SHUT UP!
Go to Top of Page

babthrower

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2002 :  16:52:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send babthrower a Private Message
"...and goes after troubled souls."

In July 2001 a very good friend who was recovering from heroin addiction cold-turkeyed on methedone. I was concerned she was in danger, because this was aginst medical advice. So I went on the Intern. to see what I could learn. I went to a site PURPORTING to be giving medical advice to heroid addicts. Invited to leave a message, I said basically what you see here. The reply was that methedone was more harmful to the body than heroin, and several other amazing things. So I researched methedone and found no confirmation anywhere else. Suspicious, I dug deeper. The site was a scientology front. This is disgusting.

Edited by - babthrower on 02/17/2002 16:58:08
Go to Top of Page

babthrower

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2002 :  17:07:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send babthrower a Private Message
"But at least the people who set up other religions actualy believed in their spiritual claims. Dianetics started as an alternative mental health therapy."

I don't care what they're telling us now. Norm Ellison wrote years ago that when he and a bunch of other starving scifi writers inclucing lron were at a convention and sharing a cheap hotel room, over many beers they discussed the sad lot of pulp fiction writers (themselves). Ellison says LRon said that starting a religion was the perfect scam, as it was even tax free. He mused that the perfect religion would be designed to appeal to the technical and/or scientific minded, which was what was missing from the spectrum of available religions. Some time later, Dianetics was published. The rest we know. Including his court battles over tax exemptions.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.